Lift kit, Yes or No, to fit 33" tyres

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Leverage 2020
Town: Taupo
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Hilux SR5 Cruiser

Lift kit, Yes or No, to fit 33" tyres

Post by Leverage 2020 »

Hi All
I want to fit a set of 33" AT tyres on my 2020 Toyota Hilux SR5.
Can I get away with not lifting my truck or would I definitely need to fit the truck with a 2" lift kit for clearance?
Cheers!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Lift kit, Yes or No, to fit 33" tyres

Post by Mud Dog »

Hello and welcome Norman! :thumbup:

I don't believe that you're going to get 33's to fit without some serious modifications, especially to the front. The wheel wells just don't look big enough. A 2" lift may just be a drop in the ocean.

The standard front bumper is almost certainly going to foul and would need to be replaced with an after market unit that gives more wheel clearance. I'm also thinking that you would have to do a body lift as well as a suspension lift .... maybe even a 4" suspension lift with a diff drop.

Then there are other issues like drive-train strain and re-gearing of the diffs. In the end you have to ask if it's worth it. If it's just for looks, then hell no. If you're a serious off-roader, and you have enough resources, then maybe. If you want to create a competition vehicle I would rather look for an old SFA.

The big question is, what are you trying to achieve?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Leverage 2020

Post by Leverage 2020 »

Kia Ora Mud Dog

Thanks for your great advice. I'm definitely looking to fit an after market protection bump, even more so now after what you were saying about needing clearance in the front.

To answer your question: From my understanding, the only way to get more clearance from the lowest point under the trucks, was to get bigger tyres.
That's why I'm looking at the bigger tyre as an option.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Hi Norman, there might be another way to get clearance, if you have loads of cash. I take it you're in NZ? Your neighbours, the Aussies, have a retrofit portal that fits a cruizer axle. Maybe this is worth looking into, maybe there is one available for your vehicle
Cruiser on Portals 3.jpg
Cruiser on Portals 2.jpg
Leverage 2020

Post by Leverage 2020 »

Kia Ora Dax021

That's awesome! I'll definitely do my research on that.
Have you got a link or direct me to a website where you got those pictures from?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Overlooking the expense, portal axles would be the best option but for the front you would probably have to do a SAS (Solid Axle Swop) if they don't make a portal for the independent front suspension. If you can get it right, it will give you a meaningful lift that improves diff clearance, approach / departure / break-over angles and will allow for bigger diameter tyres ...maybe not 33's but 32".

Prepare to raid the bank and endless flack if you're married. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Norman, I think I got those pictures from this forum a long time ago. They were definitely an Australian thing. Maybe just search portal axles and hilux (or cruizer, to find those exact pics). I'm pretty sure they will cost an arm and a leg though. What does Kia Ora mean? I'm guessing it's good day. Here in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa, where I live, there is Kiwi owned carpentry business, making some stunning doors, frames etc., which goes by the name Kia Ora. Just as a by and by, my sister lives in Christchurch
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Kia ora (Maori) = Be safe (often used as a greeting). :winkx:

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Ah, thanks Andy. Pretty appropriate greeting under present circumstances

Return to “General Mods”