Exhaust box

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
DuskyDivers
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 2.5D4D 4x4

Exhaust box

Post by DuskyDivers »

Evening all.

I have a 2006 2.5d4d 4x4 manual. No chip/mapping or intercooler yet.
Iv been looking at a cooler and mapping. Iv been told by the guy that would install the mapping and cooler to cut the 1 and only box I have on my exhaust out and put in a straight pipe all the way to the back..

Is this correct?

Reason I'm asking. I went to local exhaust shop to have that box cut out and they said they will not remove that box as I would not have any back pressure and this would cause problems with the turbo. They said some hilux's came out with a smaller box closer to the manifold and those are able to cut the big box out leaving the smaller 1st box Next person I speak to tells me the total opposite and I must cut the box out and have a pipe only all the way to the back. Same diameter as the flange from the turbo.

Please can someone advise?

Thanking you
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Exhaust box

Post by Mud Dog »

Speak to Dylan at Alex Motors and dyno tuning. He had a D4D but later converted it to Lexus V8. He should be able to give you meaningful advice. Tel 043 - 726 3211

He's hands on and he's always busy so you might be very lucky to get him on the line straight away, but be prepared to be patient if you have to wait for him to call you back.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Brad,

I have a 2013 SRX. I have a mandrel bend pipe with box at the back. Asked for box that would make the pipe sound more or less the same as standard one. Slightly louder.
A straight pie will drive you mad in the longrun.
The orginal pipe has a massive restriction right after the turbo. One reason why you would want to fit another pipe.
Make sure they fit a resonator (not sure what it is called). Mine is fitted a bout a third down the pipe.
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Know nothing about D4D's, but once had VW Kombi with a 2ct motor in. Had a straight 60mm pipe off the turbo and exiting behind the left rear wheel. No silencer, nada. Was not overly loud, in fact was actually quieter than the original air cooled VW setup. Van went like stink, 11Km/Lt Don't know how true it is, but was once told by a diesel mech that diesels do not need back pressure like a petrol engine, in fact the less the back pressure the faster the exhaust gasses can exit.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Won't back pressure on a turbo slow the turbo down?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

DuskyDivers wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:07 pm Evening all.

I have a 2006 2.5d4d 4x4 manual. No chip/mapping or intercooler yet.
Iv been looking at a cooler and mapping. Iv been told by the guy that would install the mapping and cooler to cut the 1 and only box I have on my exhaust out and put in a straight pipe all the way to the back..

Is this correct?

Reason I'm asking. I went to local exhaust shop to have that box cut out and they said they will not remove that box as I would not have any back pressure and this would cause problems with the turbo. They said some hilux's came out with a smaller box closer to the manifold and those are able to cut the big box out leaving the smaller 1st box Next person I speak to tells me the total opposite and I must cut the box out and have a pipe only all the way to the back. Same diameter as the flange from the turbo.

Please can someone advise?

Thanking you
Go to another exhaust shop - these guys clearly are moegoes! TD's don't need back pressure!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”