3.0 D4D - 130 000kms service

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

3.0 D4D - 130 000kms service

Post by Die$eL »

What needs to be done at this service?
I've done cambelt already at 120 000kms.
Real drivers use three pedals
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack
Club VHF Licence: X82

Re: 3.0 D4D - 130 000kms service

Post by Blackadder »

Jong. This might be a discussion all by itself, but I was told by the agents that I should consider replacing the diesel filter at roughly that mileage. Apparently the diesel filter units are not meant to be replaced at all, but only cleaned with every service up to 300 000km's on the D4D, but because of the poor quality of diesel in our country they suggested that I change it as a precaution. Rather safe than sorry they said. I think it was about R950.00. You might consider that. It's one of those things that you never know if it really was necessary, until you don't do it and then suddenly end up with dirty injectors.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

yip, i think i'm going to change it to be safe.

the bakkie has been serviced at the agents till now. they dont mark down on the service book what they actually did on each service so i dont know whether its been changed/cleaned before.

in my opinion i dont really trust the agents with anything. on one of the previous services they disconnected something like the fan and forgot to connect it again. i cant remember exactly what. i think the engine management light came on as soon as it was driven out of the yard. luckily didnt cause any damage though
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Are you referring to the diesel filter under the hood?
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D, Ironman Bumper, OME, Dual Battery, BFG'S, TJM Snorkel, Navstar 220 29mhz radio, LAS Pro Rear Bumper, Frontrunner Roofrack

Post by Blackadder »

Die$eL wrote:yip, i think i'm going to change it to be safe.

the bakkie has been serviced at the agents till now. they dont mark down on the service book what they actually did on each service so i dont know whether its been changed/cleaned before.

in my opinion i dont really trust the agents with anything. on one of the previous services they disconnected something like the fan and forgot to connect it again. i cant remember exactly what. i think the engine management light came on as soon as it was driven out of the yard. luckily didnt cause any damage though
The don't mark it on the book, but it should be on their system. When I bought by 2nd hand Tuna I took it to the agents in Pretoria and they could tell me what was done on every service...even the services that was done in the Cape.

Just ask them. I'm sure they will be able to help you...
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Blackadder »

OOOOMS wrote:Are you referring to the diesel filter under the hood?
Yes...The one under the hood.
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Blackadder »

Die$eL wrote:What needs to be done at this service?
Is the cambelt not only supposed to be replaced at 150 000km...???
andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

you will see that toyota only replace the airfiter every 60000 ks
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Blackadder wrote:
Die$eL wrote:What needs to be done at this service?
Is the cambelt not only supposed to be replaced at 150 000km...???
Correct! At 150 000km your cam belt light will automatically come on and then again at 300 000km

The filter under the hood, only costs around R200.00, I change mine every 10 000km as well as the air filter :!: Just make sure you also clean out all te gunk from the trap!
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Blackadder »

OOOOMS wrote:
The filter under the hood, only costs around R200.00, I change mine every 10 000km as well as the air filter :!: Just make sure you also clean out all te gunk from the trap!
Now I'm confused. I'm aware of the dirt that has to be cleaned from the trap. That happens with every service. But they told me that the filter alone can not be replaced and that the unit as a whole had to be replaced (electronics and everything) and it cost me just over R900. I'm now starting to wonder what they changed...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Blackadder wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:
Now I'm confused. I'm aware of the dirt that has to be cleaned from the trap. That happens with every service. But they told me that the filter alone can not be replaced and that the unit as a whole had to be replaced (electronics and everything) and it cost me just over R900. I'm now starting to wonder what they changed...
Electronics? Not to my knowledge
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Post by FUDGES »

Blackadder wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:

It seems to me they replaced the whole unit I don understand why :blushing: :blushing: I accidently broke one of the brackets on the unit and when I phone for a quote for the unit they quoted me (if I remember correctly) R911 :naah:
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Blackadder »

This is what I was told was replaced...This unit...
Diesel Filter.jpg
Diesel Filter.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Daai is maar net die housing wat die filter in sit. die boonste (klein ronde flying saucer) unit met knoppie is 'n manual water trap release / pomp.

Het geen idee hoekom hulle die hele unit vervang het nie.

Al wat vervang moet word is die filter, en soos genoem die gumf binne in. R200.00 vir 'n filter by meeste spares plekke. Toyota vra R257. En doen dit elke 10km

Verbasend om te sien hoeveel gumf le onder in daai housing. Ontkoppel die x2 sensors. Haal die filter uit. Gooi wat oorbly van die housing in 'n 2l bottel of glas bak....scary :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Blackadder
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Blackadder »

OOOOMS wrote:Daai is maar net die housing wat die filter in sit. die boonste (klein ronde flying saucer) unit met knoppie is 'n manual water trap release / pomp.

Al wat vervang moet word is die filter, en soos genoem die gumf binne in. R200.00 vir 'n filter by meeste spares plekke. Toyota vra R257. En doen dit elke 10km

Verbasend om te sien hoeveel gumf le onder in daai housing. Ontkoppel die x2 sensors. Haal die filter uit. Gooi wat oorbly van die housing in 'n 2l bottel of glas bak....scary :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ek gaan dit so probeer...dankie...
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Post by FUDGES »

Blackadder wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:Daai is maar net die housing wat die filter in sit. die boonste (klein ronde flying saucer) unit met knoppie is 'n manual water trap release / pomp.

Ek gaan dit so probeer...dankie...
Wees net versigtig om nie die 2 plastiek bracket wat aan daai silver plaaitjie te breek nie.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

i replaced the cam belt early coz at the last service Toyota said it needed to be changed as it looked worn or had cracks or something to that tune

i'll change the diesel filter. sounds a bit better that its R200 and not R900 :yahoo:

how do i clean that trap thing that you guys referred to? is that the thing to remove the water from the diesel?
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Yes, it is suppose to trap water.
You can just rinse it with engine cleaner and very warm water. Then dry and wipe with paper towels.

That whole unit housing sells at Toyota for R475-00.

Know what you don't know.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

there is a way to pump out water from the tank using that thing? am i correct?
how?
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Water in the main tank?

That seperator has a small tap at the bottom from which you can drain water when it gathers there.

Know what you don't know.
Maverick131
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Maverick131 »

OOOOMS wrote: Correct! At 150 000km your cam belt light will automatically come on and then again at 300 000km

Is it the same with the 2.7 VVT-i or only the D4D?
Life can be a tough journey - So drive a Hilux!

Return to “The Workshop”