1996 2.8D D/Cab 4x4 Temperature Concern

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Inyathi
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Surf SSRG

1996 2.8D D/Cab 4x4 Temperature Concern

Post by Inyathi »

I have just bought this vehicle and she is a beauty, taken her on a first long trip, it was hellishly hot here in KZN today and on the long uphills I noted the temperature gauge climb to just below red, this concerns me as I do not believe this is normal?
Yes, it was exceptionally hot but I did not exactly murder her on the long uphill, finished in 4th around 90km/h.
She was compression tested by a very well known franchised group on the 7/1/08 and came out sweet.
Any advice welcome please. :roll:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 1996 2.8D D/Cab 4x4 Teperature Concern

Post by Family_Dog »

Welcome Inyathi! Sorry I can't help you on the diesel enquiry, but someone will surely soon step in. My guess is that it should not do that, however.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Inyathi

Post by Inyathi »

Thanks -F_D
I am sure I shall get some valuable advice from the rest of the members.
I noticed that the Coolant level in the spare resevoir was quite low, will drain & flush radiator and coolant and replaced as per manufacturer specs with 50% ethylene glycol & water, then take her for a spin and check for a difference?
The radiator was however completely full and I saw no leaks on the pipes etc.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Inyathi

Welcome to the forum. As far as your problem is conserned first make sure the cooling system is bled properly and that there is good circulation causes of bad circulation is:

1) Loose water pump impeller
2) Faulty thermostat (most likley)
3) Leaks in the system
4) Bad Scale in cooling system
5) Blocked radiator or coolant pipe

Other possible causes are blown cylinderhead gasket, radiator cooling fins bent over or rubbish blocking the flow of air though the radiator. I dont think it will be the fan as that only comes into play at very low speeds or standing and at idle eg. Low range crawling or traffic in town.

Hope this is of some help :D
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Papa Joe
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CT - North of the Boerewors curtain
Vehicle: LEGEND 35 - 2004 2.7 D/C Hilux 4x4

Post by Papa Joe »

Cookie Monster Bull wrote: Other possible causes are blown cylinderhead gasket, ...
OR cracked cylinderhead ??? :evil:

Been there, done that on my 2.8 TD SFA & on my KZ-TE. (Yip, needless to say, I now drive a petrol !!!!)
:cry: 2 Cylinderheads in one lifetime, IS ENOUGH. :cry:

Get to "someone" who can do a Carbon Monoxide (gas) test on your cooling system (must let the engine get to operating temperature... if the water turns green in the test rig, ... RUN !!!

I REALLY hope it is something simple, so ja, ... go with Justin's checklist AND the gas test.

Good luck !!!!!
44444-WP
Papa Joe
Inyathi

Post by Inyathi »

Papa Joe,

Sounds like you have been particularly dealt a rotten hand in the past, but do you seriously think that my cylinder head can be cracked when Bosch diesel electric services tested the engine compression in January and all three tests show normal?
I am draining the radiator & engine and flushing the system, will also test and if necessary replace the thermostat.
Bought coolant from the agents as per specs, all ready to go.
basto
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 98 hilux 2.8 d

Post by basto »

Hi: mine has done that once very overloaded and 40 deg in the shade going up a long steep hill in the karoo. I stoped and cooled added water and was sweet for 300 km of the same abuse, since then i spoke to some experts and just drained and flushed ,added summer coolant and its now dealing very well with those 40 deg Karoo hills.....

anyway just sharing my 2c worth :lol:
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

My 2.8D did the same. I found a leak on the coolant hose and after a visit to Silverton I discovered the core was clean and in good condition, but it was the wrong one. A 3 core heavy duty was fitted and the problem was gone. I have an additional guage which measures the coolant temp inside the block and I have noticed that the temp stays lower when the revs are kept above 3000rpm going up long hills. I have also replaced my thermostat with an Isuzu thermostat which opens at 83°C and not at 88-90°C. This has also made a difference. Another 2.8D owner recommended this since he had the same problem.

Another member, Wade Bowman (IHilux) had the same problem on his 2.8D. I have since replaced the engine with a 3.0D and all problems are gone. Except for a intermittent crankshaft seal leak.

PS Silverton has also inspected my cooling system for CO emissions and gave it a clean bill of health. When the head was removed later to find an engine noise, the head was in fact cracked. I have heard this more than once. You don't always pick up a crack in the head with these type of tests. I found that on my 2.8D the coolant would not suck back into the radiator when cooling down overnight. The next morning I would still have some positive pressure in the radiator with around a litre of coolant short. This was possibly due to the crack in the head which increased the coolant pressure from time to time.

Without being a doom profit....I would never buy a 2.8D engine again! I've heard too many similar stories. Maybe I was just one of many with bad luck?
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
basto
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 98 hilux 2.8 d

Post by basto »

I agree , too many of these stories around. Definatelly not as bullet proof as the petrol counterparts.I just hope i get lucky with mine and not have too many problems.At the same time i love the engine, its been good to me,i love the sound and the economy of well under a rand per litre and above all the tractor like torque low down through the bundu. :mrgreen: pitty they have to have a weakness... :cry: :wink:
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1998 2.8D DC Raider

Re: 1996 2.8D D/Cab 4x4 Temperature Concern

Post by Ouarzazate »

Inyathi

Like Dawid, I have also been at the receiving end of a 2.8D! Ended up installing a complete new engine ($$$$'s). My head problems manifested as pipe leaks, radiator bulging, etc., but never saw any temperature increase during this time. Also, every radiator shop that tested came out clean, so I would not rely too much on these tests. BUT I do not think you have head problems.

So, my bet is that either the radiator is blocked, thermostat not opening enough, or your viscous fan may not be working properly. Also, if you can do without an aircon, I would remove it. It severely compromises cooling, and when it's very hot and the vehicle is heavily loaded, using the aircon leads to unacceptably large stresses on the cooling system. I have now installed an Avionics EGT gauge and a VDO temperature gauge, so can monitor everything very well. Have noticed a 5 degree increase in water T and 100 degree increase in EGT, with aircon on. Larger wheels (over-gearing) also add to the woes.

When fitted with standard 215's and no aircon, they go on forever.
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
Inyathi

Post by Inyathi »

It appears as if the stars in my eyes are turning into dollar notes reading the advice and comments, I guess only time will tell if this is going to be true.
I am tackling the task this week end and will take her for a long uphill drive in order to see if there is any change.
Keeping everything I have crossed.
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Inyathi wrote:I have just bought this vehicle and she is a beauty, taken her on a first long trip, it was hellishly hot here in KZN today and on the long uphills I noted the temperature gauge climb to just below red, this concerns me as I do not believe this is normal?
Yes, it was exceptionally hot but I did not exactly murder her on the long uphill, finished in 4th around 90km/h.
She was compression tested by a very well known franchised group on the 7/1/08 and came out sweet.
Any advice welcome please. :roll:
I had a similar issue with my Hilux...... after all tests were done, it turned out that the Hilux was never over heating, but rather a problem between the sensor, guage and the electrics.....
I had a 2.8D import engine fitted. Is you 2.8D the origional engine the vehicle come out with?
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1996 2.8D D/C Raider

Post by LouisK »

I also have a 1996 2.8D d/c with 255000 k's on the clock. Mine does exactly the same. On a hot day approaching the Tygerberg hill on the N1 coming from Cape Town, halfway up the temperature needle starts climbing to just above the halfway mark. I am doing no more than 110 km/h. As soon as I hit the downhill the temperature goes back to normal, just below halfway. Magnum radiators in Bellville said it's my Viscous fan that is switching on too late or sometimes not at all!

Fortunately when I drive hard off-road in low range the temperature is NEVER a problem, Only on the open road on uphill.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Louis, welcome to trhe forum and hope you enjoy your stay. :D
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Just what we need... another Capie... :wink:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Capies are always welcome... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
MarkWh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by MarkWh »

Hi Guys

this heating problem that you are having, is it on SA spec 2.8 or the jap import 2.8?

cheers
Mark
Inyathi

Post by Inyathi »

:D All smiles at this stage, replaced thermostat, new radiator cap, flushed & pressure cleaned radiator, took her for a long hard ride, temperature needle stuck just below half as if fixed by superglue. All this witout even using antifreeze, purchased that from toyota today & will put it in on saturday. At this stage I am one happy chappy.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Good show! It can be most worrying when things go out of the norm.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Inyathi

Post by Inyathi »

Thanks -F_D

Been worrying me in the back of my mind this last two weeks, what a relief.
Just love my Lux, given a choice between my KZTE HiLux Surf and the old faithfull SFA, yip you guessed - hehehe :mrgreen:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Kaspaas wrote:Capies are always welcome... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, Thys. Looks like I scared off LouisK :shock: . Maybe you should invite him to Kriges for a SZ and explain to him that Gautengers have a very warped sense of humor :oops: :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Scorpion wrote:Sorry, Thys. Looks like I scared off LouisK :shock: . Maybe you should invite him to Kriges for a SZ and explain to him that Gautengers have a very warped sense of humor :oops: :twisted:
Nee Johann for your punishment you can invite him to Kriges.. and buy him a drink... :| :twisted: :evil: :cry: 8) :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Okay, okay. I'm sorry if I insulted you, LouisK. :oops: Capies are always welcome. I hereby cordially invite you to Kriges at the next gettogether, so that we may all get to know one another. I unfortunately will not be able to make it, but please order yourself a SZ on my tab ( just tell the bartender to write it up under "Thys" or "Neil") and I will settle the bill when I get to CT again. My sincerest apologies!
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Ouarzazate
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: 1998 2.8D DC Raider

Post by Ouarzazate »

Hi Louis

I guess you are running 215/R15's then. I can forget to get to the top of this uphill section of the N1 doing 110 km/h on my 2.8D with 31" Cooper ST's! Anyway, if the needle moves upward, have your system checked out. These T gauges are notoriously insensitive to short term T changes (unlike a VDO gauge), so the T may be climbing beyond where you would be comfortable with it ( maybe above 105 C). To fix a 2.8 can be expensive... (ask me).

I would therefore have the cooling system checked out, preferably re-core the radiator (especially since it is a 1996 model), renew the thermostat, drain and flush the coolant, replace the pipes and as you said, check the viscous fan.

The fan hub can be opened and the fluid (silicone) checked/replaced. You buy the fluid from the agents.

Should get together sometime at Krige's.
Hilux 2.8D 4x4 DC
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:Capies are always welcome... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Hey hey, get F_D and Bennie to move to Cape Town, and we Capies will be as formidable as the Blou Bulle on this forum! :lol:

B
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Ouarzazate wrote:Hi Louis

I guess you are running 215/R15's then. I can forget to get to the top of this uphill section of the N1 doing 110 km/h on my 2.8D with 31" Cooper ST's! Anyway, if the needle moves upward, have your system checked out. These T gauges are notoriously insensitive to short term T changes (unlike a VDO gauge), so the T may be climbing beyond where you would be comfortable with it ( maybe above 105 C). To fix a 2.8 can be expensive... (ask me).

I would therefore have the cooling system checked out, preferably re-core the radiator (especially since it is a 1996 model), renew the thermostat, drain and flush the coolant, replace the pipes and as you said, check the viscous fan.

The fan hub can be opened and the fluid (silicone) checked/replaced. You buy the fluid from the agents.

Should get together sometime at Krige's.
I had the cooling system checked and a few pipes replaced, she's running very nice at the moment, with the needle not moving higher than one third up.

Thanks for all the welcomes, I am not easily scared away, I just went away for quite a long while after I signed up.
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Problems!! I thought I had my temperature problems sorted out...until yesterday! I am lead vehicle for the Construction du Cap ninety niner Cycle race tommorrow and drove the 121 kms from Durbanville to Malmesbury via Agter Paarl. Close to the Paarl I noticed the temp gauge creeping up and up and up! I slowed to 80 and it did not go any higher. In Malmesbury I topped up the water and the problem was over. I have already replaced all clamps and pipes and cleaned the radiator. :!: :?: I must add that it was close to 35 deg C yeasterday. Any suggestions?
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

There must be a reason why it lost water in the first place. The rise in temperature was probably due to the coolant level being a bit low. How much did you add? Maybe a small leak somewhere which only leaks at high temp/pressure.
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Bornfire
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Raider d/c 4x4 2.8d

Post by Bornfire »

Hi Louis

I read your story about the overheating problem. I stay in Wellington and had the same overheating problem with my 2.8d d/c witch my friend called HAMBUL(Humble) because my 2.8d ceeps me on my knees.

If you want to contack me, you can send me a emial at "cabotes@telkomsa.net" :D
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: Good news, glad not$$$$ :!:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage