2.8 D/C TD - factory fitted

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
husteds
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: soon, a Hilux

2.8 D/C TD - factory fitted

Post by husteds »

Can anyone tell me whether or not the '97 2.8 D/C TD came standard with the turbo, or is it an after-market fitment?
Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Muizenberg
Vehicle: 97 2.8 D

Re: 2.8 D/C TD - factory fitted

Post by Coopraider »

Came out standard - I have one - also 97 model - but have since ditched the turbo
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1998 2.8D DC Raider

Post by Ouarzazate »

AFAIK, because it was a bolt-on job (no internal engine mods) the turbo's were fitted pre-delivery by John Conchie developments in Pinetown, and approved by Toyota. Same thing for the 5L, 3.0TD, which was an even bigger disaster. One of the few large mistakes that Toyota made.
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
husteds
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: soon, a Hilux

Post by husteds »

Thanks for the advice. Does that mean its not a good idea to have for our Africa trip? Is it easy to disconnect, would this make it a good option?
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ouarzazate »

It is not a good idea. They love to overheat, and also love to burst the oil pipe to the oil cooler. Which just goes to show how close to the limit the installation was. Increases in oil capacity and oil coolers are only fitted when engines have heat dissipation problems. This is why you find them on many race car engines.

My non-turbo 2.8D developed a head crack and wasted two radiators, so these engines are marginally cooled, even WITHOUT turbo's.

But AFAIK you can safely ditch the turbo. However, often, the engine damage has already been done, and it is best to give the engine a good inspection, or have it reconditioned by a reputable shop if you have the means.

Still remains a very capable vehicle on which one can safely spend some money and not be sorry about it in the future. Mine eventually cost me close to 60 K to fix, but IMHO is was still worthwhile!
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Toyota Japan never designed a 3L or 5L with a turbo but at the time the Isuzu 280DT's were kicking but in SA wrt fuel economy and performance (but reliability was also questionable),so Toy SA jumped on the bandwagon and and offered an options to order a Toyota approved after market turbo with your new Toyota. Nissan also did the same on their 2.7 diesel engine with massive reliability issues and warranty claims. Even tough it was Toyota approved and fitted it was really still not a real factory fitted turbo designed by the Toyota engine designers. It also led to a lot of warranty claims against Toyota.

To ditch the Turbo you need a NA engine's manifolds and plumbing.
Fdp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 97' 2.8Dt Hilux DC

Post by Fdp »

Ouarzazate wrote:AFAIK, because it was a bolt-on job (no internal engine mods) the turbo's were fitted pre-delivery by John Conchie developments in Pinetown, and approved by Toyota. Same thing for the 5L, 3.0TD, which was an even bigger disaster. One of the few large mistakes that Toyota made.
Question? Is or was John Conchie developments a Alphine agent? Mine has a Alphine turbo package and i did not really had temperature problems yet, (Only once in Lesotho but i pushed her a bit to get to the border)
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Ouarzazate »

Sorry, Don't know what I have been smoking... John Conchie is the owner of Alpine Developments. And they were by no means beginners in the business of modifying vehicles, so I can still not understand how they managed to get it so wrong.
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC

Return to “The Workshop”