Fitting a DIY catch can on kzte

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC359

Fitting a DIY catch can on kzte

Post by Tristin »

Well after much consideration :D: I've finally decided to go about this route of fitting one. The kzte i own has 350k kilometers and I'm sure with this milage , fitting a catch can will only benefit it.
I started looking at the provent catch can aswell as some other name brands and nothing was under 3k.The price of these didn't make sense, especially for something my vehicle has never had for 350k kilometers, nor came out with from factory.
I did some research on some DIY cans but the build ideas and methods weren't helping , nor did it look like they were going to work. :blink:
I started looking around town and to my surpise found a catch can, that didn't look to bad and the size for where I wanted to fit one.I paid R500 for it but knew I was going to spend time modifying it to work.
I removed the see threw pipe and fittings on the side of it as it wasn't going to fit or see it where i wanted to bolt it down .I had some aluminum flat bar i made up to fit the existing holes in the tank , aswell as tapped new threads to line up the existing holes in the wheel arch.
The inlet had to modified to fit another tail piece on the inside of the can, so I could fit a rubber pipe to get to the bottom of the can. I found some really fine stainless steel mesh that I'm going to use as a filter for the vapours.
Attachments
20201102_220420.jpg
20201102_220342.jpg
(33.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20201102_220437.jpg
20201102_220506.jpg
(27.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20201102_220520.jpg
(27.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20201102_220536.jpg
(24.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG-20201031-WA0007.jpg
(21.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fitting a DIY catch can on kzte

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool Tristin! let us know how well it works when you're done. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by GMan »

Dafaaq is a catchcan?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

GMan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:47 am Dafaaq is a catchcan?
On old motors it's worse, but even on new motors there is always a little blow-by on the piston rings resulting in positive crankcase pressure. This has to be relieved, so that's why there is a crankcase breather that leads those gasses off from behind a baffle plate in the top of the tappet cover (the baffle plate helps prevent oil getting into the breather), and directs it into the intake manifold where it goes through the motor and any oil is burned off.

With a turbo, the ventilation has to obviously enter the intake before the turbo otherwise the turbo would pressurise the crankcase. This means that the crank gasses and any oil that may be carried with it passes through the turbo which tends to build up gunk on the vanes as well as on the inside of the inlet between the turbo and where the vent enters the intake. This is a bit worse in diesels than petrol motors because diesel burns much dirtier with more soot deposits. On normally aspirated petrol motors there is no problem because the fuel is introduced before the vent and the deposits are "washed" away immediately.

So, what a catch can does is to intercept the ventilation gasses, passing them through a chamber with more baffle plates which collects most of any oil being carried. Such oil collects in the bottom of the catch can and can be drained off whenever necessary.

Hope that explains it. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by GMan »

Thanx, it is a little clearer now. I will have to reread that again, but I am catching your drift. Your patience is appreciated.👍
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC359

Post by Tristin »

Evening gents
I finally managed to get the catch can in tonight and install it.The stainless steel mesh for my initial plan didn't go to plan, as the mesh started to unravel itself while cleaning it and i was not going to take a chance.I found some hard plastic mesh that was a safer and will not pull apart , so I added 2 layers of it and over lapped it with each other to make the gaps closer. FYI the the tappet cover breather and the inlet on the intake is 14mm not 12 :mocking:
Attachments
20201110_204508.jpg
20201110_204454.jpg
20201110_204439.jpg
20201110_204540.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Return to “General Mods”