Hilux shocks help needed before tomorrow!!!!!

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Africansafarifilms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux shocks help needed before tomorrow!!!!!

Post by Africansafarifilms »

Hey guys

My 2011 2.5 DC 4x4 has been at the mechanic all week fixing little things and tomorrow we need to do shocks but not sure which.

The nose of the bakkie is very flat and low so we decided on heavy duty Hawie Springs Coils for the front as I will eventually put an ARB on the front. Issue now is to put in shocks. The coils add a 40mm lift in front so I assume standard size shocks all round will work?

The mechanic is thinking of Gabriel shocks, not sure which but the front are around R800 each and the rear around R700 each. Another brand is Tyndall heavy duty for similar price. Never heard of them.

So what you guys think? Will standard size shocks work and will Gabriel be a ok choice? I cannot afford the big name brands like EFS and OME.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux shocks help needed before tomorrow!!!!!

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Morgan, one normally fits a shock with a longer travel if you have lifted the suspension. However, 40mm is not excessive and since you plan on fitting an integrated bumper that's going to add weight in the front, you might find that the ride height will end up being close to standard. So standard shocks will work, you're just not going to get that little bit extra articulation that is normally associated with suspension upgrades.

The Gabriel might be a bit hard and that's going to affect your ride comfort, especially the front ones. I would rather fit Monroe's which should be more or less in the same price range, preferably the GasMagnums if you can afford a little bit extra.

Good luck. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Africansafarifilms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Hilux shocks help needed before tomorrow!!!!!

Post by Africansafarifilms »

Mud Dog

Thank you so much for your help. Will call my guys now and get the Monroe’s done. Really appreciate it

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”