Mods illegal?

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Mods illegal?

Post by dalkill »

You guys may have heard of the traffic dept pulling over the modified cars in CT ... trying to eradicate the street racers.

SO they now have given their minion power to rip off you licence disk and thus you forced to go for roadworthy again.
Apparently they targetting the lowered vehicles mostly as these are always the prime suspects for street racers.
However, there is no clear definition of what is an illegal mod.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry- ... MpEq2LhhZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So according to this , i am now illegal. I drive stock standard 130 corolla but with 15" mag. Everthing mechanically is stock standard, just added mags. Does this make me street racer and thus vulnerable to the cops pulling me over and removing my licence disk?

If so, then most on this forum is illegal as well.
If you vehicle came with 245's, and now you have 265's... illegal.
If you vehicle came with HT, and now you have AT ... illegal.
If you do no have toyota coolent... illegal.

It is just rediculous... and so typical of authorities in SA... ostrich mentality. If you can't control it, we ban everything.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Mods illegal?

Post by ChrisF »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also see my second last post - 7 out of 400 cars impounded .....

and NO, this is NOT "so typical of authorities in SA... ostrich mentality. If you can't control it, we ban everything"

It is Cape Town, and some laws are still implemented.

Street racing KILLS, and cars SHOULD be confiscated !!

Law abiding people should NOT have to fear for their lives because of blithering idiots that are to flippen useless to go to Killarney to scratch an itch .....

THANKS to the cops for TRYING to keep the roads safe.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I think nobody knows how they will define what is right and what is wrong.

If fittings mags is wrong, then TSW can close their doors because then they sell illegal goods every day of their business day.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Then you are also an accessory in the illegal modding game Pieter :lmao: :lmao:
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

Post by Wurmscooby »

pietpetoors wrote:I think nobody knows how they will define what is right and what is wrong.

If fittings mags is wrong, then TSW can close their doors because then they sell illegal goods every day of their business day.
+1 then creates more unemployment
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wurmscooby »

4x4BEES wrote:Then you are also an accessory in the illegal modding game Pieter :lmao: :lmao:
:lmao: ek het ook daaraan gedink maar wou niks se nie.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

They are trying to get very dangerous vehicles of the road. Like Chris said.
This is not about bureaucracy or someone having a bee in their bonnet. So yes if your vehicle is so modified that it is a risk to other road users than they can take your license disk.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

The whole thing is hair brained. They claim they want to stop the street racing - so blokes with standard cars don't race? Idiotic in my opinion
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

When I had my kz chipped at kosie swanepoel, there was a honda ballade there too. It was clearly used for street racing. It was pissing atf all over the place and the new recaro racing seats were fastened to the rails with cable ties. It was death on wheels. BUT the owner just put down R2k to have it remapped on the dyno. :blink:

You see the problem above. Safety quickly gets sacrificed in exchange for more speed. The deathtrap wasn't allowed on the dyno. :siffler:

I'm not in favour of what the authorities are doing. But I'm stating that the need for adequate policing exists.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

kenskind wrote:When I had my kz chipped at kosie swanepoel, there was a honda ballade there too. It was clearly used for street racing. It was pissing atf all over the place and the new recaro racing seats were fastened to the rails with cable ties. It was death on wheels. BUT the owner just put down R2k to have it remapped on the dyno. :blink:

You see the problem above. Safety quickly gets sacrificed in exchange for more speed. The deathtrap wasn't allowed on the dyno. :siffler:

I'm not in favour of what the authorities are doing. But I'm stating that the need for adequate policing exists.

THIS is what it is about ! (at least we can only hope so ..)

I have personally seen some of these "race cars" - the main "beams" under the chassis were rusted GONE !! This thing was ready to litterally fall appart - but PowerFlow was told to put on a racing set of free flow and branches .... :shock2: :thumbdown:

I stand in awe at people like Dodging that spends to much time and resources to do it PROPERLY. Those following the Western Cape racing might know Claude Justice - I spend some time at his house and KNOW what he puts into his cars - exactly like Dodging.

Then you get a whole industry of people that fit "look good" bits.

and then you get the hard core midnight racers ... THIS is a totally different breed !! I know the local cops went to great lengths to get this crowd to bring their game to the Wingfield landing strip. As it was now semi organised scrutineering had to be added - THIS immediately meant these problem racers (the one with death traps on wheels) just carried on with illegal racing.

The cops kept on punting the Wingfield exercise. after a month or two it all ended when some participants had an "altercation" that ended in some gun fire !!

Thus the cops HAVE tried it the nice way. They can now act like some of their up-country counterparts and just do nothing .... OR they can hold some more road blocks and remove the death traps from the road.

talk about a thankless task - when even the good guys dont want to back the cops ...

PS - NO I am not a cop, nor have family that are cops :tease: Just sick and tired of law less scum that want to mess up our good country. Thus I DO support our cops when they TRY enforce the laws.
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Din't get me wrong - the fact that they want to get rid of the street racers is brilliant, I just think they are going about it the wrong way.

Let's say I drive a car with 16 inch wheels. Tyres cost way more than than 17's, so I opt to get new wheels and fit safe new tyres. Licence disk gone

Oh, you put fuel injection on your car when it came standard with a carb? Licence disk gone

Lexus V8? Licence disk gone

Lowered your platkar so it doesn't look like a 4x4 using top quality springs? Licence disk gone

If they want to catch the racers, they must get off their lazy butts and start working when these guys race. Go out and find them, catch them in the act and arrest them. Confiscate and burn their cars. That is how you target them, not by making every single person on the road suffer

Personally I can't stand these street racers - they think they are living a movie
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Dodging wrote:Din't get me wrong - the fact that they want to get rid of the street racers is brilliant, I just think they are going about it the wrong way.

Let's say I drive a car with 16 inch wheels. Tyres cost way more than than 17's, so I opt to get new wheels and fit safe new tyres. Licence disk gone

Oh, you put fuel injection on your car when it came standard with a carb? Licence disk gone

Lexus V8? Licence disk gone

Lowered your platkar so it doesn't look like a 4x4 using top quality springs? Licence disk gone

If they want to catch the racers, they must get off their lazy butts and start working when these guys race. Go out and find them, catch them in the act and arrest them. Confiscate and burn their cars. That is how you target them, not by making every single person on the road suffer

Personally I can't stand these street racers - they think they are living a movie
I agree fully :thumbup: :thumbup: . We're not debating here that street racing is bad, we're talking about the fact that if they implement those laws then all of us in this club with any mods on their 4x4's are at risk of having to put their vehicles through roadworthy again.

Now that's not on. The whole after market automotive industry could be negatively impacted. Imagine a small business having to close it's doors because they are not allowed to build 4x4 bumpers anymore, or fit extra fuel tanks...

It's just absurd that they have this sort of mentality to enforce a law that impact way more people than the actual street racing culprits. Where are the traffic officers at the racing hot spots at night? Why do they not enforce way more stringent laws on racing and reckless driving?

In my mind they are just going about this the complete wrong way. Why not, like in the UK and elsewhere, they enforce that each car must go for a roadworthy at least every 5 years? Once a culprit was caught, his car (all the cars in his name) must go every year for roadworthy.

Coming from goverment, it's most like just another big money making scheme.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Wurmscooby »

Exactly my point.i have been to these racers.believe me the cops is always there to intervene.but they go to another hotspot and so on.so like i mentioned they doing it the wrong way.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I agree there is no place on a public road for street races, but if you look at the bigger picture. The metro could do much more by targeting the main cause of accidents and deaths on the road. Cars that is not road worthy! I.E taxis, trucks, bakkies. And getting drivers of the road that does not have PDP or the correct license, and bakkies transporting people on the back, just this week there was a report of a bakkie that rolled and left 4 children dead, AND 18 seriously injured!!!

As usual they are very keen on coming up with new initiatives, but fail in implementing it over the long run.

And lastly, please can they impound these guys driving on the road, mostly peak hour, with a freaking TLB!!!! :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

PS, is it a good idea for DSTV to put a show on about guys that do illegal street racing?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

QUESTION - so HOW do propose the cops "deal with it" ?

regular roadworthys may sound good now ... but I will bet a case of good stuff, their will be an outcry: "They just want to make money"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I gave this some thought; (I allow myself to think once a week)

The problem is street racing, not modified cars.

The bloke with his stock standard Hyandui Getz doing 160 (of which it is capable of doing) in a crowded 60 zone is just as likely to kill people as the bloke with a highly modified street racer.

Actually the bloke in a stock standard Getz is more likely to kill people than the guy with a proper highly modified street racer with disc brakes all round, bigger disc, bigger calipers, upgraded suspension for better handling in emergency situation, etc , etc , etc.

Another point is that a 100% original, badly maintained, un-roadworthy vehicle, is far more dangerous than a highly modified, spotless, well maintained, road worthy street racer.

The problem is not the mods. The problem is the ass behind the steering wheel and the condition of the vehicle, whether modified or not.

I agree with Shaakir, it is just another useless piece of legislation.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

My suggestion:

Remember the Fauna and Flora. These guys had the power to confiscate all your belongings on the spot when caught in the wrong i.e. like fishing without a permit etc. Many guys' bakkies and camping equipment was confiscated.

So, goverment, declare Illegal Street racing as a severe crime. Raise the severity of the street racing, that if you are caught, then all your belongings you have with you, the car, cameras, phones, EVERYTHING, will be confiscated and you will be getting fined heavily. Not taking your car for a roadworthy, taking it away. Done!

That focuses on the crime and people doing it, and not the guys who mod their cars and do not take part in this crime.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

pietpetoors wrote:I gave this some thought; (I allow myself to think once a week)

The problem is street racing, not modified cars.

The bloke with his stock standard Hyandui Getz doing 160 (of which it is capable of doing) in a crowded 60 zone is just as likely to kill people as the bloke with a highly modified street racer.

Actually the bloke in a stock standard Getz is more likely to kill people than the guy with a proper highly modified street racer with disc brakes all round, bigger disc, bigger calipers, upgraded suspension for better handling in emergency situation, etc , etc , etc.

Another point is that a 100% original, badly maintained, un-roadworthy vehicle, is far more dangerous than a highly modified, spotless, well maintained, road worthy street racer.

The problem is not the mods. The problem is the ass behind the steering wheel and the condition of the vehicle, whether modified or not.

I agree with Shaakir, it is just another useless piece of legislation.
hey, dont confuse us with them FACTS .... :tease:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Been quietly following this thread .... until now. :D:
Bosfebok wrote:My suggestion:

Remember the Fauna and Flora. These guys had the power to confiscate all your belongings on the spot when caught in the wrong i.e. like fishing without a permit etc. Many guys' bakkies and camping equipment was confiscated.

So, goverment, declare Illegal Street racing as a severe crime. Raise the severity of the street racing, that if you are caught, then all your belongings you have with you, the car, cameras, phones, EVERYTHING, will be confiscated and you will be getting fined heavily. Not taking your car for a roadworthy, taking it away. Done!

That focuses on the crime and people doing it, and not the guys who mod their cars and do not take part in this crime.
Now this is a workable suggestion that targets the real problem. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Hello
Die meeste ongelukke gebeur as gevolg van die moer wat die stuurwiel vashou
Hansman&Vaaltyn
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lansdowne
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Ranger T6

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I used to have a fully modified car a few years ago. However I was never into street racing, the car was for my personal enjoyment. How does that make me a street racer?
Also what about all the taxis on the roads? Their seats are ripped out and replaced with upholstered steel frames so that more people can be squeezed into it. most of them are also modified with exhaust, mags etc. However they are still allowed to operate

Return to “General Mods”