Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: witbank
Vehicle: 93 hilux raider d/c 4x4

7mge fueling and dyno?

Post by Macaco »

Hi guys, I have recently done a 7mge heart transplant on my SFA with a dictator management, wat I wanna know is wat would be the best fuel to use in it (93 super, LRP, 93 UNLEADED, 95 UNLEADED) for best consumption and performance to go with it and secondly in wondering if I myself shouldn't take it for a second dyno, season being that wen the transplant was complete my mechanic to the bakkie for a dyno but at that time wen the bakkie got on the dyno the clutch started slipping and the cone filter was directly attached to the throttle, so wen got the bakkie she would start to choke wen I would apply the throttle heavily and at times wen I would get to a intersection to stop as I engage clutch she would just die, so I would be forced to keep the revs up and keep revving it to pull away, I have since put in a new clutch and a long induction pipe for the cone filter with a propeller inside, she continued doing that for about another day or so and all became well, throttle responds perfectly and she doesn't just die at a stop street, but every now and then that problem comes back but just for that day and I notice it after I have pushed the bakkie a lil hard or have done sum bundu bashing then that problem comes back and I have noticed a strong smell of petrol out the exhaust, seems she's running a lil too rich but the mechanic says that's normal for these kinds of conversions and I shouldn't worry too much about that cause if I get down to sea level then she will be fine as to setting her too lean hear and wen I get to sea level I might have problems, so now I'm not to sure wat to do, any advice pls?

PS: I don't know if the fuel I'm currently using could be contributing to these problems, I'm using 93 super or premium from total?!?!?
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1984 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SFA ; 2011 Fortuner 4x4 ; BMW 650 GS

Re: 7mge fueling and dyno?

Post by cyborg »

Hi Marco,
Did you document your project at all? I'll be starting my 7MGE installation soon, and would welcome any advice.
I'm also curios about the Bell housing or adapter plate you used.
Sump issues and so on.

How is your motor running now?
Hilux 4x4. . . . :thumbup:
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

My van would also die all of a sudden etc etc. Took it for a dyno and ........ still the same. Took it to a guy in Jhb, who rev it half the time and whalla FIXED. I use 93 unleaded but still have the original ecu.
Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Macaco »

Hi Gerald,

to be honest, I had almost nothing to do with my conversion, my mechanic did everything, but I do know he did run into a few small snags, sump being one of them, something to do about the front diff and sump clearance, but it's all in now and fits perfectly so not sure as to wat he did about that, the bellhousing wasn't a problem as I bought the bakkie already with a 5m motor and gearbox conversion so the gearbox and bellhousing was a straight fit, the one engine mounting had to be moved and the powerstearing pump bottle also had to be moved, other than that it was a fairly problem free conversion says the mechanic, I would just advise if ur using the same setup as me with engine and management, pls have it dynoed by a professional and someone who understands 4x4ing and setting up thereof or u gonna sit with my problem at the moment, a drag racing 4x4 which makes little sense off-road, I need to have my management re-mapped and setup properly, also check and make sure that everything with ur drive line is in good condition cause I'v recently run into a few snags with that, I replaced the center bearing and u-joint about 3 weeks ago and the u-joint I replaced is already buggerd due to of buying cheap and the engine being a hole lot stronger, those 2 combinations don't mix well, other than that, enjoy ur project and in sure u won't be disappointed with the result, I'm not, I love every minute I spend in my bakkie. I may have left a few things out so if theirs any more u wanna know pls don't hesitate to ask and if I'm not sure I can always find out for u from my mechanic, or ( this could be the best advice I could give u) do yourself a favour and go c Louis at 4x4 megaworld in menlyn, the guy is truly a know it all wen it comes to these old SFA's, he has one himself, so it help to talk to someone with real experience and especially with conversions, he knows more about this 7m motor and conversion than my mechanic does, he helped me so much the other day I was there with advice, hes the one that told me about my propshaft problems and that my bakkie needs to be re-dynoed, and showed me a few other small problems no one else could help me with
SFA for life baby
S.-so
F.-F@#&ING
A.-awesome :mrgreen:
Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Macaco »

Hi Everdt,

my problem is now also kind solved after I took it for its second dyno, she doesn't die anymore or over fuel, but like I mentioned in my previous message, I'm now sitting with a drag racing 4x4, she only makes maximum power high up in the rev range, around 5000 and 5500rpm, that doesn't help me at all when off-roading, I now use 93 unleaded and ya she performs a little bit better now and fuel consumption is a little better too, I just wanna ask, what oil do u use in your engine?
SFA for life baby
S.-so
F.-F@#&ING
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Same as Evert, I use 93&95 unleaded, but again on the original ECU.

I had my 7M set by a mechanic that did his apprenticeship on the 5M and 7M in the late 80'ties/early 90'ties.
After I rebuilt the whole engine to a all original 7M in 2012, (took forever to find an untouched crack BTW) I realised I had heavy over feuling. Quick pop in at my mechie, tested my CO @ 4.7%!!
Thats nearly 3 x more than the spec (1.7%)

After adjustment, better pull, better feul economy and no more petrol fumes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Oja , Cyborg I'm doing a complete engine bay resuffle in the next few months.
Planning to document the whole procedure as well as a inverted draglink mod. :thumbup:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1984 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SFA ; 2011 Fortuner 4x4 ; BMW 650 GS

Post by cyborg »

Kaspaas wrote:Same as Evert, I use 93&95 unleaded, but again on the original ECU.

I had my 7M set by a mechanic that did his apprenticeship on the 5M and 7M in the late 80'ties/early 90'ties.
After I rebuilt the whole engine to a all original 7M in 2012, (took forever to find an untouched crack BTW) I realised I had heavy over feuling. Quick pop in at my mechie, tested my CO @ 4.7%!!
Thats nearly 3 x more than the spec (1.7%)

After adjustment, better pull, better feul economy and no more petrol fumes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Oja , Cyborg I'm doing a complete engine bay resuffle in the next few months.
Planning to document the whole procedure as well as a inverted draglink mod. :thumbup:

This is all good info. I think I'm going to post a new thread as I start with my 7M install, so as to address any issues as they arise. Or better yet. . . BEFORE they arise. Why not make use of the wealth of knowledge I have at my fingertips ;-)
Hilux 4x4. . . . :thumbup:
Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Macaco »

sounds like a good idea, I'll sure be following, glad to c the 7m family isn't a dying breed just yet
SFA for life baby
S.-so
F.-F@#&ING
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Marco - I use shell Helix HX7 which I change every 10 000 km

Cobus - het jy nog altyd die Cressida ecu gebruik?

STERKTE manne ek hou hierdie draad fyn dop.
Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Macaco »

ok thanks Everdt, I'm currently using Castro edge, 5w40, but the oil seems to be a bit too thin, the bakkie runs fine with it around town and normal driving but when the engine gets put under a lil bit of stress the oil light comes on at idle, when I rev or keep the revs up the light goes off or then when the engine cools off all is fine again and when I check the level it's fine, it makes no sense, isn't the HX7 also a 5w40 synthetic oil?
SFA for life baby
S.-so
F.-F@#&ING
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

It's a 10W-40. But it's interesting you mentioning it. I was on my way for the weekend when the oil warning light comes on. Luckily I got a spare sensor, which I previously repair with pratley and have the same symptons (?) you describe with idling. I still have to buy a new one.
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Jis Everdt, ek het nog die oorspronklike Cressida ene.

Macaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Macaco »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:It's a 10W-40. But it's interesting you mentioning it. I was on my way for the weekend when the oil warning light comes on. Luckily I got a spare sensor, which I previously repair with pratley and have the same symptons (?) you describe with idling. I still have to buy a new one.

so you saying it could just be my sensor messing around then?
SFA for life baby
S.-so
F.-F@#&ING
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Marco - I bought 2 sensors but the threat (?) were different, so eventually got a Echlin OP6078, put some threattape on and problem fixed. AutoZone for R75. I have tried to laboured the engine and no oil light shows.
Cres
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Cressida 2JZ , Lexus IS200 Sport , Hilux s/c 3.0D4D 4x4, Hilux d/c SFA 7MGTE

Post by Cres »

Macaco, just check your temperature sensors for the ecu where they are located and working...you'll need a computer to check, there should be a air temp and water temp
saan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota hilux

Post by saan »

Hi I got a 7Mgte conversion
Hi all I got feuling problem van missing. Black smoke then ball off white smoke when she missus.
Jacques T
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by Jacques T »

I think it's normal. My missus also blows steam when I spend money on my Hilux.
saan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by saan »

Don't go there!
Where the wife is concerned that's a discussion on its own
heinstein
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 DC 4x4

Post by heinstein »

Hi all

I'm glad there is guys doing and playing around with what I did last year.
A pal helped me to build a 7mge into my Hilux 2200.
Some mechanics did the wiring and setup of the Spitronics management.
Then there was an issue when putting foot down, the bakkie will "gulp" before power comes through.
Bakkie went back and after more setup the issue was solved.
I have tested the bakkie for a while now and the fuel consumption is terrible.
When driving for best possible consumption, I get almost 5km/l.
It easily drops to below 4.

What type of consumption can I expect if correctly tuned? I want the best possible fuel consumption.
Must I take the bakkie for a dyno, or who can set it properly?
Any more advice?

Regards
Hein
richardo1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: 1988 SFA 4x4

Post by richardo1 »

Hi manne

Ek het ook 'n 7m masjien en dis maar vir my die beste lexus is biekie overrated

Ekt onlangs dictator opgesit ... Ek het ook nog die oorspronklike ecu en air flow meter gebruik maar toe besluit om hom op my boot as 'n anker te gebruik

Ek het onlangs ook nuwe bearings en ringe ingesit en hy gee my nou so 8.5 km/l opi langpad met vrag !
Wat meer wil 'n man he van 'n lang 6
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Hein my 7M gives me between 7.5 -7.8km\L
That's on 33's and Suspension lift ect..

saan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by saan »

I am running 7mgte 5km/L its not the tuning its the diff ratios making it heavy on petrol revving to hi. Drop diff ratios to 4.11 front and back she will be liter. that is what I am doing now
saan
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by saan »

My van 7mgte
Attachments
Ismail.jpg
Ismail.jpg (174.57 KiB) Viewed 5469 times

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”