Rusted Load Body

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
cockroach9999
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: False Bay Cape Town
Vehicle: 91 Hilux 2.2 EFI D/C 4x4 - Rustbucket

Rusted Load Body

Post by cockroach9999 »

Hi All

Looking for some advice regarding rust on the load body of my SFA.

The rest of the bodywork has minor spots here and there, which I am gradually working through. However, the underside of the loadbody at the front is particularly bad, primarily on what I would call the "support beam/strengthening beam" or whatever the technical term is. Basically that piece of squarish hollow metal which goes across the the chassis members at the very front of the load body. Seems a fairly typical bakkie weakness if there is no canopy where the water has gathered and run through the joins.

Is this replaceable/repairable without having to replace the entire load body. The rest of it is in pretty good nick.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rusted Load Body

Post by Mud Dog »

Jason, anything is possible with enough money and effort. :wink: I've never had my load body off, so I don't know how much it would entail to replace, but I've done it before on my old Ford Cortina bakkie many yrs ago. Take the bin off & turn it upside down ... clean off and then you can see what you're looking at. Should'nt be too much of a schlep to cut out the rust and rivet / weld in new sheet metal, and then weld on a new brace .... just depends on how handy you are with bodywork ... does'nt need to be a pro finish since it's only the inside of the load body that's affected. As long as it looks neat, I reckon. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”