Embarassing Hooter Problem

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

Embarassing Hooter Problem

Post by CrzyEng »

Hi Guys

Bit of a puzzler. Recently my '02 KZTE has the hooter going off at the most inopportune moments.

It appears the hooter goes off when I turn left (generally) or whent he car is bouncing around a bit. I've stripped the steering wheel and instrument cluster. Tried wriggling all the wires but no chance of finding the fault yet. It only appears to happen when the ignition is on so I'm assuming that there is a short somewhere that is driving the hooter instead of the normal pathway.

Any ideas?

I'm considering re-running the cabling from the steering wheel to the relay and then from the relay to the hooter itself.

Thanks
Don
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Embarassing Hooter Problem

Post by Mud Dog »

The problem is most likely the contacts between the steering wheel and the steering column. They are brush to disc type contacts and one or more of the brushes are possibly bent out of place.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

Re: Embarassing Hooter Problem

Post by CrzyEng »

I stripped the column but it appears they have replaced the brushes with a ribbon cable in a housing.

The problem only seems to happen when the ignition is on. If it was the brushes would it not also happen when the ignition is off?

Thanks for the help I'll keep reading up where I can.

Regards
Don

Return to “The Workshop”