DIY Bumper of a different kind

Members' DIY projects
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

DIY Bumper of a different kind

Post by smokintyres »

The following are a couple of pictures taken during the construction of my own somewhat different bumper. It is a work in progress as I did not have the resources to construct the mounting brackets off thick gauge steel. The rather flimsy bracket will be taken care off during the December Vacation period.
The idea was to construct a solid "taxi scaring" bumper, that could double as a tank for compressed air and allow for the installation of a winch (also to be added at some later stage).
Hilux Bumper start.jpg
100x100x3mm square tubing was chosen for the main horizontal beam and 100x50x3mm for most of the other parts.
Hilux Bumper improvise.jpg
As mentioned before, the bracket actually responsible for holding the bumper would not cope to well with pushing taxis around, but the appearance should scare off enough taxis for peace of mind until I have the time to construct a more sturdy bracket.
Hilux articulation small.jpg
And the temporarily finished product.
Please let me have your comments as to the looks of the bumper and maybe some ideas to round it off? I have considered a couple of things, but let's see...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: DIY Bumper of a different kind

Post by OOOOMS »

Looks pretty neat to me! Perhaps in a matt black? Just a suggestion...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My observations .... The main bumper section looks a little unusual but very cool and nicely done. Sq tube is no good as a pressure vessel though ... it will bulge and distort. 3mm wall is no good either, ideally you would have to use rnd steam pipe anyway so I would keep the nice bumper and forget about incorporating the compressed air idea. (Maybe you could work that into your rock sliders if you decide to go that route.)

The only thing that looks a little odd (and this is a constructive criticism) is that the risers are too long and the raised section is too high .... I think it would look a lot better and nore in proportion if the cross bar on top were just above the spots and more in line with the bonnet (it's also easier to lean over and work in the engine bay if it's lower).

Otherwise a neat a good looking bumper. :cool: Love to see how you finish it all off. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Dis iets anders, en ek like dit.... I agree with Mud D, Round is actually stronger than Rec Tube. But if you compare it to the IFS and Vigo shape nudge bar, that you can physically bend from just looking at it, I think yours is a bit stronger...... It's not like you going to ram taxi's and Kudu's along the way.... So nice 1 Smokey Tires..... :thumbup: Dis miskien hoe die ARB bumper gaan lyk in 2040 :alarmclock:
Sent from my iPhone
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Ek laaikit kwai!!!
Daai boonste pyp sal seker beter wees as dit laer en miskien dikker is.

HOE ROWWER, HOE BETER!!
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Nice bumper, although I agree with Oom Mud Dog that the risers are a bit high.

Did anyone notice that the driver in that last photo above is somewhat underage? :mrgreen: :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

One of the first things that caught my eye, Eric .... but he looks like a seasoned 'old' hand behind the wheel despite his age. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Baie nice Gernot, is lekker om bietjie iets heel anders te sien.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Thanks for all the comments so far. I conclude that the riser is the bit that "annoys" everybody. In my defense, I wanted it to stick out, so that I could see it from inside the car. I can lower it a couple of centimeters to still be able to see it. It does seem tiny in comparison to the rest though, hmm... :think:
The bumper is supposed to stick out from the crowd, in a good way though :cool:

Thanks again for all the constructive criticism (so far), really appreciate it. :thumbup:

Mud Dog: I am still going to do some calculations regarding the use as a pressure vessel, but I am actually more worried about my welds than the tubing. But thanks for the idea with the rock sliders, was one of the items on my "To do list". And yes the fellow behind the wheel will show us all how it's done :lol:
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Dit lyk nou ROF EN OMBESKOF. :okay: :okay: :okay:

Sal nogal by my agter bumper pas. :goodjob: :goodjob:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Lyk goed! Welkom sien nou eers jy is van Whk.
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Personally I wouldn't want a pressure vessel on my vehicle ... too dangerous. Those things are potential bombs and here in RSA there's a whole chapter of regulations dedicated to them. Firstly there's the protection problem .... rock sliders are exposed and maybe not as vulnerable as front or back bumpers. A bump or damage could cause it to rupture, especially on a seam or weld. Then there's the integrity ... one would have to use thick wall steam pipe and that makes it heavy. Also any welding would have to be done by a coded welder. And then there's the volume problem, especially if the intention is to pump tyres, There simply isn't enough volume available in an accessory that doubles as a pressure vessel unless it's able to contain an extremely high pressure, making it even more lethal if it were to rupture.

I would be far happier to spend a fraction of the extra cost that would be required and buy a mini compressor that can be stowed away behind the seat.

However, to have an accessory that doubles as a tank to hold water is a great idea, particularly if you're into overlanding / camping. Here I would be more inclined to use the rock sliders for that purpose because the extra water weight would be centrally spread over front and back wheels and not drag the front or the back down as would be the case with bumpers being used for this purpose.

Always bear weight in mind when it comes to accessories, equipment and fixed modifications. It will affect your tare weight, fuel economy and even centre of gravity depending what it is and where it's placed (e.g. roof-rack). For me mods are not just about aesthetics but also practicality and the best options are the ones that can be easily added / removed as required, excluding bumpers and sliders of course. :winkx:

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Gernot :okay: dit lyk uitstekend goed.
Ek neig saam in wat Mud Dog skryf, hou eerder weg van druk in daai buffer.

Maar weereens, dit is bitter netjies gedoen, baie geluk. :welcome:

Know what you don't know.
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Round, sq tube, pressure vessel, 3mm wall :think: :think:

ag dit kom nie naby aan die hond wat die Toy in daai laaste foto bestuur nie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Gernot

I have some detail on autocad about the rock sliders I made. Struggle to get a jpg file uploaded
Attachments
Rockslider profile4.jpg
Rockslider profile
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 2329 times
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Gernot

Well, you can see that I struggled with this jpg file :confused: . My message was not yet finished.
You are welcome to PM me. I can send more detailed/clear drawings of my brackets etc. should you be interested.

I like your bumper :thumbup: . What did you use for the "triangular" tube at the bottom?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

What did you use for the "triangular" tube at the bottom?
Looks like 50 x 75 rectangular (at a slope).

smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Mud Dog: You convinced me to stay away from the 'bumper as a pressure tank' idea. My dad installed a small (+/- 20l) tanks used in refrigeration plants (the proper name is at the tip of my tongue) as a tank for compressed air. I already have a small single piston compressor installed, but pumping tyres takes a loooong time. A small tank will allow me to at least pump the first two tyres somewhat quicker... Maybe I'll get him to provide me with a similar installation.

Anyway thanks for the advice, who knows, maybe I would have taken someones head off :shock2: :blackeye:

Louis: The bottom horizontal bit is 100x50mm rectangular tubing at an angle. It took me some time to get all the angles right and to get the bottom to line up with the top. I guess I could have made the lowest vertical bit longer and in line with the frame of the Hilux to have the angled piece join up with the sides without going horizontal again. I hope this makes sense? But as with all projects, only later you see how you could have done it.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I guess I could have made the lowest vertical bit longer and in line with the frame of the Hilux to have the angled piece join up with the sides without going horizontal again.
No, I like the way you've done it ... looks better than if you'd left the angles out I think! :thumbup:

Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Very nice looking bumper :thumbup: Drop the riser a bit.

For the pressure idea... Fit a little tap to the bottom of the bumper and fill the thing with brandy... sorted :thumbup: :thumbup:
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Rebel 4x4: I do not really intend to take out taxis and definitely no kudus either, but an incident last year actually was the reason for the bumper. I had to locate the pictures first. Had burried them somewhere not to be reminded too often.
Here it goes: I think I do not need to explain a lot and it should be clear who the guilty one is:
Attachments
taxi 3 small.jpg
taxi 2 small.jpg
taxi 1 small.jpg
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Whoops, kind of was too quick for myself there. Still wanted to add the following:
The taxi attempted a u-turn right, but did not take into consideration how long it would take my hilux to stop, so bang. I actually tried to brake in time, especially since I did not have my taxi killer bumper in place yet...
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Ek wil sien watter Taxi dit weer sal waag!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Die meeste van hulle koes uit die pad uit soos niks :cooldude: Maar hoe cope jy met 'n voertuig wat nie eens op ' radar se skerm verskyn nie? :eh: Maar ek neem aan, daar waar jy met die lux ry, sal jy nie eers taxis kry nie :derisive:
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

smokintyres wrote:Rebel 4x4: I do not really intend to take out taxis and definitely no kudus either, but an incident last year actually was the reason for the bumper. I had to locate the pictures first. Had burried them somewhere not to be reminded too often.
Here it goes: I think I do not need to explain a lot and it should be clear who the guilty one is:
Eish, I'm so sorry..... :focus:
Sent from my iPhone
Rikkie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: D-4D

Post by Rikkie »

You'd be surprised how the sight of your new bumper will help taxi (and other) drivers remember their manners! :twisted:
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Rikkie wrote:You'd be surprised how the sight of your new bumper will help taxi (and other) drivers remember their manners! :twisted:
Especially the windgat little idiots with their citi golfs who think they are race car drivers cutting into a gap smaller than 5 microns just to stop at the red light in front of you.

And then they are weewee'd at you for not being able to stop a 2.5 ton bakkie in time and replacing the VW badge on their arse with ARB logo imprint :twisted:
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

smokintyres wrote: I conclude that the riser is the bit that "annoys" everybody. In my defense, I wanted it to stick out...
Just make it stick forward & sharpen them...better penetration :twisted: :twisted:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Okay....As julle nou regtig lus het om Taxis bang te maak :twisted: .......Ek praat vannie bumper, nie die witkop tannie nie. :D:
gi-joe-hummer.jpg
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I like
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ek like niks behalwe vir die oulikke 'tannie'! :lol:

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Mud Dog wrote:Ek like niks behalwe vir die oulikke 'tannie'! :lol:
Daai is net sooibrand my oom :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Spartan wrote:
Dan is dit nogtans blerrie mooi sooibrand! :laugh2:

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Mud Dog wrote:
Spartan wrote:
Dan is dit nogtans blerrie mooi sooibrand! :laugh2:
Ja en 'n Renie gaan jou nie uit daai verknorsing help :lmao:

Return to “Build your own:”