Hilux 4.0 Auto - Mysterious Gearbox Thump

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: HILLCREST
Vehicle: 12 4.0 V6 4x4.

Hilux 4.0 Auto - Mysterious Gearbox Thump

Post by ROOKIE »

Hello All.

I am a new Hilux owner, having picked up my vehicle last thursday.

The transmission of my Hilux has an odd characteristic.When it is warm and I bring the vehicle to a halt or pull away there is a distinct thump that is felt through the seat. It does not generate a sound, but it can be felt.

The toyota dealer was adamant that it was normal untill I INSISTED that I drive another 4.0 with the workshop manager present, and that characeristic was not present on the other vehicle.

Now, have any of you expereinced / are experiencing the same problem and do you have a possible solution that I should guide the dealership with?

So far they are replacing the torque converter under warranty (booked in today), but when I speak to the workshop manger I am not convinced this will solve the problem.

Any guidance will be mauch appreciated.

Thanks
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Hilux 4.0 Auto - Mysterious Gearbox Thump

Post by OOOOMS »

Paul, I have not heard or come across such a problem before....?

However the dealer MUST solve this :!:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Couldn't it maybe be a centre bearing not mounted properly and when torque is applied it causes the thump or maybe a gearbox / transfercase mount?
To God be the glory
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ROOKIE »

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply. So far, extensive use of Google has found this:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... +box+thump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a little apprehensive about the dealer as well, as the vehicle has been back to the dealer twice and has picked up a dent on both occasions. They are also not willing to replace the auto transmission filter fluid as they are concerned that 'fiddling with componets may cause further problems'. What nonsense. I thought Land Rover was full of the proverbial :shifty:

They (the workshop manger and the sales person) have in thier favor undertaken to solve the problem when I met with them.

CasKru, This is the second time it has been back, the first time they checked the props and 'greased the sliders' which they said should solve the problem. Unfortunatley, it didnt.

Thanks for the replies all.
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Honestly I wouldn't accept this one bit. There is clearly a problem on the vehicle, the onus is on the dealer to diagnose and fix the problem. My fear is that there may be a problem in the gearbox itself, which could become terminal after the guarantee period. Then you sit with a seriously expensive repair problem. Remember the Consumer Protection Act is your friend!

Just some pointers from the act:

- You will have the right to return unsafe or defective items within six months of purchase or delivery.
- You will be entitled to return the item to the supplier - without any penalty, at the supplier's risk and expense - if it is defective or not what you were sold.
- You decide whether you want a refund, a replacement or a repair - not the company.
- If you opt for a repair and it fails within three months, the supplier is obliged to replace the item or refund you what you paid for it.

Mr B
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Paul, if your Hilux is a 4x4, ask the dealer to take the rear propshaft of and use only the front wheels in High range. If the problem is in the rear propshaft or diff, the sound will be gone. This just a way to know for sure if it is the diff or gearbox. Good luck!!
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ROOKIE »

jacques kotze wrote:Paul, if your Hilux is a 4x4, ask the dealer to take the rear propshaft of and use only the front wheels in High range. If the problem is in the rear propshaft or diff, the sound will be gone. This just a way to know for sure if it is the diff or gearbox. Good luck!!
Hi Jacques.

Thank you for the responce. I will keep the suggestion in mind. The annoying thing is that it doesnt make a noise, just a small thump felt through the seat, kinda like a kick in the pants :laugh2:

Thanks again!
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a gearbox mount is loose, or even the cross member for the box where it mounts to the chassis. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ROOKIE »

Hi all.

Just some feedback. The dealer replaced the torque converter, and the problem persists.

I have asked the dealer the 'where to from here question' and am waiting for a plan / responce. I want to give the dealer an opportunity to fix the problem before I get 'insistent'

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. If you have any further thoughts, please let me have them!
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.

Return to “The Workshop”