Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Luxi is getting the Lexus 1UZ VVTi

Post by LouisZ »

The BMW 740-750 can be used to a degree that it will not cause overheating. However the overheating can come from another source like for instance a wrongly installed thermostat, beware the plastic housing there needs a new O-Ring for the thermostat and also look at the housing for cracks. Estimating, in Luxi's case there is another problem that is missed.

The other way is to get the Radiator side tanks enlarged. This gives it a larger capacity. Also use the correct thermo switch at the right temperature. Use a good Fan or even a twin fan setup.

To keep the Donaldson Filter you can do, but to a degree that remember you sit with a 78mm(have to check this again) throttle body opening that goes to a 60mm Donaldson filter, to further this the intake is a bit smaller. Air movement is decreased. One also can change the top plenium around to get the line of the pipe straighter(No bends or minimum) One have to change it a bit.

The correct adaptor plate for the Manual 5 speed will work perfect if you want manual, one can go for the 2.7 clutch kit and most important your flywheel HAVE TO BE CNC CUTTED EXACTLY!!!

I still think a 30-50mm body lift can make it an easy fitment without a sides in the engine compartment to be cut.

Mark, did you use a double cardian joint near the Transmission Flange? Is it an straight Prop? I think doing that will greatly reduce all the prop issues, I know it works on Scorpions Bakkie.

Normally you can still use the normal setup, just redo the prop with stronger universals.

Then ECU, Splittronics is always good for that. Then don't under estmate the Std Ecu with the 1UZ. Dicktator also good.

If you go 2UZ or 3UZ then only Std Ecu to be use with that.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:If you go 2UZ or 3UZ then only Std Ecu to be use with that.
Hi Louis - thanks for your very valuable contribution. Would you say that the 3UZ is a viable option in the old SFA? Will it not push up the price considerably? I have heard that the 2UZ is too heavy? (cast iron block?).

Cheers
Hugo.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Yes the 3UZ is lighter, head & block Ali casings. Also it is more common than the 2UZ. (Parts)

The pricing is about R38000 for the 2UZ and for the 3UZ it is R17500. Take note the 2UZ is only the engine & Ecu, the 3UZ it is the engine & Box, Ecu. One have to get the auto box, reason you use the Starter ring gear and the bellhousing from it. One can maybe sell the Auto box later off for let say R1000.

Otherwise the 3UZ the intake direction is perfect for the Airbox(Donaldson Filter), no need to change that, but remember the wide to narrow piping. I still try to work something out to get that right.( Busy with Scorpion). The Air Supply will be necessary if you need all the power and good performance and a bit better with Economy.

I think it is a good Engine if you want to spent more on a selection of the Motors(Lexus)
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Hi Mark
Het n "front clip gekoop(Peter Engines and all Hartbeespoortdam)Ek het my conversion self gedoen +- R30000. Auto box en Surf T case.Wonderlike voertuig.net een problem ek het die krag en GEBRUIK dit.Konsumpsie nie sleg nie so 7Km/L. Geniet jou Lux. Ek en Vaaltyn(1989 DC 4x4) loop soos torch en battries.Die Navarras ,Fords en Isuzus leef swaar en kry baie skaam!
Groete
Hansman en Vaaltyn :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Yes the 3UZ is lighter, head & block Ali casings. Also it is more common than the 2UZ. (Parts)

The pricing is about R38000 for the 2UZ and for the 3UZ it is R17500. Take note the 2UZ is only the engine & Ecu, the 3UZ it is the engine & Box, Ecu. One have to get the auto box, reason you use the Starter ring gear and the bellhousing from it. One can maybe sell the Auto box later off for let say R1000.

Otherwise the 3UZ the intake direction is perfect for the Airbox(Donaldson Filter), no need to change that, but remember the wide to narrow piping. I still try to work something out to get that right.( Busy with Scorpion). The Air Supply will be necessary if you need all the power and good performance and a bit better with Economy.

I think it is a good Engine if you want to spent more on a selection of the Motors(Lexus)
The 4litre 1UZ VVTi is making 216kW and 407N.m mated to a 5spd A/T. (Price = R 8500 ???)
The 4.3 litre 3UZ VVTi is making 216-224kW and 441 N.m mated to a 6spd A/T. (Price = R17500).

So you would prob pay about R8500 more for the 3UZ? Louis what you say? is it worth the extra bucks to go 3UZ?? At least you also get a 6 speed box as well?

With your experience with Scorpions van - is this conversion more complicated than a 1UZ?
2020 FJ Cruiser
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

hansman wrote:Hi Mark
Het n "front clip gekoop(Peter Engines and all Hartbeespoortdam)Ek het my conversion self gedoen +- R30000. Auto box en Surf T case.Wonderlike voertuig.net een problem ek het die krag en GEBRUIK dit.Konsumpsie nie sleg nie so 7Km/L. Geniet jou Lux. Ek en Vaaltyn(1989 DC 4x4) loop soos torch en battries.Die Navarras ,Fords en Isuzus leef swaar en kry baie skaam!
Groete
Hansman en Vaaltyn :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Lekker Hansman!! Wys bietjie fotos asb. Het jy die Toyota/Lexus ECU gebruik of aftermarket? Is jou rattekas auto of manual?
2020 FJ Cruiser
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by hansman »

Hi Hugo
Ek het 1UZ met sy oorspronklike auto box en ECU gebruik soos direk uit die front clip.Verkoeler engine mounts gearbox cooler steering pump cooler en so veel parte as wat ek kon gebruik.
Pieter by Paul Harties het my gehelp met transfer case uit n Surf. Shifter die gewone Lexus sn. Ek het +- 20000 Km gedoen sonder n probleempie dit is net klim en jaa :D: g.
Ek persoonlik dink die VVTI het te veel tierlanteintjies vir baie min ekstra krag, met 1UZ het mens al klaar "te veel vir hantering" en die problem ek gebriuk ALLES.
Ek sal fotos van my ou ombouing plaas.
Groete Hansman &Vaaltyn :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

hansman wrote:Hi Hugo
Ek het 1UZ met sy oorspronklike auto box en ECU gebruik soos direk uit die front clip.Verkoeler engine mounts gearbox cooler steering pump cooler en so veel parte as wat ek kon gebruik.
Pieter by Paul Harties het my gehelp met transfer case uit n Surf. Shifter die gewone Lexus sn. Ek het +- 20000 Km gedoen sonder n probleempie dit is net klim en jaa :D: g.
Ek persoonlik dink die VVTI het te veel tierlanteintjies vir baie min ekstra krag, met 1UZ het mens al klaar "te veel vir hantering" en die problem ek gebriuk ALLES.
Ek sal eendag graag bietjie na Vaaltyn wil kom kyk as jy nie omgee nie. :beg:
2020 FJ Cruiser
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by hansman »

Hello Hugo

Jy is soooooo welkom!!!!!
Hansman& Vaaltyn :yahoo: :yahoo:
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

hansman wrote:Hi Hugo
who did you get the engine from?
can one buy lexuses already with the lexus ECU?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

If it was my decision like Hansman said, with one difference I go for the 1UZ with the manual conversion with the std Ecu. One can get these for about R8000. The other option is to buy a prep engine from Lextreme for R18000 odd, your choice, the latter is ready to install, Ecu just need about 4-7 wires to be connected. Take note it is just the engine for the price, not all the rest.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

hi louis on the props not sure as it was done after it left the shop.

hugo , the normal 1uz is more than ample for the sfa lux , but in my opinion the auto is better , if you run with the manual ( the original box ) and you fit say 31's upwards you will eventually break the box , with the manual the revs are running at approx 3400 rpm at 120 whereas on the auto it runs at 2600 rpm at 120 , big difference and does affect the consumption. and towing is so much more relaxed and in the sand it is unbeatable ( proven it time and time again.)
and with the auto you know there is no issues with the bellhousing and clutch etc ,
and i just like the option of not changing gears ( perhaps the old age is kicking in )
granted you can use the original ecu but i just like the simplicity of the spits and less chance of dropping you somewhere , there was a write up on lextreme.com from a toy engineer about warning the guys that the original ecu on the motors can be 15 years and plus older and this is when caps and the like start failing .
but that said its your choice ,
the 50 - 60mm body lift as louis mentioned does help a lot with the installation , you do not have to cut a thing , you still use the original front sump , make up your own mounts , a trick for failsafe mountings is take the ford v6 ones heat up the washer both side to remove them then drill a 10 mm hole through then use one rubber at the top with the washers and one at the bottom and then use a m10 x 125mm high tensile bolt and go through the lot with a nylock or 2 nuts to lock , they will never break and we have used them like this on a few where i know the guys are rough with the bakkies and none have failed yet.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

hi hugo , went back in the thread a bit and some answers , you will be looking around 44k without the aircon ,
as for the thread link to the 4x4 com , interesting , as for the prado that was a matter of the cussie playing with settings on the motor and box after delivery and another few things that had nothing to do with the conversion and things got said to quick before having all the facts. ( but once said and posted difficult to take back , but that is the power of the internet for you )
but you cant win them all , i have an open door policy and anybody is welcome , as for the 80 we are busy sorting it out as everthing was fine even on the dyno and now all of a sudden its overheating but we will get to the bottom of it ( all the usual was checked even with an 80 that was right next to it in the shop with the same 3uz motor )
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

mark watson wrote:hi louis on the props not sure as it was done after it left the shop.

hugo , the normal 1uz is more than ample for the sfa lux , but in my opinion the auto is better , if you run with the manual ( the original box ) and you fit say 31's upwards you will eventually break the box , with the manual the revs are running at approx 3400 rpm at 120 whereas on the auto it runs at 2600 rpm at 120 , big difference and does affect the consumption. and towing is so much more relaxed and in the sand it is unbeatable ( proven it time and time again.)
and with the auto you know there is no issues with the bellhousing and clutch etc ,
and i just like the option of not changing gears ( perhaps the old age is kicking in )
granted you can use the original ecu but i just like the simplicity of the spits and less chance of dropping you somewhere , there was a write up on lextreme.com from a toy engineer about warning the guys that the original ecu on the motors can be 15 years and plus older and this is when caps and the like start failing .
but that said its your choice ,
the 50 - 60mm body lift as louis mentioned does help a lot with the installation , you do not have to cut a thing , you still use the original front sump , make up your own mounts , a trick for failsafe mountings is take the ford v6 ones heat up the washer both side to remove them then drill a 10 mm hole through then use one rubber at the top with the washers and one at the bottom and then use a m10 x 125mm high tensile bolt and go through the lot with a nylock or 2 nuts to lock , they will never break and we have used them like this on a few where i know the guys are rough with the bakkies and none have failed yet.
Hi Mark - thx for all your replies and info shared. That 44K surely sounds very tempting. What happens with the 4Y and the 5spd box? Any market for it at the moment?
2020 FJ Cruiser
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

What would a 50-60mm body lift entails and cost? Anybody knows?
2020 FJ Cruiser
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

the lift is not that much , about 2k with material and labour , the only thing is if an aftermarket bumper is fitted that must be worked in as you will have to lift that as well and rear bumper. another couple of grand.
as for the 4y and box , i am sure there will be takers out there. but the motor that comes out is yours to do with what you want.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

mark watson wrote:the lift is not that much , about 2k with material and labour , the only thing is if an aftermarket bumper is fitted that must be worked in as you will have to lift that as well and rear bumper. another couple of grand.
as for the 4y and box , i am sure there will be takers out there. but the motor that comes out is yours to do with what you want.
Mark does this bull bar and rear bumper count as "aftermarket" for purposes of the lift? Are you doing the lift as well?
Attachments
DSC_0825_SMALL.jpg
(122.28 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
2020 FJ Cruiser
d4dfanwp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: george
Vehicle: toyota d4d

Post by d4dfanwp »

hi guys i lve this topic i'm also busy with the lexus thing in my d4d any way my question who can do n body lift as down in george these guys are realy peloekas thanx martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

hugo first off very neat lux ,
ok i see you have the side steps , the front bumper , rear bumper and the side step brackets will have to be modified for the lift if we lift 50mm all those items will have to lift 50mm as well . not a train smash just extra work.
we normally do it when we do the conversion , but of course then we dont charge for it. it just makes lfe easier.
colin.jacobs
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by colin.jacobs »

Hi guys,
We’ve installed a 1UZ-VVTI in my SFA Hilux about a year ago. Standard Management with 5 speed auto. I’m as happy as a pig in sh..t with the conversion. :yahoo:
Still ‘building’ a post regarding all our adventures.
See attached pic of motor so long
Attachments
lux vvti.jpg
(165.6 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Nice remark on the Auto Option :D: , Depends on age. But also see the difference in consumption between auto and manual. I know Mark you will sort it out if you are given a chance.

Conversions sometimes take time and some has teeth especially if it is the 1st one or one that has a few new things to consider when deviating from the normal. These are usually very time consuming( check on the time it takes. Some of you that done it self, did you really work it out in man hours and recorded it?) and everything have to be triple checked, a type of a run in period also have to be done, this gives the installer to rectify any small problems. It can take up to 1000km or more sometimes.

Remember these engines are not new, so the preperations to it also count a great deal and anything can go wrong.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

totally agree louis ,
colin nice one looks very neat , just curious to what you did with the transfer and how far back is it compared to standard if you dont mind.

doing a gelandewagen at the moment but very neat layout as the transfer is completely seperate so we are going with the vvt and 5 speed with oem ecu.
colin.jacobs
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by colin.jacobs »

mark watson wrote:totally agree louis ,
colin nice one looks very neat , just curious to what you did with the transfer and how far back is it compared to standard if you dont mind.

doing a gelandewagen at the moment but very neat layout as the transfer is completely seperate so we are going with the vvt and 5 speed with oem ecu.
hi mark,
it moved back about 40 - 45 cm approx.
pleas see attached pic(sorry about the bad quality)
Attachments
transfer position.jpg
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mark watson »

thx colin , maybe a pic or 2 from underneath at a later stage , but many thx looks good
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

STAMP!

Enige nuus rondom Luxi??
Waar is die mooi Hilux heen?

:boss:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Janee ek wonder ook wats daar ani gang
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Ek wonder ook. Dink julle Luxi lê in 'n hoop as onder in 'n mynskag?
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Stamp.

:dash:

Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Where will a person be able to get figures, or do a comparison to which motor matted to which gearbox how far your transfer case will move back, creating a risk for you props?

I want to do a lexus conversion in an SFA with a 22R motor. Now I have to decide on which iteration, 1Uz/3Uz and then which auto box. I am hoping for the 3Uz with auto box, one of the prewired kits form Lextreme or V8Solid AFAIK they come with a box. So, how do you decide?
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

7 year old STAMP!

I would still want to know what happened with Luxi, and was it ever completed?

Anyone have the juicy inside story?
PM met the 7de Laan gossip!
:bye:

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”