Wiring for deep cycle batteries in trailer

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Wiring for deep cycle batteries in trailer

Post by Velo son »

We came in need of deep cycle batteries in the Echo 3 Offroader trailer because most of the remote campsites do not have electricity.

This modification involved routing a + and - cable from the Hilux's battery to the tailgate, ending with a plug. The wiring of the trailer started with a plug and was routed in the channel of it's chassis with the harness for the lights. The cables will enter the battery box with a rubber grommet.

Let's start off at the Hilux's (2.7 IFA 4x4) battery:
From the battery the cables are routed backwards towards the firewall and the positive gets a fusible link (near the fuel filter) with a 100A fuse. From there both cables run along the firewall (behind brake fluid lines) towards the brake booster. There it turns downwards to the chassis beam, avoiding the exhaust by passing behind a heat shield. From there it runs along a torsion bar and meets with the harness. As it runs along the harness it can be seen inside the wheel arch of the right back wheel. From there it exits the body through the hole on the top right next to the number plate where it ends with a plug which is fitted to a aluminium bracket which is fastened to the Hilux with 2 skrews.

Now for the trailer (Echo 4x4, Echo 3, Offroader):
The cables enter the trailer through the rectangular hole underneath the hitch, from there it runs inside the channel of the chassis, passing the axle and suspension, towards the battery box. The cables will enter the battery box through a rubber grommet.

The battery has a power supply which can charge it from 240V. Thus, the battery can be charged whilst driving (connected to the Hilux) or when 240V electricity is available.

The lights in and around the trailer(12V) are LED strip lights which can be cut to whatever length you need.

A shorter lead will be made from the same cables and plugs to provide the fridge with power inside the canopy when we are not traveling with the trailer. When we are traveling with the trailer the fridge would be inside the trailer.

NOTE: This project is not finished yet. Here are some pictures of the progress until now, I will post more pictures when the project is done.

Photos:
Fusible link with 100A fuse
1.jpg
Against firewall, towards brake booster
2.jpg
Downwards towards chassis
3.jpg
Along torsion bar, protected by heat shield.
4.jpg
Along harness, seen from hind wheel arch.
5.jpg
Along hind lights harness
7.jpg
Entering the trailer
8.jpg
Inside the channel
9.jpg
Expect more photos
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Wiring for deep cycle batteries in trailer

Post by Donkey »

Hi SW

Whatever you do make sure your connections are either crimped or soldered (if not already) with no loose connections. Also I suggest you also put your wiring in that black flexible ribbing/tubing to avoid any chance of the insulation rubbing open against the body and causing shot circuits.

Shweet :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

Donkey wrote:Hi SW

Whatever you do make sure your connections are either crimped or soldered (if not already) with no loose connections. Also I suggest you also put your wiring in that black flexible ribbing/tubing to avoid any chance of the insulation rubbing open against the body and causing shot circuits.

Shweet :thumbup:
+1
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Velo son »

Thanks Tumelo+Rudi. The crimping of the lugs will be done in a day or 2
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

It's better to go with a DC/DC charger, you can run much thinner cables to the back.

Unprotected heavy duty wiring isn't a good idea, many 4x4's have burnt out because of an electric short.

The 100a fuse near the battery is a must, however if the fuse blows because of a fault, you'll end up with flat batteries.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Velo son »

We are almost done, a few mishaps retarded the progress...
We realised that the battery is too high for the battery box --- so we placed another battery box inside the trailer and will be using the original one for storage space.
We installed a relay after we were informed that the power supply would use some of the batteries power when not supplying power.

Progress up to present:

Cables entering trailer through rubber grommets
12.jpg
Fused positive cable with shrinked lugs covered in heat-shrink sleeving.
13.jpg
Anderson plug at rear of Hilux. Fixed to an aluminium bar
14.jpg
Battery inside box tied to the side of the trailer's inside
15.jpg
Battery with its connections
16.jpg
Power supply and relay fixed to inside of trailer.
17.jpg
Strip lights fixed on the ouside of the trailer. It has a LED every 8cm and provides more than enough light.
18.jpg

All that is left to do is to add some more connections for chargers and the fridge ect.
We are going camping this weekend, to test the system. I will take some more photos of the Hilux and trailer in action and upload them.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Looking good! They call the stuff ribbed sleeving and it is not expensive. You can get it at most sound installation shops.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Midas and Autozone stock it aswell, and cheap
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

Return to “General Mods”