Where do you fit your gas bottles?

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Where do you fit your gas bottles?

Post by grobbepj »

I have an Alucab canopy on my bakkie and all the doors open fully, so there is no stationary panels on the canopy (except the front and the roof). Unfortunately I also have a pretty low garage door and the bakkie fits with only millimeters to spare.

So everytime I go camping and want to take the 7kg gas bottle with I need to pull out the bakkie, install the gas bottle bracket on the roof and then be of. And the reverse when I get back before I can get the bakkie into the garage.

THis is becoming one of those small annoyances and was wondering if anybody have any bright ideas to do this differently or to keep it standing in the back of the canopy (although it takes a lot of space). Or am I just doomed until I get really g@tvol and have a go at the garage with an angle grinder for more space (theres plenty height inside but the arched doors are a big problem).
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Where do you fit your gas bottles?

Post by george »

Ek sit myne maar in een van daai swart melk kratte dan is daar nog plek vir 'n potjie en 'n paar los goed
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Pieter, my canopy is not square, but my back door is. I thus use the pices on the sides at the top as mounting points fot the two smaller gas bottles. In this way, I can also wait until a gas bottel is completely empty, before having it filled. I always use one bottel until empty. If I need to use two bottles at once, I always revert back to the one more frequently used until it is empty, before using the second one. I will always find a place to refill the first one, before the the second one gets empty.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Haboob wrote:Pieter, my canopy is not square, but my back door is. I thus use the pices on the sides at the top as mounting points fot the two smaller gas bottles. In this way, I can also wait until a gas bottel is completely empty, before having it filled. I always use one bottel until empty. If I need to use two bottles at once, I always revert back to the one more frequently used until it is empty, before using the second one. I will always find a place to refill the first one, before the the second one gets empty.
I have seen this arrangment on other canopies and it is ideal for this and I also like to carry two bottles for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately my canopy do not have a square door but follows the angle and therefore opens completely with no "stationary" sides to be used. Dammit....
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

How about inside, mounted on the roof :?: In other words bottle will be lying on its side.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Thunder02 wrote:How about inside, mounted on the roof :?: In other words bottle will be lying on its side.
Interesting idea...mmm.. will investigate this afternoon.

Come now weekend!!
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

Thunder02 wrote:How about inside, mounted on the roof :?: In other words bottle will be lying on its side.
Any ideas on a bracket to be used for such an application? i am thinking almost like a large fire extinguisher type mouting...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

sounds like you need a bigger garage .... just think of all the goodies that can they stay on the roof rack .... :)

I hate a gas can inside an enclosed area !! Rather work on "quick fit" bracket on the roof for the gas bottle.
grobbepj

Post by grobbepj »

ChrisF wrote:sounds like you need a bigger garage .... just think of all the goodies that can they stay on the roof rack .... :)

I hate a gas can inside an enclosed area !! Rather work on "quick fit" bracket on the roof for the gas bottle.
begin al vir my ok lyk of die angle grinder nie so slegte idee is nie :).

Sal net vir SWAMBO moet wegstuur vir die naweek,,,
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

grobbepj wrote:
Any ideas on a bracket to be used for such an application? i am thinking almost like a large fire extinguisher type mouting...
That was the thought, it's always better to store gas high up, so that if it does leak you will smell it. Gas is heavier than air.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Return to “General Mods”