Worse Than I thought...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1989 2.2 4y

Worse Than I thought...

Post by turbo6906 »

Hi all,

On the same note...

I have just done a trip to Rundu Namibia with my toy and its worse that i thought.

It takes a full pint every 200km driving at 130 kph. Doing 100 it uses a tiny bit less.

I am thinking of overhauling the old 4y or considering a conversion.

My baby is using way to much oil and i dont like it. What should i do??? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Worse Than I thought...

Post by LouisZ »

Consider a China/Korean 4Y Head,Block and sump, they retail usually for about R5800.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Otherwise first open the motor, let an automotive engineering works mic up the bores and see if it's worth rebuilding .... it might just be a combo of worn valve guides / piston rings. What the mileage on the motor?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by turbo6906 »

it has 157 800 on the clock. It does not smoke at all but still it is using oil. The exhaust residue is a little bit black tho but i have been told that is is normal for these bakkies.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Bruno

From what you describe, it sounds like the oil scraper rings which have started to fail, at the rpm'sand speed you doing, it can't clean the walls of the cylinder and hence the oil consumption.

You could very possibley get away with a set of rings, bearings and valve stem seals.

Good luck
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by turbo6906 »

i sure hope so Mad...

What are the Approx. Costs im looking at??
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Bruno

You could get a good quality ring set from Alert for around R300 if I remember correctly and big end bearings for R150.

A decent head gasket kit for under R500 (payen) then if you wanted to at the same time, get a new set of hydraulic lifters for Roughly R500

Do the work yourself, and with the bit of unforeseens, you could probs get away with R2k for all.

The prices may vary slightly as this is out my head, it also depends on if you wanna go orginal parts or not cause then double this figure easy.

If I get chance, I'll try and get better more recent prices for you from a m8.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by turbo6906 »

Zane

Thanks bro.

My lux is currently in for rust removal after that im going to do the mac part.

Great advice.

Thanks
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

hi Bruno

sounds like it could be the oil scraper rings. my Suzuki on no.1 piston has gone. also using oil and smokes on acceleration. plug gets clogged up. still waiting for the minister of finance to dish out the rands for repairs.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

turbo6906 wrote:it has 157 800 on the clock. It does not smoke at all but still it is using oil. The exhaust residue is a little bit black tho but i have been told that is is normal for these bakkies.
That mileage is nowhere near excessive, but a lot would depend on how the motor has been serviced / treated. A compression test might give you some answers but I wouldn't even bother with that. Open it up as I said and have the bores mic'ed up .... you could get away with a ring replacement. Of course if you can and you go that route, then you would replace the big end bearings at the same time. I would even go so far as to replace the pistons since the landings would probably be a little worn as well .... and you get new gudgeon pins and new rings with the pistons. I would also do the valve stem seals, but wouldn't worry about the lifters unless they are noisy. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg .... pistons will be the most expensive item at about a grand, but then you're 'A' for away! :thumbup:

My old 4Y overheated at about 180 000 kms because of a head problem. Replaced the head, but there was always a bit of a clatter when cold .... not bad, and you had to listen for it. It wasn't the lifters. It was because the piston skirts had deformed / collapsed slightly due to the overheating. Replaced the pistons with standard ones and did the big end bearings .... didn't even have to cut ridges on the bores .... just gave it a light hone and put it back together. After a further 35 000 kms it was only using about a pint per every 2000 kms, performed beautifully with an excellent fuel economy and plenty of guts.

Those motors are legendary! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”