SFA Hilux Rebuild/3UZ Lexus Conversion

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Re: SFA Hilux Rebuild/3UZ Lexus Conversion

Post by Reinart21 »

Thanks those pic's will definitely help a lot!
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Reinart21 wrote: Can the visco also be used on the 3u?

What radiator are you using?
You can use the visco but you need to have the model with the visco coupling and not the hyd pump.
The one with the pump apparently self destruct if you connect the visco fan to it.

Radiator??? I have a 4 core radiator that came with the bakkie when I bought it. It looks like it could be the KZ radiator or the one from a 2.8d or 2.4d as it is long and hangs out the bottom. I need to have it repaired as the inlet/outlet pipe where changed around to accommodate the previous WL diesel that was in the bakkie.
Other Than that I believe that the radiator will be sufficient.
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:
Reinart21 wrote: Can the visco also be used on the 3u?

What radiator are you using?
You can use the visco but you need to have the model with the visco coupling and not the hyd pump.
The one with the pump apparently self destruct if you connect the visco fan to it.

Radiator??? I have a 4 core radiator that came with the bakkie when I bought it. It looks like it could be the KZ radiator or the one from a 2.8d or 2.4d as it is long and hangs out the bottom. I need to have it repaired as the inlet/outlet pipe where changed around to accommodate the previous WL diesel that was in the bakkie.
Other Than that I believe that the radiator will be sufficient.
Yeah, that radiator sounds about right. I also went the KZTE route, also you get two versions of it, I got the original thicker one, also believe it is a 4 core, 36mm core or some such.

The 3UZ does not come with a hydro pump or anything similar, that specific part that the 1U's are used for a visco fan is an idler only on the 3u...
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

This here 3Uz off the LS430. Not sure if it can be used for visco? Just a Idler pulley, not pump and nothing behind it.
This here 3Uz off the LS430. Not sure if it can be used for visco? Just a Idler pulley, not pump and nothing behind it.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

That Can't just be an Idler, it turns the water pump behind it. If not then where is the water pump?!

As far as I have it you should be able to replace the waterpump with that of a 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ that drives a visco and not the hyd pump.
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Lol,its just an Idler.

My water pump gets run off the timing belt. Had a good inspection on it when we replaced the T-belt.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

That is if I am not completely wrong. Never took pic's when we replaced the T-belt.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

You are right :surrender: , it is driven by the Cam belt............too many engines...too many things to remember.

But then you should be able to get the bracket that holds the visco fan
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

After some digging

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Muscat and Midrand
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

Hi there Guys!
I am also busy with a 3UZ into an IFS.
I was thinking exactly the same thing Reinart.
There is no reason I can see why you cannot bolt the viscous coupling and fan to that idler pulley.
Ill be following your progress closely! :cooldude:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:After some digging

Image Link Broken
So what you are saying is, get the fan assembly but then what about the fan itself, no Toyota part?

I see this is off the GS430, Toyota SA does support the 3UZ-FE but only in the LS430, should I be worried about that?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

As ek reg onthou loop daai pulley op die gewone belt wat maar die altinator, power steering ens aandryf. Ek kyk vanaand.

Dan die exhaust manifolds sit ek in met die engine in. Het wel die flange is kleiner as std.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

LouisZ wrote:As ek reg onthou loop daai pulley op die gewone belt wat maar die altinator, power steering ens aandryf. Ek kyk vanaand.

Dan die exhaust manifolds sit ek in met die engine in. Het wel die flange is kleiner as std.
Ek het met Allen gepraat, so hopelik kan ons dit so uitwerk soos jy dit nou hier noem ja.. :beg: :beg:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Reinart21 wrote:
So what you are saying is, get the fan assembly but then what about the fan itself, no Toyota part?

I see this is off the GS430, Toyota SA does support the 3UZ-FE but only in the LS430, should I be worried about that?
Do you want the toyota fan part numbers, same as 2UZ, 100% supported by TSA.
I have a local toyota dealer that will bring me any part number I ask for, it may take a bit longer but it gets here

oh yes and the fan turns the opposite way to the motor so you need to get a fan accordingly

BUT BUT BUT :surrender: :surrender: I have been fitting and squeezing and testing and stripping and fitting and and and...............I cant get a visco and an OEM fan in the space I have created :surrender: :cry:

So show me if you get it right :beg:
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

LouisZ wrote:As ek reg onthou loop daai pulley op die gewone belt wat maar die altinator, power steering ens aandryf. Ek kyk vanaand.

Het jy die stock manifolds gebruik en net kleiner flanges opgeweld of is dit ander manifolds?

Soos ek verstaan is die stock manifolds cast iron so ek weni hoe gerus jy daaraan kan weld nie.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:
Reinart21 wrote:

Do you want the toyota fan part numbers, same as 2UZ, 100% supported by TSA.
I have a local toyota dealer that will bring me any part number I ask for, it may take a bit longer but it gets here

oh yes and the fan turns the opposite way to the motor so you need to get a fan accordingly

BUT BUT BUT :surrender: :surrender: I have been fitting and squeezing and testing and stripping and fitting and and and...............I cant get a visco and an OEM fan in the space I have created :surrender: :cry:

So show me if you get it right :beg:
I should be able to help you out, but not within a week min. Going to try a different route. Getting a set of engine mounts and a visco assembly. The visco adapter with fan is about 40 mm thick. Very flat for a visco, should go in. But i have to wait for the parts and needs to be couriered up from CT.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Will wait to see what you produce :thumbup:
Going to continue with my engine mounts so long and get my radiator pipes sorted.
Also still have to prep the engine so have some time for delays.

And then there is still the manifolds.
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

With the motor in, we did manage to get one manifold on, take note the engine was not secure with mounts, was hanging from the "olifantjie" and trollie jacks on the gearbox. One problem I see is, depending on the motors final resting place, the flanges on the back of the manifolds may be a problem, they are to close the the chassis. May need to make up a new set or have a look at how that can be overcome.
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

Older 1UZ may have cast iron manifold, but my 3UZ manifolds are fabricated tube. Probably some sort of stainless material. So can be welded. I will be using TIG welding with 316 filler.
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

That pulley is used for the visco fan i used that pulley in my dads lux. search for "my first attempt at a conversion" and also " my third attempt at a conversion" the last one is the one i did in my land cruiser . hope it helps
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Dis kleiner flanges wat opgeweld is. Die manifolds wat ek het gaan met gemak in. Dis seker die die hoogte van die engine op die engine mounts relatief met die chassis wat dit maklik maak.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Small List of components I require to get:

Shifter.
Electrical Cabling for the new components.
Fuel Pipes for the new Fuel Pump and the Regulator. (The Fuel Pump is in-line, Regulator needs a home, anybody with suggestions?
Relays and Fuses for the new components.(Or may go with one of Derrick's fuse boxes).
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Anyone know where I can get a new or good condition condenser for this Hilux? Nothing wrong with the old one, want to relocate and not sure how the old condenser is going to react to new motors air con pump. Is is possible to use the old condenser if it's in good nick?
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

LouisZ wrote:Dis kleiner flanges wat opgeweld is. Die manifolds wat ek het gaan met gemak in. Dis seker die die hoogte van die engine op die engine mounts relatief met die chassis wat dit maklik maak.
MAW hoe hoër die enjin sit hoe makliker kom die mani's in. Daai deel verstaan ek, ek wag net vir my mounts om te kom dan kyk ons na wat ons gaan maak met die mani's.

Ek sien Biltzkrieg het sy exhaust by TNT laat doen in middelburg, klip gooi van my af. Ek het Viper Exhaust in Germiston/Edenvale oorweeg. Daar iemand wat raad kan gee or die exhaust sisteem?
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

Exhaust is n baie pesoonlikke ding. Waarvan jy hou of nie. Ek hou glad nie van die bler van n dubbel pyp sisteem nie. My sisteem gaan 2 1/4 duim pyp net na die manifolds wees to waar hulle kan bymekaar kom agter die transfer case. Van daar af een 3 duim pyp met seker twee silencers in.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Ek neem foto weer, ok ene gekry. Die exhaust wat op is op die vorige ene was net so om mooi te klink. As jy hom trap gaan jy hom wel hoor maar gewoonweg ry is hy heel aangenaam.

Van die manifolds loop dit deur 'n klein box, altwee kante. Loop dan agter toe. een pyp loop dan agter om die transfer waar die bymekaar kom in een boks. Van daar loop die uit in 2 pype lanks die kant uit voor die agter deur.
Attachments
DSC_3455.jpg
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Ek moet n Y in kry van die twee manifolds af agtertoe, en die pyp moet een word so gou as moontlik. Ek het n aftermarket ECU en hy maak die gebruik van n wideband O2 sensor wat die ontbranding se gasse meet. Rich or Lean. So daai sensor moet in die pyp sit om altwee banke se gas te kan meet. Verkieslik so naby as moontlik aan die exhaust headers. So dit lê nog vir my voor.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Hiluxfan_111 wrote:Exhaust is n baie pesoonlikke ding. Waarvan jy hou of nie. Ek hou glad nie van die bler van n dubbel pyp sisteem nie. My sisteem gaan 2 1/4 duim pyp net na die manifolds wees to waar hulle kan bymekaar kom agter die transfer case. Van daar af een 3 duim pyp met seker twee silencers in.
Stem baie saam met jou, veral as jy nou 1000km's+ moet ry dan wil jy hom redelik stil hê. Veral as n ou nog sleep ook. Na so paar duisend kilos is dit nie meer snaaks nie.

Het my oë op n sisteem uit die buite land, maar dis bietjie duur, R5k vir die expansion boks en free flow boks, maar R6k om dit hier te kry so dis 11k vir n 5k sisteem. Dan moet die pype ook nog opgemaak word ens.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Sal hierdie outjies pas op die hilux? 15x8.0|6x139|-19 15"?? Vir die meer tegniese manne?

Wil graag 15 duim wiele opsit met 33 of so bande, die band breedte is 12.5. Sal die kombinasie werk? Kan die bande in 10.0 ook kry maar nie seker watter kant to nie. Dis die BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 108Q RWL LRC GO.

Nog n ding, waarvoor staan die 108Q??
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

hi Reinhart
Ive done two SFA conversions both with the 1UZFE non VVTI. In both cases neither had the body lift, but the second conversion has the standard headers on. I lengthened them after the lamda sensor so the flanges were further back. both run electric fans for cooling. cant see a viscous fitting in there.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Are you going to use the original fuel line? or is it not thick enough?
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

I'm using an in-line walbro 255l/h fuel pump, with an AEM pressure regulator.

Getting 8mm/ID fuel lines, the ones that can handle high pressure. I can't say if the originals are up to the task, but I'd rather upgrade the fuel lines due to them not being used under high pressure originally.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Muz wrote:hi Reinhart
Ive done two SFA conversions both with the 1UZFE non VVTI. In both cases neither had the body lift, but the second conversion has the standard headers on. I lengthened them after the lamda sensor so the flanges were further back. both run electric fans for cooling. cant see a viscous fitting in there.
Did you run with a KZTE rad? What are the depths of the fans? Need to order mine, and the motor is not yet on mounts so it's a bit of a thumb suck at this stage. :frustrated: :frustrated:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Have not fitted them, worst that could happen is a new set of Rims :dance1: :dance1:
Attachments
20151105_192247a.jpg
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX

Post by TheoM »

Reinart21 wrote:I'm using an in-line walbro 255l/h fuel pump, .....Getting 8mm/ID fuel lines, the ones that can handle high pressure. I can't say if the originals are up to the task, but I'd rather upgrade the fuel lines due to them not being used under high pressure originally.
I changed to the legendary Bosch 044 pump and kept the Walbro pump as the spare/backup. I run 12 mm lines(with a feeder pump) from the main tank via a surge tank and then to the HP pump and then reduced to 10mm lines after the HP pump.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

TheoM wrote:
Reinart21 wrote:I'm using an in-line walbro 255l/h fuel pump, .....Getting 8mm/ID fuel lines, the ones that can handle high pressure. I can't say if the originals are up to the task, but I'd rather upgrade the fuel lines due to them not being used under high pressure originally.
I changed to the legendary Bosch 044 pump and kept the Walbro pump as the spare/backup. I run 12 mm lines(with a feeder pump) from the main tank via a surge tank and then to the HP pump and then reduced to 10mm lines after the HP pump.
The feed pump, is it an in-line or in-tank? With regards to the the HP pump, do you have a return line after the HP pump?

The set up I'm probably going to run looks like this.
3uza.jpg
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

Hi Reinart,

both conversions used the 2.4 diesel radiator. seems to do the job. Towing a loaded ranger with its off-road caravan up a hill caused it to get a bit hot the other day
richardo1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: 1988 SFA 4x4

Post by richardo1 »

Hi reinhart

Wil jy nie vir my jou email address gee nie asb ?

Dankie byvoorbaat
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

richardo1 wrote:Hi reinhart

Wil jy nie vir my jou email address gee nie asb ?

Dankie byvoorbaat
Reinartv7@gmail.com
TheoM
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: UZJ 42 LX

Post by TheoM »

Reinart21 wrote:
TheoM wrote:
The feed pump, is it an in-line or in-tank? With regards to the the HP pump, do you have a return line after the HP pump?

The set up I'm probably going to run looks like this.
3uza.jpg

Yeah the feed pump is an inline Facet pump. My return is to the surge tank first and from there back to the main tank - surge tank is always full even at most extreme angles :thumbup:
Willied
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: '90 Hilux

Post by Willied »

Hey guys, any progress here?
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

He will get stuck with something soon enough and come wandering back to the forum :sleep:
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:He will get stuck with something soon enough and come wandering back to the forum :sleep:
Hahahahhahahaha I got stuck before that post lol. Was on holiday in Nam, got back a week ago so, haven't exactly restarted work on the project, burning to though. Want to hear what is sounds like.... :cooldude: :cooldude:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I am about 3 hours work away from starting.
Image Link Broken
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Knuppel wrote:I am about 3 hours work away from starting.
So you should've been done by 18h00.

It's now tomorrow and you're still not done.

?????????

:subscribed:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I said 3 hours work. not by 18:00. work and life still happens first then comes play work ;-)

Only did 1 hour yesterday. maybe today...... maybe not :cooldude:
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

I completed my 2 hours today.........
Image Link Broken
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I see so.......... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Come on Reinart, you lagging terribly behind here. :blink:

I found a guy in Nelspruit who builds the sprinter visco mod!
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

EIsh man... I know I am lagging behind terribly here...

My biggest obstacle is to do the wiring for the management system... Don't laugh, but I opted for an aftermarket 30K unit, the only concern is I have to do the wiring myself. Bit of a donkey hitting his head against a wall here....
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Quick question now that I'm here. The 22R 2.4 late models, '97 etc.

With regards to the fuel tank and fuel filter, does it have a filter inside the tank?? I need to find out if I need to place a filter in line somewhere, as my walbro in-ling fuel pump sites basically 1m from the tank and then pressurizes the fuel forward to the engine bay.

Anybody know?? :subscribed: :subscribed:
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I took the tank off my 22R and there was no filter in the tank
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Thomo82
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: London
Vehicle: FZJ80 / LJ70

Post by Thomo82 »

Hey Reinhart,

I am starting to look at the wiring on my project and it can be pretty daunting. I came across a good video series on youtube which has some pretty good tips for making your own harness and wiring up an engine from scratch. Doesn't hurt that its a 1UZ either. You should give it a watch, they break down the process into small steps, which I am doing now and it makes it seem like a less intimidating task.

https://youtu.be/gDYIgBnYvi4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how to embed a youtube clip...
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Thanks Thomo. Will give it a try. Yes, very intimidating.

Thanks nic for the info on the filter.

General concensus for the filter is pre-pump? Any in-line filters I can have a look at?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Reinart21 wrote:Thanks Thomo. Will give it a try. Yes, very intimidating.

Thanks nic for the info on the filter.

General concensus for the filter is pre-pump? Any in-line filters I can have a look at?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Yes Reinart,

My 22R's petrol pipe in the tank (suction pipe) has a filter on. If you really want you can unscrew the assembly and have a look. But I would suggest to just put another in-line filtertjie between the tank and the first pump (I put one in). They are cheap...

CHeers,
C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Got some work done over the weekend. Marius, watch out! Ek is op jou stert!

Got the loadbin into position, with the 50mm lift done etc. New rubbers all round with the aluminum spacers in.

Now, I received some contradicting advice, concerning the fuel line. With the fact that it will be running fuel injection with a mighty strong (read friggin expensive pump) one suggestion was to start off with the tank, small filter inside, from there to in-line pump, then HP fuel injection in-line filter, AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator, split return and feed to Fuel Rail,Side Feed Injectors.

In other words:
Fuel Line.jpg
Reason being, if your filter blocks, your pump still have fuel so even if it keeps running, it doesn't run dry and overheat. Whilst, if you have the filter before the pump, your pump will run dry if the filter blocks.

Just being overly careful, or should it be a concern? :crazy: :crazy:

Maybe Mud Dog can help out here, on the OEM Fuel tank, there are two "screw in" caps, one houses the feed and return lines, another the plug in I assume is for the fuel level indicator. then between the two there is another 6mm steel pipe, same as feed and return line, coming out of the tank, can't seem to guess what it's for, just a breather? Will try and post a pic later on.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Regarding the filtration. The HP pumps rely on clean fuel to be able to build pressure. If it sucks crap your pump is destroyed. Chances of running dry are less than sucking crap.

The other pipe is a breather as far as I have it
Image Link Broken
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Knuppel wrote:Regarding the filtration. The HP pumps rely on clean fuel to be able to build pressure. If it sucks crap your pump is destroyed. Chances of running dry are less than sucking crap.

The other pipe is a breather as far as I have it
How bout this? Filter before after?? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was my thinking as well, you don't want unfiltered fuel going through the pump...
Building the pressure that it does, and that "pre-filter" in the suction part of the tank is good for rocks and diamonds getting into the tank. Not exactly fit for HP pumps.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Out of the 37 Hilux 4Y Efis I used the principle of the following;

Out Of the tank 10mm metal fuel pipe, then an inline cheap 10mm fuel filter, the inline high pressure fuel filter next and lastly the 8mm inline high pressure fuel filter to the fuel regulator on the fuel rail. Its simple.

No pre pumps, not incline problems for fuel starvation.

I do the same with the 3UZ Hilux what I am busy with, Only difference will be I be using the in tank fuel pump. I use the same filter that's used in the 3RZ tanks to get it filtered.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

LouisZ wrote:Out of the 37 Hilux 4Y Efis I used the principle of the following;

Out Of the tank 10mm metal fuel pipe, then an inline cheap 10mm fuel filter, the inline high pressure fuel filter next and lastly the 8mm inline high pressure fuel filter to the fuel regulator on the fuel rail. Its simple.

No pre pumps, not incline problems for fuel starvation.

I do the same with the 3UZ Hilux what I am busy with, Only difference will be I be using the in tank fuel pump. I use the same filter that's used in the 3RZ tanks to get it filtered.
Okay, just one question, you don't mention any pump, anywhere?? OEM 3Uz manual states, if I remember the number correctly, but it's something like, Fuel pressure to be 42psi above manifold pressure at all times. You gona need a pump to get there... :subscribed: :subscribed:

Oh wait, never mind, took me a re-read to see that you mentioned the in-tank pump... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”