Snorkel Regrets?

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Snorkel Regrets?

Post by the BuTch3R »

There is plenty to read about the benefits of fitting a snorkel. But I'd like to hear if there is anyone out there that regrets having fitted one. What are the potential pitfalls?

And to be fair, lets exclude cases where issues where as a result of poor workmanship or an inferior quality product.

Let's hear it....
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Snorkel Regrets?

Post by zepplin »

My cruiser has quite a bit more engine noise since fitting it. More induction noise really with window open as the intake is driver's side.

I've gotten to quite like it though.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

I have one on my Vigo, no regrets, but to be honest, wouldn't miss it either if it were to be removed.

I bought my vehicle with the snorkel fitted, so I had no 'before and after' experience.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No regrets. Some guys on the odd occasion might mention stuff like wind noise, but I never had any - I suppose that if there were it would be understandable, and the presence and intensity might vary from one instance to the next depending on how the airflow is affected by each individual fitment and vehicle type.

When evaluating the benefits, one should bear in mind that any improvement to performance may so small that it's not noticeable, but the science still makes sense - colder air is more dense, therefore a slightly higher amount of oxygen available for better combustion, slightly higher compression, both of which will result in slighter better performance (or economy, depending on how heavy your right foot is).
A noticeable benefit is how much longer the filter remains clean, especially if you frequent dirt roads or dusty conditions. This saves you element replacement in the long term as well as saves the motor a bit by keeping more fine dust out of the equation (the filter elements do not keep every single particle from passing through - not even the best quality elements).

Lower down on the reality list for most of us, is water crossings. How many of us actually do deeper crossings - very few, but it's there for peace of mind that if ever you find yourself in a situation where you have to cross deeper water.

And then of course, there's the aesthetics of it - it looks cool. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

I had a really irritating whistling wind noise after fitting mine. Found it to be the air moving in between the grate and the snorkel body. Some black electrical tape closed the gaps and all was quiet again. No regrets.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

No regrets, actually glad, noticed a huge difference regarding the air filter. Much less dust.
The only regret I've heard of, is if the body is not treated correctly after the wholes have been drilled, panels start to rust.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

No regrets..........definitely keeps my air filter cleaner much longer. No wind noise love it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

No wind noise at all.............then again I never go fast enough to generate wind noise :lmao: :lmao:

Very happy with my decision :thumbup: :thumbup:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

My Vigo 3.0 D4D, the engine seems to be more quiet, even when under a bit of labour. Maybe my imagination or it could be that the engine is performing better with the cooler air rammed down its throat or that the old intake is no longer in the wheel well. I have also seen a slight improvement on the average KM / L display.
Very happy with mine.
corne.koekemoer.39
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by corne.koekemoer.39 »

I have mine fitted for n month or so and I love it. With no cats and free flow it allows the 4L to breathe freely. Just one question, drove through a big storm this weekend. How will water affect the filter. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

On Swambo's fortuner there are a improvement in performance and the airfilter cleaner between service intervals.

I have notices a slight wind noice when the driver window opened.

I just love the induction/suction noice under hard acceleration8-)
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

zepplin wrote:My cruiser has quite a bit more engine noise since fitting it. More induction noise really with window open as the intake is driver's side.

I've gotten to quite like it though.
had mine for more than 50 000 km.

NO regrets

Would I fit it on my next vehicle ... probably not ... BUT, then I would be chewing the seat with each water crossing ... and fit one again in a flash !! We dont look for water crossings, but have on a number of travels been confronted with a water crossing. NOT convinced an intake just above the front wheel is safe enough.

PS - I have an "expensive" Ironman" snorkel. Checked a few times - comes from the SAME mold as the unit sold by 4x4Direct !!!
mossie89
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 4.0 v6

Post by mossie89 »

Kevin daai 2.4D kan mos nie spoed maak nie, hoe bedoel jy geen wind geraas nie :laugh2: :laugh2:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

mossie89 wrote:Kevin daai 2.4D kan mos nie spoed maak nie, hoe bedoel jy geen wind geraas nie :laugh2: :laugh2:
Dit is dan wat ek gese het in ENGLISH :banned:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

corne.koekemoer.39 wrote:I have mine fitted for n month or so and I love it. With no cats and free flow it allows the 4L to breathe freely. Just one question, drove thr[*]ough a big storm this weekend. How will water affect the filter. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nothing to be concerned about, Corne'.

The first line of defence is the vents at the base of the snorkel-head itself. Droplets entering the snorkel head are flung against the rear wall of the first band and dispelled at the vents. Of course this won't even closely catch it all but the remaining droplets have quite a distance to go, through three or four more bends before they reach the air-box. I would imagine by that time there will be very little airborne water.

The air-box makes use of a cyclone as well as the actual element to filter, and water being heavier than the air itself is flung to the sides, (accumulating at the bottom if there is enough of it) and then finding it's way out through the little rubber clack valve in the bottom of the air-box.

I further imagine that very little moisture will even come into contact with the element itself with a light or short-lived shower, but let's assume that the shower is severe and of longer duration. I have no doubt that the element will get wet, and that some fine water mist may even make it through to the motor. What a pleasure! Inducing water vapour into inlets has for decades proved to enhance performance and fuel economy.

As for the filter element itself, well they are surely designed to withstand it, within limits of reasonable saturation of course. Take for example a standard intake in the area behind the headlight or in the fender ..... if one thinks that those areas are completely protected from spray mist, I think they are mistaken. Consider also that there is a much shorter distance in the standard intake between entry point and the air-box.

All things considered, unless I am horribly mistaken, I would rather go with the snorkel than standard intake. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
grips
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: kathu
Vehicle: 347 Ranger v8 Ranger 302 v8 Nissan Patrol 302 v8

Post by grips »

Other than a cold intake and a help in deep water crossings I do not believe there are other true benefits in snorkels.

You can scan the web as you like and you will not find any scientific experiments done one snorkels in controlled environments.

Being an aid in water crossings stuff like electronic accessories and control ECU`s will decide wade depth.

I have an idea to support my view of dust intake which I will run soon on a vehicle with two intakes simultaneously one at snorkel height and the other in OEM air intake position.

There are dyno results on the web showing power loss due to longer intake distance. The positive pressure argument going for a loop.

I can see snorkels aid an old mechanical diesel pump engine with zero electronics in water crossings but new generation engines I doubt.

But then if you like the looks of a snorkel and believe in its benefits fit it, after all it is your money.

Return to “General Mods”