Etiquette for gravel road driving

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Etiquette for gravel road driving

Post by Niel »

On a recent trip we had the pleasure of a LD 3 and a Pajero driver passing us at great speed and forcing us to stop as we could not see the road as a result of the dust cloud that was created not to talk about the stone and chip marks we obtained from this incident. Is there any unspoken rules/etiquette for gravel road driving or is it a figment of my imagination?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Etiquette for gravel road driving

Post by Mud Dog »

Consideration of other road users and common decency should apply in addition to the road traffic ordinances. Sadly this is something that is becoming a rarity and it sounds like those folk were flouting all of the above. :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I blame it on TV. Everybody sees Sarel vd Merwe/Sebastian Loeb/Giniel d Villiers tearing up dirt roads at 180km/h and thinks to themselves, "That looks like fun, let's go do the same"..... People like that are just plain inconsiderate, ignorant and stupid. :sick: :sick:

And if there is anybody out there who feels offended by that statement, then you need to slow down on the dirt roads... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Many people DO not know how to drive like civilized citizen. They drive like morons, whether on tar or dirt.

Know what you don't know.
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

To me it is simple. If you drive on a gravel road and you see someone approaching from behind, then slow down considerably or pull over that the person can pass you safely, and then wait for the dust to settle...then you can continue your trip at your own pace safely.

It seems like anyone who gets overtaken on a gravel road, gets offended, because now you're in the dust cloud. If you are driving slower than the guy behind you, be a gentleman and pull over.

In the Cederberg mountains if have experienced just how frustrating it can be if the guys in front drives extremely slow, but you cannot overtake safely either. The one time, a guy in a Hilux just pulled over for me and I could pass safely... the penny dropped... common sense. Since that day, I am practicing this principle and it really does not take anything out of you, it saves you all the frustration...
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Try the N1 South past Centurion 05h30 in the morning, you'll note all of the above bad behaviours...and it might as well be a gravel road with all the BMW's , LR's and Merc's flying past as well as the odd Hilux/Fortuner...got the scars to prove it...
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Most beautiful one I've seen was this past weekend between Frankfort & Villiers. Driver (idiot) in an Isuzu KB 350 with MP registration comes past on the dirt section of the roadworks at probably 100km/h (the queue was probably moving at 80km/h). Of course he peppered everybody with dirt and stones.

Otto what I find unacceptable is when I am driving at 80/90km/h on a dirt road somebody comes past at a speed that makes me look like I am standing still (how do I see him in my dust in any case?)

Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

You're 100% correct. You'll always find those idiots not taking your or their own safety or respect for your vehicle into consideration.

You will find yourself in a position, or have before, that you want to overtake on a gravel road. Now if the guy in front made it easier for you, then there would be less stones flying around, thus much less swear word flying around too.

I am now talking in general, on long streches of road where you could normally, at some point around a curve or so, see someone approaching from behind. If you see someone approaching from behind, and you do not slow down considerably so that the person can overtake you safely, then the stone chips are of your own bad doing.

If you are the person overtaking, then you should only do so when you're 100% sure that it is safe to do so and that there will be no damage caused by you overtaking. Both sides of the coin apply.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Petrusd
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 1997 2.4 Hilux DC 4x4 / Yamaha Motorfiets

Post by Petrusd »

Bosfebok wrote:To me it is simple. If you drive on a gravel road and you see someone approaching from behind, then slow down considerably or pull over that the person can pass you safely, and then wait for the dust to settle...then you can continue your trip at your own pace safely.

It seems like anyone who gets overtaken on a gravel road, gets offended, because now you're in the dust cloud. If you are driving slower than the guy behind you, be a gentleman and pull over. .....
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

100% Correct
I could not agree more with you

:thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Drive with headlights on, even on tar roads, it just makes your vehicle so much more visible. :thumbup:

Slow down for cars approaching, remember muds kick up huge boulders... :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

.... grew up on a farm, so I had done thousands of km's on dirt roads before I even knew what it was like to drive on tar. The secret with driving dirt road is consideration. Also had to go and help to get a rolled car back on its wheels many weekends.

Kind of lost count how many times I have had to drive past a tractor (or I was the one on the tractor being passed and blasted with dust and rocks). Being on the receiving side of such a blast is contributing to my hate of quads.

Petrusd
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 1997 2.4 Hilux DC 4x4 / Yamaha Motorfiets

Post by Petrusd »

ThysdJ wrote:Drive with headlights on, even on tar roads, it just makes your vehicle so much more visible. :thumbup: Slow down for cars approaching, remember muds kick up huge boulders... :shock: :shock:
Very valid points that could help us all to become more considerate road users.
Head lights are not only to see, but also to be seen...
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Also when overtaking or when passing oncomming traffic on gravel roads try to stay in the tracks where possible as there are usually much more rocks on the "middel mannetjies". I also take my foot off the noisy pedal when oncoming traffic passes.....
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Petrusd wrote:Head lights are not only to see, but also to be seen...
Very true indeed. :thumbup:

shaunmeizter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 DC & Fortuna 3D4D 4x4

Post by shaunmeizter »

THIS IS THE GOLDEN RULE.

When seeing an oncoming vehicle slow down to minimize your dust kick up. The vehicle approaching you should also slow down :beg: , and then you lift your hand of the steering wheel and greed the person :wave: . He can precede picking up speed as well as you, after the passing the dust has settled.
Ever tried driving in opposite direction on gravel road at avr 100km/h, you can see bokkerol, only your own and rest of your passengers death. In Bredasdorp there was a news article back in 1980’s about two vehicle intersecting each other at high speed, the one did not see the slow mowing tractor on the road, he did not even see his family again.
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

I agree with all you oke's, gravel driving is dangerous at the best of times,
As a farmer myself i have the pleasure of driving gravel everyday all day, and i'll admit i too have the odd day that i speed :oops: , but if i see on comming traffic i slow down, if i incounter a donkey (AKA Ass) comming the oppisite direction at high speed, i press my thumb on the windscreen in the right top corner, "it might be a old wivestale but (so they say) it helps to stop a stone from chipping the screen, i havnt had a stone chip yet, my other more important rule is alwayse use 4H on gravel,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Ek stem saam met julle kerels en veral met jou Otto. Dit is beslis waar dat n mens altyd voel die ou wat stadiger as jy ry SLAAP! en die ou wat verbykom n JAAGDUIWEL is. Ek dink ook dit kom seker maar ook aan die einde van die dag neer op " doen aan ander soos jy aan jouself gedoen wil he" . As ons almal daarby gehou het sou daar seker geen probleme gewees het nie.

Indien ek iemand verbygaan op n grondpad probeer ek maar aan die aankomende verkeer se kant te bly ( indien dit veilig is ) tot ek n bietjie afstand tussen myself en die ander voertuig opgebou het, net om hopenlik die ander ou n paar klippe te spaar. As iemand langs n grondpad gestop het of self net loop glo ek jy moet spoed verminder. Ek dink veral aan die locals wat stap, baie keer het hulle klein kinders by hulle of is dalk op n Sondagoggend oppad kerk toe. Hier kom jy teen n duisend verby gejaag die mense klere vuil van die stof en wat nog daarvan as jou MTR's n klip opgooi in n kind se oog of iets.
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

4H :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Veral met abs op die Vigo se ABS, anders stop hy net nie!
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

ThysdJ wrote:
And if there is anybody out there who feels offended by that statement, then you need to slow down on the dirt roads... :shock: :shock: :shock:
If Niel drives any slower Thys, he will come to a complete halt... :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Scorpion wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:
If Niel drives any slower Thys, he will come to a complete halt... :twisted:
Johan, he can't read so that statement wouldn't offend him in the first place... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

wolffie02
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux no more
Club VHF Licence: HC370

Post by wolffie02 »

Now i can agree on all of the above.

had a Sarel VD Merwe wannabee overtake me in a bend and i rolled my bakkie in the 3 seconds i could not see.

People need to realise that gravel is a very unstable surface to drive on. what makes it even worse is when the road is corrugated.

Here is hoping that one day they have Driver ed for people on gravel roads.
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

:yahoo: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :silent: :silent: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I agree what you all said,there is no excuse, it happens all the time! :think: :think: :silent:
Matewis
Town: Bethlehem
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4x4

Post by Matewis »

Man, dit gaan rof op die grondpaaie. Ek wens al daai jaagduiwels en klip-opskieters en stof-makers wil lees wat julle hier skryf. Dit maak mens skaam om ongelukkig gereeld ook Hilux-manne te sien wat hulle skuldig maak aan hierdie swak grondpad maniere.
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Post by LoneRanger »

I think the term everyone if thinking of is"Lead South Africa"

On a recent trip to Oudtshoorn via Seveweeks Poort, whenever I saw an ocoming car I slowed down coz there was a dust cloud behind me ' wat skrik vir niks' (got the photo to prove it) and most cases everyone flashed their lights - i'm hoping that was to say thanks :shh:

But on a lighter side when I passed a fellow luxer we and they were squashed against the windscreen to wave at them - It happend in the pass - makes you feel good :wink2: :thumbup: :thumbup:
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002

Return to “Open Discussion”