Hilux Double Ramp Over Issues

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Hilux Double Ramp Over Issues

Post by Giovann »

Ok my crappy ramp over angle my Hilux D/C is starting to get to me, It seems I'm scraping everywhere these day!

I'm looking at swopping out my running boards out for rock sliders before I seriously damage them, is there any thing else I can do help with this angle?

Whats the most cost effect way of getting my body high enough of the ground to clear acute hill and other obstacles, as mentioned my main concern is the ramp over angle. Don't want to fork out a fortune for full suspension kits.

Will the lift kit/spacers affect handling, alignment and ride quality in anyway?
Also are there any legal issues with these kinds of mods, or saps just look the other way?
And can you use a hi lift hack on your rock sliders?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux Double Ramp Over Issues

Post by Mud Dog »

To lift the ride height (within safe limits) is your main issue and to do this properly is going to cost a few Rands, but well worth it. You can also improve it a bit further by fitting bigger diameter tyres, however, depending on the tyre size you're going to run into some fender ' wheel well issues and maybe even drive-train issues in extreme cases.

Those alu side-steps are definitely no good in off-road situations, rather flog them off before they are too badly damaged and put the money towards a decent set of sliders. Properly mounted / fixed sliders can be used to lift the vehicle - if there are jack points built into the slider that are suitable for a 'high-lift', you can use one. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Ironman suspension WORKED for us.

is the van loaded when it scrapes ? The standard suspension saggs a LOT under lot, serious reducing the clearance height !
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Mud Dog wrote:To lift the ride height (within safe limits) is your main issue and to do this properly is going to cost a few Rands, but well worth it. You can also improve it a bit further by fitting bigger diameter tyres, however, depending on the tyre size you're going to run into some fender ' wheel well issues and maybe even drive-train issues in extreme cases.

Those alu side-steps are definitely no good in off-road situations, rather flog them off before they are too badly damaged and put the money towards a decent set of sliders. Properly mounted / fixed sliders can be used to lift the vehicle - if there are jack points built into the slider that are suitable for a 'high-lift', you can use one. :winkx:

Does this mean that quick wins like strut spacers and things like that are out of the question?

What can I expect to pay for good rock sliders and do you have recommendations for local suppliers in Cape Town?
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

ChrisF wrote:Ironman suspension WORKED for us.

is the van loaded when it scrapes ? The standard suspension saggs a LOT under lot, serious reducing the clearance height !
No load, the cab is just too long. So its scrape over any sudden change in elevation
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Strut spacers can work but I think that 30mm is the most you can do otherwise the half-shaft angles become too acute for the CV's unless you do a diff drop.

There are quite a few guys in your area that will make up sliders for you. You can try Gomad or perhaps someone down there can make alternate suggestions.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Mud Dog wrote:Strut spacers can work but I think that 30mm is the most you can do otherwise the half-shaft angles become too acute for the CV's unless you do a diff drop.

There are quite a few guys in your area that will make up sliders for you. You can try Gomad or perhaps someone down there can make alternate suggestions.
And they will no adverse affects on handling or ride quality hey?

Do you normally have to put them in front and back?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

There should be no significant adverse effects although you might experience a slightly different 'feel' in it's handling but you get used to that quickly.

Spacers in front and replacement packs in the rear. I'm not fond of using spacer blocks with leaf springs. Extended shackles in the back help a little but in order to get any real lift you have to extend them quite far and this definitely affects handling and safety adversely.

Speak to Mikem suspensions (very helpful with excellent service) and get comparative quotes from OME (Old Man Emu), Ironman and EFS. That should put you in a position to make an informed decision. :winkx:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I dont like the "packs" / "shims" ....

YEs it raises the vehicle, but shortens the shock travel ....

Pay up and get a suspension worthy of your bakkie, that will ADD to your off road experience.

maar dis mos maklik om n ander man se geld te spandeer ...
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Mud Dog wrote:There should be no significant adverse effects although you might experience a slightly different 'feel' in it's handling but you get used to that quickly.

Spacers in front and replacement packs in the rear. I'm not fond of using spacer blocks with leaf springs. Extended shackles in the back help a little but in order to get any real lift you have to extend them quite far and this definitely affects handling and safety adversely.

Speak to Mikem suspensions (very helpful with excellent service) and get comparative quotes from OME (Old Man Emu), Ironman and EFS. That should put you in a position to make an informed decision. :winkx:
:thumbup: thanks for the info, think I will just go with the rock sliders for now, that should give me some peace of mind... Not really prepared to suffer for doing half mods and would like to keep the car as standard as possible. Thought I could safely do a all round spacer lift and just take it off if I decide to sell at later stage.

On side note, will I have to look at suspension if start thinking about steel bumpers at a later stage? Approach angle is not that great either :mocking:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Do yourself a favour and go to Johan Tires at First Allignment Centre. He now also has a 4x4 fitment centre just accross the road.

He KNOWS his stuff. And he WILL ask you a range of questions relating to what you have now, and what you are planning - to make sure the correct system goes onto your vehicle.

He will then ask you bring back the vehicle after fitment for a follow up measurement to make sure it is level and all sorted.

He did the suspension and snorkel on Elders. :) VERY happy with his workmanship !
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Do the suspension. It will lift the Hilux at least 2". If you do the suspension you have no need for "spacers"... Then fit one size bigger tyres, that should help a bit more. Depending on where you get rock sliders you might end up being worse off, rather than better. Some guys build those things purely for looks. I have Gomad4x4's Sliders on, I helped with the design of them, and they are 100%.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “General Mods”