Must Have's and Nice to Have's

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Must Have's and Nice to Have's

Post by Gertc »

Most of Us have their own idea of what to take on a trip! What work and what is just a waste of money.

Let us know what Works and what doesn’t.
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Must Have's and Nice to Have's

Post by Family_Dog »

Gert,

Anywhere here around Klerksdorp, all we need are a couple of beers... :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

I like to use 220V energy saver 11Watt globe for my Tent and around the camp site. When I’m at a camp site that got electricity I can plug it into the mains and when there is no electricity then I use a 300Watt inverter. This setup works for me.

I have built the inverter into an old toolbox. Added a plug. And now I have a place store my fly leads and don’t have to wonder where they are.
22012008161.jpg
I used cheap plastic light covers and added hooks on the back to be able to hang them in the middle of the tent roof on the tent poles. I also added illuminated switches to the lights. But connected them from the wrong side. Meaning that the light on the illuminated switch is always on. This makes it easier to find the switch in the dark. I also added male and female kettle plugs on the side of the lights. This makes it easier to connect 2 or more lights in series.
22012008160.jpg
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Aaaai kan net lekker wees. maar die baas moet darm lig in die tent he om die kos reg tekry en seker temaak die yskas is vol bier.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

A trip has various meanings, but if it's a day trip, I enjoy the little Cooler box that is fitted between my front bucket seats on the SFA. Plus, it serves as a very useful armrest and can hold a couiple of cans of cool drink upright as well.
Hilux, 4y 008 Coolbox Closed Small.jpg
Hilux, 4y 007 Small.jpg

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay FD

What you say we post a pic or two of our Home intertainment :mrgreen: 8)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Justin,

I've got some great ones to post of some vintage amplifiers (valve, nogal!) that I have just finished restoring! Got a new set of valves for them a week ago, what a difference :) The original ones were 40 years old and badly down on emission, the new ones rock!

Must say I have found the A/V forum a bit boring lately, some of the guys there have become really argumentative, almost like politicians :cry:

BTW, I am busy collecting bits 'n pieces to build a new solid-state stereo amplifier (I know, coming from a valve guy, that's almost like going from a Hilux to a Fiat Uno... :roll: ) but I feel the urge to do something different :)

-F_D

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Eric

What make/model is that nifty little 'tween seats' cooler you've got there please :?: :?:

Inquizzitively :wink:

Rich 8)
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay FD

Sounds awsome valve amps really are hard to beat when it comes to sound quality :!: But then I dont need to tell you :mrgreen: I messed around with home made integrated amps when I was still at school always had a problem with noise though but back then my knowlage was a little limited :!: I havnt been on the AV forum for a while must go have a look at what going on :roll:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Rich,

The Cooler is sold at Hi-Fi Corp for about R300. I looked everywhere for one (we didn't have a local Hi-Fi Corp until about a year ago) and actually got mine from a mate on the Community Forum. It fits snugly between the two standard bucket seats of the Hilux and features both heating and cooling facilities. Draws about 4 amps from the cigarette lighter and does have its own On/Off switch as well. I only switch it on during long trips, it seems to keep cool drinks at a nice temperature anyway, even if it's switched off.

Would be preferable to wire it in permanently and not use the cigarette lighter, but that is still on the 'to-do' list.

-F_D

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dadz Toy wrote:What make/model is that nifty little 'tween seats' cooler you've got there please :?: :?:
I also have one of those coolers, from Outdoor Warehouse. It works like a charm, keeps drinks nice and cool, especially when driving thru the Karoo. But not so nice when driving thru the Cederberg with no aircon and 45' C.... :D :lol: then the cooldrinks ended up to be 25'C :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Must have's on a camp.....

Jy moet lekker slaap - Tent, mattras, kussing en slaapsak.
Jy moet lekker eet- Braaivleis rooster, potjie, pap, braaibrootjie met eetgerei.
Jou goed moet koel wees- Yskas / Vrieskas om vleis en verversings in te hou.
Jy moet kan sien in die nag - Beligting. Dit kan maar lyk soos New York in die nag by my kamp. :D

Nice to have on a camp.....

(Topless blond wat drankies aandra) :mrgreen:
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

My items wat ek vir kamp rondra (addisioneel tot die gewone slaapsak/tent/matras)
1) cable ties - sommer die heel langes. Ek het al tentpale etc met hulle reggemaak
2) Ligte - enige soort. Ek het seker 20 flitse/lanterns by die huis, waarvan omtrent almal batterye het
3) Niks wen 'n lekker Coleman nie (addisioneel tot jou yskas) Daarin gooi ek my drank en kan dit as tafel/stoel/voetrus ook gebruik
4) tou - nie daai dik tou nie, maar eerder die dun geweefde een. Dink dis Dacron. (die tipe wat hulle vir tenttoue gebruik) Dra so `n 100m rol gewoonlik saam
5) Burnshield - Dis die goed wat hulle in die hospitale gebruik vir persone wat verband het. Dit `n spuitbotteltjie, of gaas wat steriel verpak is

My2cw
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

My overland packing lists....
Attachments
tools Spares and equipment lists.xls
(30 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

This E-Bay seller has a nifty product, and shipping to SA is only $20.00. What about a "Group-Buy"?
PRICE DRASTICALLY REDUCED!!!!

This auction is for one gallon of 100% natural dehydrated H2O. This is enough to makes thousands of gallons of drinking water!!! Just add water!!! Simply open the jug, pour into a container for 10 seconds and then fill the rest of the container with water (we recommend bottled water for best taste). It's that simple!!! And if you run out, no problem, just leave the jug open for 30 seconds and it refills itself!!! This is an invaluable item for traveling, camping, the races, etc. Get yours early!!! The price on this stuff is guaranteed to go up!!!! Once you try it you'll wonder how you got by without it for so long!!! ATTENTION: This product DOES NOT sterilize water. If you mix unclean or contaminated water with our product then you will end up with an unclean and contaminated final product not fit or safe to drink. ONLY ADD CLEAN TAP OR BOTTLED WATER!!!!
Dehydrated Water.JPG
Dehydrated Water.JPG (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

-F_D

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”