Merc OM602 Engine into a SFA?

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Merc OM602 Engine into a SFA?

Post by krazy_kameleon »

I love the 5 cyl OM602 engine (used in Sprinter amongst many others)
has anyone ever put one of these into a 'Lux before?

excerpt from Wikipedia:
"The successor of the OM617 engine family was the newly developed straight-5 Diesel automobile engine OM602 from Mercedes-Benz used from 1980s up to 2002. With some Mercedes-Benz 250D/E250D diesels exceeding 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles, it's considered to be the one of the most reliable engines ever produced, a success which is only comparable with the famous OM617 engine"

If the straight six of the Supra fits then dimensionally I cant see why the 5pot wouldn't fit.

I was looking at fitting the mechanical version to replace my 3C-T

any comments? or suggestions?

Rick
krazy_kameleon

Re: Merc OM602 Engine into a SFA?

Post by krazy_kameleon »

from the number of views, I can see this is of some interest but the lack of replies points to 2 options:

1. this is a great new idea that nobody has tried
2. nobody has tried this because its a *a* idea

hmmm, I wonder...
Bijl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: `87 dc 4x4 Hilux (import)

Post by Bijl »

I think its a great idea!
But you will be the first therefore not many guys who will be able to help with the convertion.
How difficult can it get? Belhousing, radiator and engine mounts?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

krazy_kameleon wrote:from the number of views, I can see this is of some interest but the lack of replies points to 2 options:

1. this is a great new idea that nobody has tried
2. nobody has tried this because its a tjol idea

hmmm, I wonder...
Bijl wrote:I think its a great idea!
How difficult can it get? Belhousing, radiator and engine mounts?
Wrong... ECU needed to control the turbo boost and also the diesel pump is electronic. Personally... You buy a merc you pay in 1000's to fix anything on it.Also remember that the engine might be cheap but I can tell you now, that those engines need to be 100% sound or you will look like a LR with constant break downs.

I have spoken to a few fleet owners that runs both the SPrinters and Iveco's, and the Iveco beats the Merc to running costs and much more durable to abuse and much more reliable than the Mercs. Mercs are finiky vehicle's but notetheless a great drive.

Rather go for the KZTE route in your SFA as it has been done before and yes you can get the ecu and things also loose for the KZTE. Or if you feel like spalshing out, do a 3.0 D4D conversion on your SFA.
Johan Marais
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Thanks for the input Johan,

The version that I am looking at is fully mechanical. Dont want ECU's so the D4D is out of the question. also some have problematic injectors when bad fuel is used. I can run my 3C on SVO!
I currently run a 3C-T and the KZTE with mechanical pump conversion puts out the same power as my 3C with worse fuel consumption. Hence the Merc idea. and 5cyl can only be cool.

Not fixed on the idea yet, thats why I posted on the forum - to get others ideas on it

Thanks for the feedback everyone
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

anymore comments or opions on this, ...anyone?
Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

If you are looking for reliability, why then not the Ford Transit engine as used in the LR Puma?

They are used in Europe in a similar setup to the Iveco, and it seems that they are unbreakable. From what I understand, it is also a fairly simple engine without too much bells and whistles.....

Just a thought...
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

again any thing is possible!!

as for those motors, and here we differ as me referring to the ones in the sprinters!! presume the ones with the ECUs!!

the one company that we contract to has a whole fleet of them!!
and they get abused!! and I do mean abused!! and the motors do hold out pretty well!!

am not an expert, however though that the Ivico was the same motor as the Merc one!! again me not an expert!!
or is that they cross fit!!

then on the conversion!!
its the usual story!!
as you will be the 1st one to try it, could be a little more difficult to get help, however there are many on here who have done conversions of all types!!

can it be done!!! IMO!! yes!!
could be a great conversion, and you could be the 1st of many!!

as for the cost of spares its like any thing else!! once you start with a specific make,there will always be people telling you that its expensive!! however once you dig deeper one will almost always find a cheaper alternative for spares!! from Toyota to Ford to Jeep to Korean vehicles!!

hope you have lots of fun!! enjoy!! :beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
conversion man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 911 Carreara MB CL 500 MB 500SEC MB 450 SLC CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE CONVERTABLE SFA HILEX JEEP 5.2 V8 FORD RANGER LEXUS

Post by conversion man »

Rather go for aBT 4 CUMMINS if you want to spend that much effort and money on a DIESEL
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

BTW

The 602 engine is the same one that is fitted to all the Ssangyong Musso/Korandos that were initially brought to our shores. +/- 70Kw normally aspirated, mechanical diesel pump.

Only later did they replace it with the 662 that had turbo charging as standard. - I have a link for the service manual/specs for the 662 if you are interested.

There are differences seeing that the SSangyong engine was built "under Licenese" and in RSA Merc will not even try and support you with parts for the SS derivative.....
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Why not just get the 4x4 Sprinter or Iveco?
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu KB280LE 4x4 d/c

Post by Klong se Pa »

Go for it Rick!!

Have you got the motor allready, and if so, from which donor-vehicle did you get it? Is it n/a or turboed? From your other thread (Rokarok gets a makeover), I made the assumption that you are quite clued-up with these engines, and will know if it is sound or not, and if it do has problems, will be able to sort it yourself.

Yes, such a once off can be a headache, but if the owner has the skills, knowhow and time (money?) to sort things out himself, then why not? As long as it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, you would have quite an unique vehicle, therefore I would think the joy of the project will be so much more rewarding. I for one would love to have a diesel Merc-powered 'Lux, cause I grew up with 220D, 240D and 300D's. Man oh man, the sound of that 5-pot! Dad had a 1981 300D with Alpine-turbo, lend it to me (after I first had to wash and wax it) when I started vry-ing in the drive-inn era still. Imagine.......!!

Would like to book the first drive with the OM, Rick. Strongs, keep us posted plz!
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

I havn't got the motor yet but I will be looking for the 300D version with factory turbo set-up. They are tunable to 145HP with just IP optimisation.

Still recovering budget wise from the body overhaul.

But will keep all posted as to when I will be starting
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Post by PERS KERS »

Hoekom wil julle down grade na n diesel enjin toe ? jy wil nie die Hilux nog stadiger maak nie?
curre
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Frankfort
Vehicle: 96 Hilux dc 4x4

Post by curre »

Baie interresante ombouing, maar ek dink jou betroubaarheid gaan by die deur uitvlieg.
Nietemin hou ons op hoogte.
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

PERS KERS wrote:Hoekom wil julle down grade na n diesel enjin toe ? jy wil nie die Hilux nog stadiger maak nie?
Already got a 3C diesel installed - I recon the OM602 would be an upgrade on the 3C but time will tell...
some financial considerations have delayed this conversion so I am stuck with the 3C for the time being.
doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

Hi, ekself het ook die moontlikhede oorweeg, maar daar is 'n paar negtiewe kante.Die kraglewering van die std 602 soos in die SSang young is feitlik identies aan die Toy 5 L.'n Kompleet herbouing kos tussen 50-60 K. 'n Nuwe sump moet gebou word.Die oorspronklike is van alminuim met 'n dwars uitbouing wat in die weg van die voorste dryfas is. Die fan is off centre en druk teen die stuurkas. Die masjin is feitlik net so lank as die 3.0 cressida wat dinge bemoeilik. Die olie filter is agter links teen die masjin wat ook verskuif moet word. Dan moet jy nog 'n belhousing
ontwerp, want dit is nerens verkrygbaar nie. Niks is onmoontlik nie, maar vir al die effort met feitlik geen verbetering in kraglewering en soos genoem die hoe koste aan herbouing maak dit nie die moeite werd nie. Die ouens vervang juis die masjine met die Mazda 2.5 td weens die hoe herstelkoste van die 602
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Die merc enjins is goed tot jy parte nodig het, dis onbetaalbaar duur.
Die WL enjin is n beter opsie en sy kragkurwe pas perfek by die SFA se ratverhouding, hy is korter en ligter as n 5L en sy komponente sit aan die regte kante. Hy is ook goedkoop om te koop en te herstel en parte is vrylik beskikbaar.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Rick,

So n omboung is al gedoen. Nie seker oor watse enjin dit is nie, maar defenief nie net 70kw nie!!!!!
In Kakamas is n SFA met n 5cyl Merc enjin in en 35 duim tyers. Groot "King of The Dunes" sticker agter op!
Ek ken die oom baie goed, as jy wil drop my n PM dan stuur ek jou sy nommer. :thumbup:
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Ek het so twee weke gelede my Skoonpa se Kia K2700i met n lexus enjin gevat vir n diens by die ou wat die conversion gedoen het. Daar staan 5 Merc Sprinters wat die enjins vervang gaan word met die Lexus, weet nie of dit dieselfde Merc enjins is as die wat julle van praat nie. My gedagte is maar net, as hulle die Merc enjins ruil vir Lexus enjins dan kan daai Merc enjins nie te goedkoop wees om reg te maak nie.
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

BASTIAAN wrote:Rick,

So n omboung is al gedoen. Nie seker oor watse enjin dit is nie, maar defenief nie net 70kw nie!!!!!
In Kakamas is n SFA met n 5cyl Merc enjin in en 35 duim tyers. Groot "King of The Dunes" sticker agter op!
Ek ken die oom baie goed, as jy wil drop my n PM dan stuur ek jou sy nommer. :thumbup:
Thank you, when I am back in RSA I will drop you a PM :thumbup:
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

jacques kotze wrote:Ek het so twee weke gelede my Skoonpa se Kia K2700i met n lexus enjin gevat vir n diens by die ou wat die conversion gedoen het. Daar staan 5 Merc Sprinters wat die enjins vervang gaan word met die Lexus, weet nie of dit dieselfde Merc enjins is as die wat julle van praat nie. My gedagte is maar net, as hulle die Merc enjins ruil vir Lexus enjins dan kan daai Merc enjins nie te goedkoop wees om reg te maak nie.
Yes they are basically the same - the Sprinter uses an electronically controlled Injection pump though and if you want to avoid the use of control units (like I do) then you need to city the mechanical pump off of the older w123 Mercedes or early Ssang Yong.

The guys in Germany and Scandinavia get these motors to push out over 450Hp and 650Nm! the motor is good for 75Hp per cylinder without upgrading internals (Pump tuning and element/fuel upgrades only)
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: King Williamstown
Vehicle: HILUX SFA

Post by 4thGeer »

Hi I have a sfa lux busy with my convertion at the moment fitting a 5cylinder merc motor
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Hallo 4thgeer. Dis al 'n tydjie na jou laaste post. Het julle toe die 602 ingebou. Wou ook baie graag een insit maar kon net nie een kry nie. Toe maar die ingevoerde 2LII reg gemaak en terug gesit. Ek het nog die idee in my agterkop gebêre. Sal graag wil hoor wat julle toe gedoen het en hoe hy vaar. Brandstof gebruik en ek glo hy sal lekker trek en klim. Hoor graag van jou.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi there guys.I have been helping my son (4 th Geer) on the forum,to install a 300 d merc 5cyl engine into his sfa which originally had a 4y engine.

Yesterday we started the vehicle and he drove the sfa up and down the road to check the clutch and other issues and I am proud and happy to state that it is RUNNER.

My eldest son (third Geer) has completely stripped and rebuild the body and reprayed the cab and other body components.The roof lining and the mats have also been renewed.

We are now at an assembly stage and the project should be completed by the end of OCTOBER 2017.

We have taken many fotos of the project since the first day when we removed the origonal engine and started striping the hilux. I will humbly aproach Muddog (Andy) for his talented assistance to edit and load our pics and our rebuild story once the project has been completed to enable us to post this rebuild..

WATCH this space.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Congratulations. I can't wait to see the thread.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Glad to hear that it is running already. Looking forward to see what you guys have done.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”