Oil Cooler for D4D Autobox

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Ulfie
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4x4 auto

Oil Cooler for D4D Autobox

Post by Ulfie »

Greetings,

Has anybody made any experiences in trying to size an oil cooler to cool the auto transmission fluid of a D4D D/C 4x4? I am planning to take a caravan up to Zim later this year, and really can do without an overheating torque converter, boiling oil, popped seals, charred oil and so on.....

I had a look at what's available, but do not have the knowhow to calculate or determine what the optimum size of oil cooler should be. Too small is self explanatory, but too large cannot be good either as then the ATF does not come up to operating temperature... Between a hard place and a rock again....

Maybe somebody can recommend a suitable professional outfit in Gauteng that would be knowledgeable on these matter that I could approach for advice and or possibly perform the installation?

Thanks, Ulfie
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Re: Oil Cooler for D4D Autobox

Post by Andries »

Hoe groter hoe beter vir 4x4.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

This is what one guy who did several Lexus conversion suggested I use for the Surf with Lexus auto box, I see there is dimensions on the one picture as well.
Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler
oil-cooler (5).jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler
Oil Cooler
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

On ATF coolers: - Bigger is Better. You can do no harm going too cold. Only limitation here is the space required for installation.
A surprising answer I got a while back from the pro's. (Still can't put the logic to it though) :blink:

One place I'd go to in Gauteng is Autobox in Koedoespoort. It is where Toyota send their transmissions to for repairs.

Their contact details is on website: http://www.autobox.co.za/index.html

Speak to Raymond. They do series/inline cooling which is nice. :thumbup:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I am also learning a lot on my fortuner as this is the first time I opted to go auto, from reading other guy's experiences with overheating it seams like the issue lies with the auto box changing gears, up and down. That is where the heat comes from, please correct me if I am wrong?

So I have changed the way drive with the auto, I find myself changing to drive to 3 quite often on uphills where the box changes between 4th and 3rd and especially when towing.

But it will be interesting to see what the experts say and what cooler you end up putting in :thumbup:
Ulfie
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4x4 auto

Post by Ulfie »

Hallo WayneSchalk,

Having gone into the topic a bit it appears it is less the gears changing that is a problem but more that the Auto box tries to use the highest gear at all times and to keep the engine revelations as low as the torque demand allows. This applies particularly when towing a heavy load, or driving in High range in soft sand. That puts a big torque requirement on the torque converter, and it gets hot, together with the rest of the box.

Keep the revs up, choose a lower gear, the torque required by the motor and torque converter drops and the heating of the Auto box is gone. But then the consumption of diesel is a bit of an issue, I do not like a diesel revving unnecessarily, nor straining if it is in a high gear. When towing, I find it is the long hills that give grief. And yes, I also stop any hunting by immediately intervening and selecting a lower gear.

And to Andries, Pietpetoors and Dirks - Thanks guys for your valuable information!

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”