Some assistance required

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Some assistance required

Post by muki »

I'm currently outside sun city on my way to jhb. Pre trip inspection. I picked up right front outer CV leaking. I put a cable tie above the tear to try keep in grease. Driving to rustenberg now. Will stop at Toyota in rustenberg.

Would I be ok to drive like this back to CPT on Sunday? Or must I have it replaced? Any reasonable mechanics in jhb? Who won't Rob me.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Some assistance required

Post by Mud Dog »

If the cable tie is holding and there are no other tears in the boot it'll be OK to get you home. Not much dust on the open road so that's not so much of a problem as the grease getting out.

That said, replacing it now will give you peace of mind on the trip back.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I would also suggest replacing it sooner rather than later. If it rains on the way down, dusty/muddy water and muck will get in there, and mess the CV up, and it could mean that you end up stranded outside a small Karoo town where parts are not available. Something similar happened to us in Namibia last year. Luckily I could get a replacement CV joint in Outjo.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Valid point IRO rain / water Thys. If the reason for the existing tear is age / perishing, then another one could appear along the way.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

That's for the responses. Gut and Toyota mechanic agree that it should be fine seeing as it's a small tear and minimal grease loss. Got to jhb. It seems to be holding, minimal grease coming out. I don't think I'm Gona get any luck tomorrow to get a spare and get someone to replace. Videos I've seen shows its not really a quick DIY job. Need to pretty much strip everything?

The tear is right at the bottom. Planning on adding some grease and then sealing with some of that self fusing tape just to keep the remaining grease in and the water hopefully out. Cable tie will still be in place. Will keep an eye on weather but looks clear at the moment.

Would it be a good idea to replace all the boots of the van when I get back? Or is it a case of replace when broken only? It will at least give me chance to strip everything as Ive been suspecting a worn CV recently. And I have powerbrake discs to fit as well.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you're going to go as far as to strip to check the CV's then you might as well replace the boots on both sides. No point in going to all that effort without replacing them and AFAIK they're not overly pricey items.

While you're at it, check the ball joints and control arm bushes as well as tie-rod ends and idler arm. :winkx:

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm
While you're at it, check the ball joints and control arm bushes as well as tie-rod ends and idler arm. :winkx:
No idler arm on the Vigo’s Mud Dog. Rack ends and tie rod ends.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ahhh OK ..... I'm an SFA guy so forgive me. :D:

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

:thumbup:
Mud Dog wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:12 pm Ahhh OK ..... I'm an SFA guy so forgive me. :D:
:thumbup:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”