1uz spitronics cold start

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
1uzhilux
Town: Perth
Vehicle: Hilux

1uz spitronics cold start

Post by 1uzhilux »

G'day,

I have a 1uz hilux surf running spitronics. I'm hoping that given spitronics is from SA that I might be able to get some expert advice.

Bit of back ground information: I did the conversion maybe 5 years ago. Originally I ran the stock 1uz ecu, then after issues with that i turned to spitronics.

Ive had the spitronics system in and running for about 2 years. The system has been dyno tuned and for the most part is ok. However the cold start is terrible and always has been. Recently I decided I want to resolve it 100% and make it more reliable.

I'm hoping that someone has sorted it and can please share with me their settings.

I'm happy to share my tune maps etc, none of it is perfect but it might help someone else or even serve as comparison while we tweak our tunes.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1uz spitronics cold start

Post by Mud Dog »

What model Spitronics ECU have you got?
Are you using a cold start valve and if so are you sure that it's working?
Does your HP fuel pump come on as soon as you turn the key to "ignition" without engaging the starter? (This would give you immediate pressure in the rail.)
What pressure is the fuel regulated to?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
1uzhilux

Post by 1uzhilux »

1996 1uz.

Mercury ecu, yes fuel pump is on with ignition on. Its about 45psi or so last I checked. cold start valve? As in the additional injector the earlier 1uzs had? my engine doesnt have that.

So I'm trying to figure out what start prime pulse, start enrichment, what idle control valve % for start, post start fuel compensation/water temp graph and where about timing should be for the start. I'm running fully sequential.

I have a few other tuning issues I wouldn't mind discussing later too but the cold start really has me annoyed.

Cheers
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I think the Mercury is an older generation ECU. Will do a few enquiries about cold start enrichment with that unit and no cold start valve and then come back to you. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
1uzhilux

Post by 1uzhilux »

Just checked mine is a "mercury 2"
Thanks
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

John, what I found out is that the cold start enrichment is controlled by the ECU through the injectors .... no cold start valve.

I'm also told that the most common issue is the cold temp reading that the sensor sends through to the ECU. Apparently it should read somewhere in the region of 20°C. You should be able to check this yourself with the software disk that came with your unit and installed onto a laptop hooked up to your ECU.

I would perhaps check directly with Spitronics on line (they are very helpful) what enrichment settings to use and in which temp range.

Bear in mind that your temp sensor for the ECU might be faulty or not be calibrated accurately enough and the values could be way off.

Hope that helps.

Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Hilux

Post by Harm JR. »

1uzhilux wrote:G'day,

I have a 1uz hilux surf running spitronics. I'm hoping that given spitronics is from SA that I might be able to get some expert advice.

Bit of back ground information: I did the conversion maybe 5 years ago. Originally I ran the stock 1uz ecu, then after issues with that i turned to spitronics.

Ive had the spitronics system in and running for about 2 years. The system has been dyno tuned and for the most part is ok. However the cold start is terrible and always has been. Recently I decided I want to resolve it 100% and make it more reliable.

I'm hoping that someone has sorted it and can please share with me their settings.

I'm happy to share my tune maps etc, none of it is perfect but it might help someone else or even serve as comparison while we tweak our tunes.

Thanks
Unfortunately I am of not much help because I'm still finding my way around my 1uz but if I may ask, could I possibly get the map you're running? I have mine on a base map and it's running extremely rich so I'd like to clean everything up. I do plan on dyno tuning but I've been so preoccupied with drivetrain and other repairs that I haven't had the chance. Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”