Driving through water negative aspects

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Driving through water negative aspects

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Driving through water most of us do do sometime or the other, sometimes we have no option as there is no other route to follow, however some of us do it to show off where our 4x4's can drive and to show how much water we can spray all over the place, however everytime we drive through water there are negative aspects to consider as well, read on...........
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Re: Driving through water negative aspects

b]No matter how new or old your vehicle is...water contamination will destroy various parts of your vehicle, some of us might have extended breather pipes fitted to the axle housings, gearbox or transfer case, however these breathers do work if they are connected correctly, but.......water will still enter through various seals on the wheel bearing inner hubs, once water mixes with the wheel bearing grease, wheel bearing failure will happen in a brief period of time, what to watch out for is a rumbling noise coming from the wheels, normally with an older pre 1998 Hilux, wheel bearing failure will happen to the front wheels more than the rear wheels.

There are a number of added factors that will induce the wheel bearings to failure.

Larger none standard rims and tyres
Wheel spaces behind the rims
Poor maintenance of the wheel bearings, grease and seals
When grass and debri gets wrapped around behind the brake disc backing plate or rotar plate, the grass and debri will damage the inner wheel bearing hub seals
Driving through water and mud, grit causes a type of grinding paste, this paste wears the seal sealing lip and if the vehicle is not cleaned correctly after you have used it through water and mud, a small thin groove will wear into the seal sealing surface on the bearing spindle hub, if this happens, you will have to determine how deep this groove is and then you have two options, you can have the spindle hub resleeved or buy a new one from the agents.

When you strip the axle end (maybe Bennie or FD can put a link here to my other article in the other section) you must replace the manual locking hub seals as well, all seals, o"rings, use only genuine seals and a good quality wheel bearing.

So the next time you come upon water decide how much you have to spend on your vehicle to sort out the wheel bearings and a clutch kit, water will also enter into the bell housing of the gearbox and if your fuel system is not correct, water can enter the fuel tank as well, work out the wading depth of your vehicle, depending if it is a diesel or petrol, some vehicle3's have intercoolers and these items have inlets, that are sometimes much lower than you think and if water does enter into the engine, you can have a lock up, bend a few conrods in the process and other damage as well.

Even if your vehicle ,has a snorkel fitted, be aware of this factor water is a great hazard to our 4x4 vehicle's.[/b]
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Check this thread for some serious water driving.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mysp9FeOfd8

If a land Rover can do it a Hilux can do it as well? :oops:, but I supose one must be p***ed or insane! :twisted:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I agree 110% with SC. I personaly like to drive thorugh water etc. and that is exactly the reason why I then evry time go home and use a high pressure hose and clean the underside of the vehicle and use a grease pump on any grease nipple I can find underneath the vehicle an pump it full of grease till it's push out somewhere else so that if any water did enter any joined, it's pushed out by the new grease. And by filling the grease often, their is less space for the water to come into.

I know it is not the best way but I believe it's way better than just leaving it like it is.
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I also try to avoid water all together, unless I really really absolutely positively have to go thru it. Splish-splashing is just too much hassle afterwards and it is really not worth it. I just tell myself, it is a bakkie not a boat... :!: :x :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I just tell myself, it is a bakkie not a boat...
I've met chickens like you before :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:I've met chickens like you before :twisted: :twisted:
I keep telling myself, I am a chicken not a DUCK.... :x :lol: :P
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I keep telling myself, I am a chicken not a DUCK....
LOL.... Exellent comeback.....

Nee ek spot sommer. Dit is nou eending wat my al ge-irriteer en af gepiepie het en dit is as enige iemand enige iemand anders op 'n course so half dwing om 'n obsticle te ry. Dit is 'n erg harde val van jou ego na jou ik toe
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

For people like that I have one 2 words... the one starts with an "F" and the other one starts with a "K".. :P :lol: :P
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Now why would you tell them to Find your Keys? :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Nope Cassie... Frannewyn en Kouk... :shock: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I try and stay away from water 8) If I can help it
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cookie Monster Bull wrote:I try and stay away from water 8) If I can help it
Justin, that ain't the way to win friends & influence people. Nowadays, we have running hot & cold water, and a shower is actually most refreshing. Try it, and see. :!:

Hope you're using plenty of deodorant... :roll:

Wait a mo'.... Oh, you mean driving through it with the bakkie? My mistake... :mrgreen:

-F_D
<Fiendish_Dog>

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS

FD where did this brainwave come from? To think up a joke like this, most amazing, I wanted to ask you some questions about that Zumo that we got from you.
If I do not have the actual co-ordinates for a place, if I put in the address or name of the place for example your home address, will it guide me to your home from JHB?

It does not seem to work very well around Queenstown, do you think in the future this area will be added to their system, or are only the major areas of SA available?

Thank's

simoan
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Simon,

Sometimes I amaze myself... :o

You can definitely enter a street address into the Zumo, it will guide you there with ease. Just make sure you use the correct street location, i.e. in JHB there are probably hundreds of roads named, for e.g., "fifth avenue" - so you need to ensure you've got the right suburb. That caught me out once...

I checked out Queenstown in Mapsource and it shows apparently all the street names ithere, not the PDI street names yet, however. Remember to "zoom" in onto a larger (smaller?) scale to see more detail. Should work just fine there.

Everytime they update the mapping software (once or twice per year), they add new features and towns. I think the early maps only showed some 25 cities/towns in RSA, then the next edition showed some 400. Currently, they show over 1000 dorpies, and this improves with every "new" release of the mapping software.

The mapping software is upgradeable at nominal cost, depending upon what version of mapping software you still have. You should have SASM version 1.5, currently the latest, although I believe the release of version 2 is imminent now.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Thank's FD, what does the upgrade software cost, does it come in a cd or how does a person upload it to the machine?

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8) FD I preferr to use Raid Max as it masks the smell and kills the flies :lol: :lol: :lol:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:Thank's FD, what does the upgrade software cost, does it come in a cd or how does a person upload it to the machine?
Simon, Currently, your Zumo has the latest mapping software. I have a feeling that Garmap will release a new version within the next few weeks, we'll have to wait and see ...

-F_D

Return to “The Workshop”