Bad Conversions!!

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Bad Conversions!!

Post by kfxnando »

well not my one yet!!

have suffered a few more set backs, some good some bad!!
the good one is work!! will be working quiet a few weekends till around May!!
big project, that should keep me in a job for at least the next 15 years if I dontb mess up!!

any case!!
have seen some real bad conversions!!
and that gives rise to people saying that conversions dont work!! and give problems!!

have seen a Hilux with a Lexus V8, where the V8 was slanted to one side
have seen an Isuzu with a mess of a cooling system!! water bottle pipes conected wrong way round plumbers connections mixed with hydrolic conection!!

and the chery on the cake, the one guy down the road, has now bough a Lexus V8 to also go into a courier!!
and he came to see me to see what I had done and how my conversion looked!! he heard that I was busy doing a conversion!!
he wants to keep the radiator from the rook and kook 3.0L V6
and he is not convinced that he needs a high pressure fuel pump!! and never mind the surge tank!!
he thinks the ugly manifolds on the lexus are branches!!
could not understand my engine mountings!!
had doubts about fitting a new timing belt and replacing the seals and idler pulley
showed him all the acumalated parts and shared all the info!!
he did not understand why the rev counter had to be altered!!

me see another bad conversion coming up!! and people saying, conversions dont work!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Bad Conversions!!

Post by CasKru »

And it is for this reason why I stick to the standard (well sort off - only did the Efi)

The only time I will ever consider a conversion is if I can do it myself (which I can't) or have someone do it for me that has the exact same conversion and has been running the setup for at least 2 years without any problems.

And of course, before I would even consider, the current engine would need to pack up first. So... I would be in the marked for an upgrade in let's say.... mmhhh... 30 years
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Normally it is the guy's that haven't got a clue whats cooking under the hood that wants a conversion and then says it's not working when something small go south, I have no problem with my Lexus L6 but my conversion was done properly as a few guy's will confirm that have seen it. But as you said the guy doesn't understand why you need to do what you have mentioned, he will be back so you can fix the butcher job coming-up, hope you charge him more for that :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

If the engines set up to run the way it should than you should relatively speaking have very few problems.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

If I could make a reality show "DIY gone wrong" I'm sure with all you guys and myself have seen, we can have a few seasons worth of footage!
Last edited by Thabogrobler on Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Now that would be flippin awsome to see:)All the times stuck by the side of the freeway,the thousands spent on parts and the moments were it all works so beautifully!!
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Moet se na die Berakah trip het ek besluit die Lexus V8 is nie vir my nie :think:

Sal veel eerder gaan vir die 6 silinder Lexus soos Jaco s'n, niks gearbox management systems & goeters nie, dood standaard Hilux ratkas. Maat nou ja, het nie nou geld vir sulke goed nie, sal maar my LTD moet EFI :angel:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Nothing wrong with conversions as such. There are a few things you need to be aware of though, like who did it, how it was done, and how much patience does the owner of a conversion have to sort out growing pains. Back yard mechanics slapping a few components together do bad conversions. Conversions are not for the faint hearted... :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Here's my take on engine conversions:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7823" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Stef wrote:Moet se na die Berakah trip het ek besluit die Lexus V8 is nie vir my nie :think:

Sal veel eerder gaan vir die 6 silinder Lexus soos Jaco s'n, niks gearbox management systems & goeters nie, dood standaard Hilux ratkas. Maat nou ja, het nie nou geld vir sulke goed nie, sal maar my LTD moet EFI :angel:
:thumbdown:
Say no more ................................ :bye:
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

why cant one put a lexus V8 and a
dood standaard Hilux ratkas.

:writing: :reading:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Stef wrote:Moet se na die Berakah trip het ek besluit die Lexus V8 is nie vir my nie :think:

Stefan, daai LTD van jou is pragtig, ek het genoeg van hom gesien om te weet hy werk soos hy nou is.

Know what you don't know.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

kfxnando wrote:why cant one put a lexus V8 and a

From what I've heard that V8 chews the "dood standaard ratkas" to a pulp :problem: I'm by no means an expert, just what I've heard.
Traveler wrote:Stefan, daai LTD van jou is pragtig, ek het genoeg van hom gesien om te weet hy werk soos hy nou is.

Thanks Heinrich...jy's nie dalk familie van my vrou nie ? Sy se dieselfde :lol:
Maar ja, die outjie is 'n bees af van die teer af 2.4 en al, dis net die brandstof verbruik oor die algemeen wat my pla.Die Berakah trip het my net oor die R600 se petrol gekos :crazy: Dis nou so 200km van my af, maw ek het nou 440km gekry met die ekstra dorpsry op 80l = 5.5km/l.

As ek 7km/l kan kry sal ek tevrede wees.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Stef wrote:
kfxnando wrote:why cant one put a lexus V8 and a

From what I've heard that V8 chews the "dood standaard ratkas" to a pulp :problem: I'm by no means an expert, just what I've heard.

every one needs to decide for them selfs!!
however me fitting a Lexus V8 onto a Ford Gearbox

the gearbox repair shop, that I have used a few times, tels me that what breaks the gearboxes is under-revving!!
and me very guilty of that, doing things like pulling away in second and 3rd couz we can and laziness!!
hence why my box has been repaired!! its taken me a while to break that habit!!
believe that if one uses revs then the gearboxes do last!!

maybe some of the many experts can comment on this point!!

:beach:

Return to “Open Discussion”