From HID back to Halogen lights

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

From HID back to Halogen lights

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Hi All,

I bought my Vigo fitted with HID upgrade headlights. In the past year or so I have becomes less and less impressed with these so called 'upgrades'. They shine all over the place, and blind all oncoming traffic.

How do I revert back to Halogen lights? Do I just go and buy Osram Nightbreakers and fit them int he current setup or should I remove the entire system with ballasts etc?

Info appreciated
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: From HID back to Halogen lights

Post by Mud Dog »

Remove / disconnect the ballasts and with a bit of luck the original plugs will still be on the harness. If not, you will have to get and fit. The normal halogens can then be used again.

Problem with the HID setup is that the beam focus is not the same since the 'element' is not in the same depth position as the halogens. If you were to replace the complete lamps with ones having the correct reflectors for the HID elements, there wouldn't be a problem. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Dewald... also went that route and eventually got rid of the HID's. Usually if it's an after market kit they come with a plug and play type setup where they have fittings and plugs that just fit onto the standard setup.

So you should be able to just remove the balasts and wiring and fit the halogen.
To God be the glory
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks for the replies, I am not technical at all, so if I take this to and auto sparky, it should be relatively quick and painless to remove?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

yep! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Dewald Posthumus wrote:Thanks for the replies, I am not technical at all, so if I take this to and auto sparky, it should be relatively quick and painless to remove?
Jip.... if he takes any longer than an hour he is wasting your time and money
To God be the glory
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fantastic thanks!
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

I stepped in the same hole....had my "HID upgrade" :thumbdown: in for a week. It does not work aftermarket without changing lenses.

Pulled mine out in about twenty minutes. Most difficult part was removing the battery....

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”