Bent Tie Rod

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Bent Tie Rod

Post by SideKick »

Hallo julle.

As gevolg van my wat n bitjie sleg gery het :angel: het ek my Tie Rod (Daai lang dun rod tussen jou voorste wiele) gebuig :thumbdown:

Waar kan ek n nuwe een (of n ou een) kry. Ek bel oral maar niemand kan my help nie.

Help asb!!! :beg:

Dankie!!!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Bent Tie Rod

Post by ThysdJ »

buig hom reguit... en laat stel jou wheel alignment. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Post by SideKick »

ThysdJ wrote:buig hom reguit... en laat stel jou wheel alignment. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Doen ek dit self? En hoe? Of vat ek dit iewers heen om te laat reguit buig?
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As Thys said, bend it straight and take it for wheel alignment. Just take it off first .... don't try to bend it straight while it's still on the vehicle .... you could damage the tie rod ends. You can also work more accurately with it off ...... I'm not sure, but I suspect that it's not solid, a tube and not solid bar, so just be careful not to kink the rod. Also do not change the position of the tie rod end adjustments, so that when you re-fit it and take it for alignment it's close to where it should be and not scuff / wear the tyres unnecessarily. (If you have already made an interim adjustment, I hope you remember how many turns you adjusted by.) ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Hi Guys

As you guys might know by now, I'm still a little bit mechanically challanged :angel:

With that in mind, I think the guy at TWT IS AN IDIOT!

I lookend at a friends Defender and his Tie Rod is A LOT more krooked than mine. There shouldn't be ANY reason for them not to be able to alighn my wheels (I think). I mean, that's why you have the ball joints on both sides of the rod isn't it?

Please take a look at these pics of my Tie Rod and give me your opinions please!

I took two pics, one from each side.
IMAGE_169.jpg
IMAGE_170.jpg
Thanks!!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Jou steering drag link lyk ook vir my gebuig.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Lollie wrote:Jou steering drag link lyk ook vir my gebuig.
Nope. Hy is reguit. Hy lyk net gebuig oor hy so aangepak is aan die linker kant onder.

Wat dink jy van die Tie Rod?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

SideKick wrote:Wat dink jy van die Tie Rod?
Mooi reguit... daar is niks fout met hom nie, jy moet Kaspaas sinne kom kyk... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

ThysdJ wrote:
SideKick wrote:Wat dink jy van die Tie Rod?
Mooi reguit... daar is niks fout met hom nie, jy moet Kaspaas sinne kom kyk... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Na ek en Tinus al van 2 uur af sukkel om die hele Tie Rod af te kry en nie kon nie, het Jacques hom nou in 5 minute met n 10 pond hammer af gekry :think:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

No reason why the wheel alignment cannot be set with a bent tie-rod. If you had a bent steering arm, that's a totally different matter, but from what you described there isn't much of a chance that you have bent one .... it would require a helluva knock. Straighten that tie-rod up by eye and put it back, then have the alignment checked. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

SideKick wrote:
Na ek en Tinus al van 2 uur af sukkel om die hele Tie Rod af te kry en nie kon nie, het Jacques hom nou in 5 minute met n 10 pond hammer af gekry :think:
Baie maklik as jy weet hoe?

Laat my dink aan so episode toe ek in Amerkia gewerk het en die ouens ure lank gesukkel het om die Tie rod af te kry. My Afrika manier was 'not even remotely an option'.

So 4 ure se spook later was my Afrika manier toe nie so 'remotely' nie! Afgehaal in onder 3 minute!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

Stephan jy moet na daai briekpyp kyk wat so los hang hy gaan afbreek.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Firstly, that's not the tie rod that's bent, it's called the track rod. The tie rods are the 2 ball joint that are screwed in at the ends of the track rod. I also bent my track rod some time ago, but wasn't as fortunate as you, I bent it where the thread starts for the tie rod. The bend misaligned the thread so that tie rod could be screwed back in! I got a 2nd hand replacement, which I re-inforced with steel pipe over the track rod.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Mr_B wrote:Firstly, that's not the tie rod that's bent, it's called the track rod. The tie rods are the 2 ball joint that are screwed in at the ends of the track rod. I also bent my track rod some time ago, but wasn't as fortunate as you, I bent it where the thread starts for the tie rod. The bend misaligned the thread so that tie rod could be screwed back in! I got a 2nd hand replacement, which I re-inforced with steel pipe over the track rod.
AHA!!! The Rusty Rod saga... I remember this well... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

Post by Evert Deyzel »

What will the effects be of a bent steering drag link?

Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Well, I took the Tie Rod to Steering Brake & Suspension Centre in Montaque Gardens this morning. They put it in a machine and straigtened it for me in less than 2 mins :thumbup:

When I asked what I owe, they told me it's fine, no problem. And on the way out they even offered me some advice regarding steering and alighnment :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great guys there and great service :!: Thanks a lot guys :!: :!: :!:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

And thank for all the other advice guys! Appreciate it!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bretton, AFAIK a track rod refers to a rack & pinion steering, with the tie rods on the ends ... the alignment adjustment is done on the tie rods. With the SFA the "track rod" is not supported by the chassis (free floating) and is generally referred to as the tie rod and the adjustment is made with it ... the end pieces are firm extensions of the tie rod (cannot articulate as is necessary IRO a track rod) and are called tie rod ends. ;-)

Glad you came right, Stephan! :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”