limitations / capabilities of a 4x2 (with difflock)

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

limitations / capabilities of a 4x2 (with difflock)

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Here is a question that I wanted to ask for a long time. What are the limitations / capabilities of a 4x2? I mean where can you go with a 4x2 (with difflock) and where will you struggle? Let's say you've got muds on the vehicle.
Sent from my iPhone
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: limitations / capabilities of a 4x2 (with difflock)

Post by Stef »

At the de Wildt GTG Kenneth's 2.7i 4x2 went everywhere we did, except the axle twisters & Gert se klip..

Must admit I was quite surprised, not that the trail was too hectic, but a few rocky inclined sections demanded low range I thought and he made it through. Clutch worked harder than on a 4x4 I think.

Anywhere where the front wheels need to climb rather than pushed from the rear would be tricky especially where low range is essential, like inclines (gert se klip). Declines would be hairy as well, longish mud sections too...but mainly it is the absence of low range that limits a 4x2 IMO :think:

For average game park type driving I think it is extremely capable, but off the beaten track it would struggle in places as mentioned above.

A front wheel drive 4x2 with diff lock would be very potent :twisted:
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

That makes a lot of sense. So is it safe to say that you can go overland in a 4x2 vehicle. I mean depending where you go, isn't overland off the road traveling easier than trails in the bush?
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

In some situations a diff lock 4x2 is better than a 4x4 without diff-lock ... consider a case where the load between the front and rear axles is fairly balanced and you have an axle twister where a wheel lifts or there is not enough downward pressure to maintain traction on a wheel. Logic will tell you that the diagonally opposing wheel will be suffering the same fate, which means you loose drive with the 4x4, but the diff-locked 4x2 will still have drive on one wheel. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

I think you guys have answered my question well. I'm considering going for a 4x2 vehicle mostly for overlanding and as a daily vehicle. But on the downside, I might even have to sell my SFA and the platkar. I don't do a lot of trails anymore and my SFA only get used on weekends.
Sent from my iPhone
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

My KZTE is a 4x2, i've done many overland trips and some challenging routes including many trips to Atlantis dunes in both winter and summer, if it's loaded at the back you gain even more traction, you have to gain and maintain more momentum than in a 4x4, so you have to plan your lines carefully.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

Summed it up perfectly. The biggest disadvantage of a 4x2 is the lack of low range. So if you encounter a rocky obstacle that is passable, but at low speeds the 4x2 needs to be driven on the clutch a lot – I’m not a fan of this.

Also the momentum that needs to be gained to pass some obstacles can be enough to hurt your vehicle if you get the line wrong or even if you just travel at a speed that is to fast for that specific obstacle.

I went to Groenkloof to test just how capable a 4x2 with difflock is, and got far. But wasn’t comfortable all the time. Did no steep inclines or declines either.

So yes, depends on where you want to overland.
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Thanks for asking the question THomas.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Got platkar, and only use bakkie on weekend trips. 99% road, 1% sand /gravel.
How does the 4x2 fair in sand?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Thomas for "overlanding" a 2x4 will be all you "need" for 99,9% of the time.

During our Namibia trip we did about 3 500 km of dirt roads. we only NEEDED 4x4 TWICE:

- for the last 6km at Sossusvlei - where could have used the guided vehicles as well.
- for the 7 mud patches before Spreethoogte - now here we REALLY needed the 4x4, OR we would have had to do about a 150km detour ... but then again, a 150km detour when overlanding is NOTHING. :)

Personally is switch to 4x4 as soon as we go onto gravel, due to the added tracking it is just so much safer. But millions of farmers never do .... :)
AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I have a client with a 2x4 Colt Hiline and he does a lot of Transkei travelling. We just fitted a winch for those times he is on his own.
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

dalkill wrote:Thanks for asking the question THomas.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Got platkar, and only use bakkie on weekend trips. 99% road, 1% sand /gravel.
How does the 4x2 fair in sand?
Not very well, unless it's rear engined like a VW ..... keeps both drive wheels on the ground although you would dig in pretty quickly in reverse if you're not careful .... going forward the lightweight front glides over the sand easily and creates a semi compacted track for the rear wheels.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

I would rather pay the extra bucks and buy a 4x4. I use Mufasa mainly for overlanding. One of the constant battles in my head is whether I should trade in Mufasa for a nice 2.7 IFS. But I will not go the 4x2 route. I do most of my trips in Namibia. (My father still lives in Windhoek, and I spent some of my youth in Namibia - until I was 13 years old.)

Many of the decent places in Namibia are only reachable by 4x4. You are going to damage the environment and/or your vehicle if it is only 4x2. The same holds for Botswana, and I think for Moz, Zimbabwe and Zambia as well. (If you want to do Kaokoveld, Damaraland, Khaudom, Caprivi, etc, you will definitely need a 4x4, unless if you stick to the main roads and go with all the rest of Gauteng on vacation).

If you buy a 4x4, you can always take a route with confidence. If you only have a 4x2, then the odd time that you need 4x4, you will be stranded. When I plan my overland trips, I will not take someone with if his/her vehicle is only a 4x2. With a 4x4 you can reach places that are quiet and away from the masses.

I owned a 2.7 4x4 SC before. At that stage when I did my research, it was the most efficient 4x4 fuelwise, and the difference between the 4x4 and 4x2 in fuel economy was negligible. And the 2.7 drove almost like a normal platkar. Till today I regret the decision to let the 2.7 go...

This is only my opinion, use it, don't use it, but I would try and get a 4x4 as a 4x2 is too limiting
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

The fact is a 4x2 with diff-lock will never be a 4x4. You need to do everything with more momentum, putting the vehicle and the environment at risk, due to excessive wheelspin, and bottoming out.

You also miss out on the luxury of low-range, meaning you have to ride the clutch to get the revs up, causing wear on the clutch and the drive train.

Yes you can do overlanding with a 4x2, and you will probably get to traverse some minor obstacles on the way, but you wont have the advantage of added traction on dirt roads that 4x4 drivetrain gives you. Also you dont want to drive on dirt roads, at any speed with that rear diff locked, unless you're taking part in some drifting competition.

Sand driving in a 4x2 is possible, end with a diff-lock it might even be more capable that without, but once again, your best friend is going to be momentum, and you need lots of it to keep the vehicle going. Once you stop, and if you dont know what you're doing you are going to get stuck. No dune climbing is possible, unless you take a nice run-up to build enough momentum to get the vehicle over the top, with or without diff-lock. Ask Bees how to do this, and how lekker you can get stuck in a hole with limited run-up. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If you are thinking af buying a vehicle, and you want to do off-roading, buy the 4x4. If you already have a 4x2 with diff-lock, be aware of the shortcomings of the vehicle.

As the old saying goes, with enough force you could break your finger clean off in your bum, so if you are hell bent on getting your 4x2 with diff-lock up Baboons Pass you probably would be able to, but there are going to be some consequences to either baboons Pass, or the vehicle, and me thinks the vehicle is going to fare a lot worse than the pass.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

Agree with Thys - Because the Hilux 4x4's is so expensive, the best thing about a 4x2 is that it is a good stepping stone in helping you save for a 4x4! :D:
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”