OME Blade springs lifetime?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

OME Blade springs lifetime?

Post by subok »

I have Old Man Emu blades in the rear and the bakkie has 180 000 kms on the clock. The OME shocks and front shock/coils were replaced at 160 000 by L A Sport. (Apparently TJM Gold, but they are black?)
Question is, how long do the blades last/retain their functionality?
We have a Botswana trip coming up and we will be loaded more than we normally are with an extra pax and additional fuel and water for 6 days in CKGR.
Any advice, sharing of experience will be appreciated.
Front Coils Small.jpg
Front Coils Small.jpg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Front Coils
Rear Shocks Small.jpg
Rear Shocks Small.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Rear Shocks
OME Blades Nr1 Small.jpg
OME Blades Nr1 Small.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Code on OME Blades
OME Blades Nr2 Small.jpg
OME Blades Nr2 Small.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Another code
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Re: OME Blade springs lifetime?

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Speak to Louis from 4x4megaworldpta here on the forum. I know by default these blades come with a 3year 60k warranty. Personally I think it should be fine driving to Bots.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Kobus.

1st of all those "TJM" shocks look a bit suspect, they supposed to be gold like you say. Look for any marking that say Tjm, it must be clearly encraved on them. Look for the part no. aswell.

For the blades and coils they should last loooong except if there was any change in the setup of the Hilux since the suspension was 1st fitted. Let me give an example. If you specified before the fitment clean Hilux with canopy and maybe a aux tank in the rear and in the front just the nudge bar they will fit the light coils in the front and at the rear the medium leaf springs.(The 044R you got is medium carry spec).

Now lets say you added more to it the last years for example in front a replacement bumper & winch then you have get the heavy duty coils in the front otherwise the light duty coil will sag because of the extra weight. Then for the back, you added a drawer, rear replacement bumper and a water tank. In the back you just have to add another blade and longer centre bolt to the spring pack, this will increase your load capacity to heavy duty. If you got a lot of weight and it is there permanently on consider 2 extra blades.

If your setup did not change it should be fine. Some Vigo's we have done come around 160 000kms + to replace the shocks but none sofar came for blades that are shot, we find how ever some come for the upgrades in the leafsprings as the weight had changed from the initial fitment, we have the warranty papers of them so we can check.

If you got more questions let me know.

Louis
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

Dankie Louis! Hmm, dinge het bietjie verander. Ek dink ek moet jou maar kom sien. Ek sal jou kontakbesonderhede op die web soek.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Blades will last a lifetime! But .... you have added some permanent extras and you're gonna be loaded for your trips, so an extra blade will help, not only for keeping it level but also for better control with a load (sway). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

My brother has OME in his Vigo Hilux as well, I think he is on 220 000km on his set, no problems so far!
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

Thanks guys, I must be suffering from pre-trip paranoia :mrgreen:

I will try to let Louis have a look at the whole setup next week.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Hi Kobus.

1st of all those "TJM" shocks look a bit suspect, they supposed to be gold like you say. Look for any marking that say Tjm, it must be clearly encraved on them. Look for the part no. aswell.

For the blades and coils they should last loooong except if there was any change in the setup of the Hilux since the suspension was 1st fitted. Let me give an example. If you specified before the fitment clean Hilux with canopy and maybe a aux tank in the rear and in the front just the nudge bar they will fit the light coils in the front and at the rear the medium leaf springs.(The 044R you got is medium carry spec).

Now lets say you added more to it the last years for example in front a replacement bumper & winch then you have get the heavy duty coils in the front otherwise the light duty coil will sag because of the extra weight. Then for the back, you added a drawer, rear replacement bumper and a water tank. In the back you just have to add another blade and longer centre bolt to the spring pack, this will increase your load capacity to heavy duty. If you got a lot of weight and it is there permanently on consider 2 extra blades.

If your setup did not change it should be fine. Some Vigo's we have done come around 160 000kms + to replace the shocks but none sofar came for blades that are shot, we find how ever some come for the upgrades in the leafsprings as the weight had changed from the initial fitment, we have the warranty papers of them so we can check.

If you got more questions let me know.

Louis
My bakkie is daar by julle vandag, hoop om jou later te ontmoet.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by subok »

What great service from MW Menlyn today! Thanks to Shaun and Louis.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”