33" Tyres on 16's or 17"

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
climbingmike
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux mk6

33" Tyres on 16's or 17"

Post by climbingmike »

Hello All

I am looking to fit 33" tyres on to my Hilux. I was thing about 305/65r17 or 305/70r16. The question I have is I want to make sure there is other size options to me if I need to replace a tyre in the middle of no ware. Which is the more common wheel size in Africa, 16 or 17. I know there is a few sizing options on the 17 that will give me the same rolling circumference but I don't know if they are that common out in the sticks.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks
MIke
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 33" Tyres on 16's or 17"

Post by Mud Dog »

AFAIK 16" would be more common than 17" but then 15" is more common still. Also remember that the smaller the rim for the same rolling circumference, the taller the tyre profile which can be more beneficial - more air-cushion so a slightly softer ride and you can deflate further in sand for a bigger footprint with less likelihood of de-beading.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Re: 33" Tyres on 16's or 17"

Post by TOYODA »

Mud Dog wrote:AFAIK 16" would be more common than 17" but then 15" is more common still. Also remember that the smaller the rim for the same rolling circumference, the taller the tyre profile which can be more beneficial - more air-cushion so a slightly softer ride and you can deflate further in sand for a bigger footprint with less likelihood of de-beading.
+1

Mike, what year model do you have? D/C or S/C?

If a 15" fits, go with 15"s.
If a 16" fits, go with 16"s.
If a 17" fits, go with 17"s.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”