automatic transmission problems on 4 liter V6

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

automatic transmission problems on 4 liter V6

Post by Mornes »

i have picked up strange 'behaviour' from the autobox on my V6 hilux. it seems to stick in 4th abnormally long after doing a hill climb, often only changing to 5th on the downhill decent. Also it seems to have a 'half gear' in 4th where the revs pickup by 200 rpm sometimes??

anybody have advice or seen the same thing?
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Petou
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6

Re: automatic transmission problems on 4 liter V6

Post by Petou »

I have noticed the same on my Fortuner.By selecting 4th gear and immediately thereafter shifting back to drive, in my case seems to be the way around the problem.You will notice that the same "overdrive" gear as i call it is also on drive gear.
Snorkel,chip,burnco front bumper
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

i've read on some of the Australian forums that there are software upgrades available for the gearbox. i asked the local guys, but got a blank stare..
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

dont know this specific gearbox, and am no expert on Auto gearboxes!! and not sure that my post will help any thing!!

however after having bought the Jeep GC V8 have learned a few things about Auto boxes

1st, a software upgrade can sometimes solve the issue!!

the other point that i would like to make is that an oil change can also make the difference!!

ATF does not last the life of the gearbox as it does in the life of most normal manual transmissions!!

have read a few cases of where just an ATF oil change has solved the issue!!

not sure that this will help!! :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kattie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: walvis bay
Vehicle: 4.0L hilux

Post by Kattie »

i asked the local guys, but got a blank stare..[/quote] :oops: Im also on the trail of the elusive G/box upgrade only hear of it but not seen it.Apparently the previous model g/box had only a single overdrive and the newer ones got a two stage overdrive,but the software stayed the same,the prado owners also have the same problem.also speed control is non exsisting say you set speed at 120 it changes so much and so violently and goes up to 130-135 before letting go and return to 120
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

its a pitty they could not get it right with the 4 liter engine... i drove a pathfinder a while back and was very impressed with the gearing combination with the engine. the rest however, i prefer the yota
Morne' Smuts

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

hi guys, some feedback for those of you that are interested. Toyota replaced my gearbox at my 80 000 km service.. i asked them to check the gearbox oil. they phoned me frantically to let me know the oil is black and 'burnt' and the box needs opening. it turns out a actuating valve on one of the gears was sticky and overheated the oil. as most of you advised, the burnt oil's viscosity is different and affects shifting and what is commonly seen as 'shift shock'.

Toyota does not check or change the oil as a rule, however they advised that considering the 'duty of vehicle', we should do it as regular as we could. so ask for it to be checked. :thumbup:
Morne' Smuts

Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Morne

You are right about the oil in an auto box - it makes all the difference, much more so than in a manual one! Glad they found the problem and thanks for sharing!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Gysie »

As a norm - when ever i buy an new vehicle I have a mech friend of mine change all the oils and do a service. I have recently purchased a 2005 4.0 V6 with 92000km and had everything drained and replaced and this will be done every 20 000km excluding normal services every 10 000. The cost of all diffs and transmittion oil change is much less than replacing a gearbox or diff. Just my 2cents
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Standerton
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4, Long range fuel tank, Cooper Discover STT. WROffroad Level-it spacers.

Post by Wendell »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 4.0 V6 with the auto box with just over 150 000km and all your problems seem to occur in my box as well. I have also noticed that sometimes i loose a substantial amount of power on an uphill when shifted into fourth. Any further advice from anyone?
Frost
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0D4D, Gadgets.

Post by Frost »

Hi Guys,

I might be looking into buying a 4.0 with a manual box.
Other than the AT problems are there any other problems you might have experienced mechanically?

Ive searched around and all I can find is mention about tensioner pulleys?
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4, Long range fuel tank, Cooper Discover STT. WROffroad Level-it spacers.

Post by Wendell »

Frost wrote:Hi Guys,

I might be looking into buying a 4.0 with a manual box.
Other than the AT problems are there any other problems you might have experienced mechanically?

Ive searched around and all I can find is mention about tensioner pulleys?
Hi,

The problem that I experienced was not due to the auto box but rather the Fuel HP. This might have been caused by debris that was left in the tank after a long range tank was fitted. There are other threads on the forum that you can follow regarding the power surge. You can buy that V6 any day and twice on Sunday. Drives like a charm. I spoke to a bloke that drives the manual and his fuel consumption is much higher than mine with the auto box. Personally I would prefer the auto as the engine have so much power. At the end of the day it is personal preference that must be considered. Good luck with your choice.
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Wendell »

Another thing, None of the mechanics I spoke to have ever seen the inside of the 4.0.
Frost
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Frost »

Thanks Wendell,

You are so right! When searching for 'hilux 4.0 V6 problems' the response is few and far between! :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Frost wrote:Thanks Wendell,

You are so right! When searching for 'hilux 4.0 V6 problems' the response is few and far between! :thumbup:
That's because it's a Toyota.......... :wink2:

Do the same search for LR or VW and your PC will prob. crash..... :mocking:
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Wendell »

Toyota all the way.
Frost
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Frost »

Took an auto for a test drive on Monday...
What a machine! Hopefully collecting my Manual V6 on Saturday morning. Cant wait! :yahoo:
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Wendell »

Frost wrote:Took an auto for a test drive on Monday...
What a machine! Hopefully collecting my Manual V6 on Saturday morning. Cant wait! :yahoo:
Good luck and happy Hiluxing... :yahoo:
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

I started this topic, but ill never buy anything else....
Morne' Smuts

pieter1234
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: fortuner

Post by pieter1234 »

My 2008 Fortuner 4.0 4x4 auto do not change up to 5th gear. Never.

Return to “The Workshop”