A few general D4D quizzers?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

A few general D4D quizzers?

Post by Christian Kuun »

I am just curious about a few things, but cant find much mention on the forum- perhaps I suck at using the search function....

The D4D Hiluxes, when exactly did they get the "upgraded" ceramic coated injectors?
Did these "new" injectors really fix the whole injector issue?
Is the diesel pump still a big bother?
Would a person still need to, or benefit from, adding a UDF?
What would the cost of the UDF filtration systems be, should a person opt to add it?
Oh, and the gearbox- is that really as *a* as everyone says it is?

Basically just wondering if the "revamped" model, which was around 2008 or 2009, is any better than the older 2006/2007.
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: A few general D4D quizzers?

Post by OOOOMS »

Christian Kuun wrote:I am just curious about a few things, but cant find much mention on the forum- perhaps I suck at using the search function....

The D4D Hiluxes, when exactly did they get the "upgraded" ceramic coated injectors? 2010/1 models
Did these "new" injectors really fix the whole injector issue? To an extent, not heard of any problems yet, but it is early days
Is the diesel pump still a big bother? Was it ever?
Would a person still need to, or benefit from, adding a UDF? No, it will however give you peace of mind
What would the cost of the UDF filtration systems be, should a person opt to add it? Appro. R2.5k, there are cheaper options
Oh, and the gearbox- is that really as tjol as everyone says it is? What tjol ? Some have over 300 000km's on and no issues?

Basically just wondering if the "revamped" model, which was around 2008 or 2009, is any better than the older 2006/2007. Only the new injectors 'ceramic' give a bit increased performance 2010/11
The clutch is however a problem that many have complained about, me included and resolved under warranty
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Christian Kuun »

:lol: Tjol= a moderator that did not like my epiphet. You know, tjol like in gagga, terrible, poefies.

Thanks anyway. I was under the impression that they got new tips in 2009 or something like that, when they got the cruise control, steering wheel placed radio buttons etc etc etc
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Christian Kuun wrote::lol: Tjol= a moderator that did not like my epiphet. You know, tjol like in gagga, terrible, poefies.

Thanks anyway. I was under the impression that they got new tips in 2009 or something like that, when they got the cruise control, steering wheel placed radio buttons etc etc etc
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Could have been towards the end of 2009....not 100% sure :?:
jagermeister
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Postmasburg Kalahari
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D D/Cab 4x4 XGS Full suspension Long range tank Onca Front and Rear Bumpers 12000 Winch Roof Rack Light Bars Snorkel Rock Sliders
Club VHF Licence: X 90

Post by jagermeister »

:taunt: :taunt: Towards end of 2009 :taunt: :taunt:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Christian Kuun »

:roll: hhhmmm, and the workshop manager at Honeydew says they have never changed anything on the injectors, or if they have, he has no knowledge of it???? Makes you think....

Anyway, I was thinking- if you buy any of the 2 and they have the same mileage on, say 70 000km. You work on 3km/l difference in fuel consumption and average fuel at R10/L and you want to keep the vehicle for 100 000km. You will have spent R30k more on juice for the V6. Toy says the services cost roughly the same (lets use R2k for the argument), but you will have 11 services on the stinky vs the 7 on the V6. You will also add a UDF system AND we can factor in Injectors- So, 8k more on services, 15k for injectors and 5k for the UDF (and there is a little left for that clutch) gets you to pretty much of a muchness over a 100 000 kilometers.

Seems like it pretty much boils down to personal preference. Do you like stinky or do you like power.....
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
Bacchus
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux D/C, 3.0 D-4D, 4x4

Post by Bacchus »

I bought my Hilux in May 2008 - the facelift with chrome bumper etc. According to the Dealer as well as an article in the Toyota magazine it was the first model with the ceramic coated injectors.
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Christian Kuun wrote: you will have 11 services on the stinky vs the 7 on the V6.
Seems like it pretty much boils down to personal preference. Do you like stinky or do you like power.....
Looks like I know what your personal preference is, Christian! :twisted:
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”