Fridge + Securi-Lid :( No Space

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Fridge + Securi-Lid :( No Space

Post by Giovann »

Hi Guy,

Was on my way to pick a National Luna 50l Fridge :thumbdown: but had to walk away empty handed cause the fridge is to big(height) to fit in the load bin with my securi-lid :thumbdown:

I've got around 430mm of space with the securi-lid and the online search looks bleak with most of the popular fridges going well over 500mm in height. Has anyone with a securi-lid managed to get around this or know of a decent fridge that I can fit in that gap.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Fridge + Securi-Lid :( No Space

Post by ChrisF »

Metalion had to re-design their one trailer as the new NL 60 liter no longer fits ...

seems industry is following the ever bigger trend ...
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

The ARB 60l looks like to could be a perfect fit coming in @ 428(H)x450(W)x845(L)...
http://www.arb.com.au/products/fridges- ... -freezers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I cant find pricing for it or any one who stocks them in Cape Town. I thought 4x4 MegaWorld hadbut it looks like they not selling it anymore.

They have an engel 32 that will fit, but its expensive for such a small fridge.
http://www.4x4megaworld.co.za/product/engel-32-litre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

I stand corrected Mega World has the ARB 60l but it costs the price of a small farm :(
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Can you not perhaps fit a spacer between the load bin and the lid unit? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Mud Dog wrote:Can you not perhaps fit a spacer between the load bin and the lid unit? :think:
It would have to be quite a big spacer, most of the fridges are quite high.

I managed to get hold of the ARB 60l, not a bad fridge quite spacious and its a perfect fit.

I was advised by the sales person not to keep the fridge off for long periods of time, he reckons that I should keep it running even if its outside of the double cab. Is this generally good advise? Do you guys keep your compressors running all the time?
Attachments
Fridge.jpg
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

Giovann wrote: I was advised by the sales person not to keep the fridge off for long periods of time, he reckons that I should keep it running even if its outside of the double cab. Is this generally good advise? Do you guys keep your compressors running all the time?
That's news to me!

Mine's stored away between camping trips and sometimes doesn't run for up to 9 months.

I wonder why he said that?

Rich :cooldude:
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Dadz Toy wrote:
Giovann wrote: I was advised by the sales person not to keep the fridge off for long periods of time, he reckons that I should keep it running even if its outside of the double cab. Is this generally good advise? Do you guys keep your compressors running all the time?
That's news to me!

Mine's stored away between camping trips and sometimes doesn't run for up to 9 months.

I wonder why he said that?

Something about the compressor being meant/able to run in this manner.... The manufacturers manual doesn't say anything about that, but I've heard seen some posts about guys recommending a similar course of action.

I wonder if keeping it running all the time will actually damage the compressor... :cooldude: my six packs fit nicely
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

just make sure the lid is slightly open during long storage.

NO issue with leaving it off for months on end.

These compressors are submerged in an oil bath, thus immediate lubrication when it finally starts up again.

With VEHICLE ac compressors the shaft seal NEEDS the compressor to run at regular intervals, ie once every 2 weeks, to keep oil splashing onto the gas seal on the shaft. THIS is where 99% of gas leaks in vehicles occur.

and so the story grew a tail and now people believe all ac units must run regularly .....

Vehicles - YES, run it OFTEN

other units, ie these fridges - NO, no need to run it between trips. Just keep that lid slightly open so the unit can breath and stay fresh.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

+1

No need to put unnecessary wear on the unit. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Mods”