Universal Supercharger?

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Universal Supercharger?

Post by pietpetoors »

Do you think something like this can work as a super charger?

It has a gearbox which drives the turbo faster than the input. Seems like the input/output ratio is 1:20, which seems a bit fast to me.
Compressor ratio:1.5-1.8
Supercharger
Supercharger
turbo-supercharger.JPG (11.76 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Universal Supercharger?

Post by Thabogrobler »

As dit betroubaar kan werk, sal dit 'n baie nice party trick wees!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ek dink nogal omdat hy nie daai vreeslike hitte van gewone turbo het kan hy meer effektief wees en langer hou, vraag is net of n 1:20 ratkas lank gaan hou, maar ek hou van die idee
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I think I share the same concerns as you Pieter. It looks a bit under-engineered to me. I suspect that its making use of a planetary gear system in that small box with central input. It's a good engineering principle and works beautifully for step down gearing (winches use the planetary gear system), but for step up gearing it's going to work a lot harder. That's why I am a bit wary of it's reliability.

Then I'm also not too sure what kind of compression ratio's one would get with a conventional super and how well this one compares, particularly in the higher rev range.

What diameter is the airflow pipe? If it's smaller than your standard air intake, you're going to loose a lot of that compression where the pipe volume steps up. Hmmmmm .... food for thought. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Hy gaan nogsteeds warm word. Nie so warm soos 'n turbo nie. As jy lug saampers word dit warm.
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

i recently watched a video comparing the torque of petrol vs diesel.
It mentioned the turbo put on diesel and how the higher ignition temp of the lean fuel ratio that diesel run at, the engine is designed to handle the higher temps.

So if you stick this / or any aftermarket turbo on an engine, especially petrol, who is not designed to deal with higher temp, is it not going to bugger up that engine pretty quick?
My thought is, compressing air into engine changes the fuel/air ratio, making it leaner and thus run higher temp ???
And if engine not designed for it... pop goes the weasel?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Don't know either, but I think on petrol it is different. If you force in more air the air flow meter reads more air and will give more fuel to keep the mixture correct. So it will not run lean. As for higher compression that can damage your engine yes. But for non turbo engines they just boost at a low pressure.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My take on it is this ..... with a super you have positive pressure in the intake rather than negative (vacuum), so yes, airflow will register a a little higher. However there is still the additional available oxygen in the more dense air taken in by the motor, so the AFR will also be affected a bit (leaner). I don't think that the difference will be that significant that one has to re-calibrate the map to avoid burning valves (I might be wrong), but I think that it should be checked on a dyno with an AFR meter connected.

If it needs adjustment for optimum efficiency, how does one achieve this with an OEM ECU besides chipping it? And then, most OEM EFI systems nowadays have an AFR integrated with the ECU already. In such case will the ECU not compensate automatically?

Compression will also be a bit higher but I think that a standard motor will be able to handle it without a problem.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Mods”