Reverse camera

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Reverse camera

Post by STAMPIE »

I've installed a touch screen radio from a Land Cruiser V8 Diesel in my Vigo Hilux.
Two things:
1. Which reverse camera should I buy to fit this "radio"? Input points are available on "radio".
2. How do one update the very slow and inaccurate GPS?
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Re: Reverse camera

Post by ismail »

Stampie, any camera would do, they about R300 from Soundmatch or similiar sound shop.

Which radio did you get, the one with 2 knobs or the earlier spec radio , not sure about the update tho
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Post by STAMPIE »

Ismail
Yes, the one with the 2 knobs. One on either side.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

1. Which reverse camera should I buy to fit this "radio"? Input points are available on "radio".

If it has the standard RCA video jack and 12V control lines, a R300 flea market jobbie will do just fine.
Got one myself and it works a charm. The 12V reverse line I sommer took from the rear reverse light.
No problems there.

2. How do one update the very slow and inaccurate GPS?

In all honesty...I am yet to come across a factory fitted GPS systems that is worthwile.
Could never figure out the standard map protocol for TOY. They have been using NAVTECH from what knows else.
You might be able to detect the source if the system has SD bmo the system.ini
I use IGO Primo on aftermarket, and even with that it takes hair on your teeth to upgrade.
My 2c opinion...just leave the factory GPS...with the system + map upgrade from TOY you will be able to afford a new Garmin anyways.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I have bought my Prado with a factory navigation unit fitted. It proves usefull for when driving around places and not always having to have a GPS. Most of my places I visit on business are long established places so I tend to not use a GPS that often anymore but rather use my phone to navigate sometimes when needed. GPS is used for holidays, travelling and exploring offroad.

SO Yes rather buy a seperate GPS and keep it for when needed. Use the factory maps for around the city on the main roads. They have not changed that much. Use it as a general direction giver and not a exact navigation device.
Johan Marais

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”