To chip or not to chip?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
4x4 Newby
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux double cab d4d 4x4 auto.

To chip or not to chip?

Post by 4x4 Newby »

Hi all. I just bought a 2011 3.0 hilux 4x4 auto. With all extras that I could dream of. However with all these extras(canopy, arb front and rear bumbers,rocksliders,rooftoptent,front roofrack,ostrich wing.drawer system, drawer frigde. etc.)the weight of the bakkie is alot and fuel consumption not ideal.Now alot of people insisted I can install a chip to improve power and fuel consumption. Or to remove tent during my work days and just install it again before I leave for trips.The last option not very feasible.

Please advice as I am in uncharted grouds.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: To chip or not to chip?

Post by ChrisF »

Ettiene WELCOME to the forum.

I have the 2,5, and chipped it 18 months back, also with a HIGH canopy and a heavy load ...

The chip makes it "more responsive"

It also meant it can now PULL to much higher revs (that is also in part due to the fact that I fitted a free flow box in the exhaust)

It is now possible to pass a truck when doing 100km/h ...

I am convinced a chip is only as good as the dyno tune that accompanies it - purely as each vehicle has its own unique issues and a dyno can account for this.

fuel economy .... uhm ja .... it takes fuel to feed those horses .... :)

The way my chip was tuned I get better economy when staying below 110km/h - if you see my canopy you will understand :) BUT, when I put foot it harnasses the extra horses and I can pass a slow truck, or can maintain speed up a hill. But this WILL drop the fuel economy if you keep this up for long distances.

The ONLY way to consistantly drop your fuel consumption is to remove the RTT between trips. There is a quality hoist for this purpose - think it is called the Friedling Hoist. Dont waste your time trying other stuff .... without the correct hoist setup that RTT is a royal pain to manouvre ....
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: To chip or not to chip?

Post by pietpetoors »

See Thys's comments at
viewtopic.php?f=170&t=38734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”