advice please - road quality to mozambique (xai xai)

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
anthonyhugo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2003 KZ-TE 4x4 D/C

advice please - road quality to mozambique (xai xai)

Post by anthonyhugo »

hi mods please move this if needed i'm not sure where to ask for road advice

hi guys

we need to drive to xai xai in moz and i was wondering if one can bypass maputo without having to drive on bad roads?

last time we went on the toll road - very nice - but we had to go through the hussle and bussle of maputo

many thanks!

ant
072 957 6406
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: advice please - road quality to mozambique (xai xai)

Post by OOOOMS »

Ant, Maputo is your best and only option :thumbup:

There is another road to Xai-Xai just past the first toll from the Gaza border (before the bridge left) but that is a sand road, with lots of water puddles.

The road from the border (except 2 / 3km via Maputo) is fine :thumbup:
chopper

Post by chopper »

Another option is Jhb - Phalaborwa - Giriyondo (RSA/Moz border post) - Massingir - Chokwe - Chibuto - Xai-Xai
You can also go Chokwe - Macia - Xai-Xai
Visit http://www.mozguide.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ask Mike Slater aka Mozman about the latest road conditions, the Giriyondo - Massingir section was fine before the last rains
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Which is the shortest and quickest route, I am also going up to Paindane lodge through Xai Xai?
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Mark,
Mozman would be the best person to advise on that; the passing through Giriyondo is less-cumbersome than going through at Komatipoort but the condition of the road Giriyondo - Massingir might have an impact on the trip. The Giriyondo route could be a more expensive option ito passing through KNP and Limpopo National Park (Mozambique) depending on the size of your group
You would do well to check with Mozman (Mike) on this 1
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

chopper wrote:Another option is Jhb - Phalaborwa - Giriyondo (RSA/Moz border post) - Massingir - Chokwe - Chibuto - Xai-Xai
You can also go Chokwe - Macia - Xai-Xai
Visit http://www.mozguide.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ask Mike Slater aka Mozman about the latest road conditions, the Giriyondo - Massingir section was fine before the last rains

sorry have nothing concrete to add here, however followed the link, WOW it looks so interesting, had no idea!!

thanx!! :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I went onto the site and he has done a brilliant job. I already downloaded all his PDF's
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
biglux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux v6 4.0

Post by biglux »

just watch out for serious potholes on the tar road after Masingir.I broke my trailer there 3 years ago and I don't know wether they have since fixed the road.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Mike and his 2 young boys spent a night with us at Kambaku Safaris (Moz, bordering the Gonarezhou Game Reserve) some time ago; they were traveling in a little Daihatsu Terios 4x4 (if I remember correctly) - they were on their way north after having crossed the Limpopo at Pafuri with that!
Remarkable fellow and excellent company

Return to “Open Discussion”