Steel Rims for 2006 Toyota Hilux 2.7 VVTI

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
wazriley
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Hilux 2.7 VVTI

Steel Rims for 2006 Toyota Hilux 2.7 VVTI

Post by wazriley »

Hi Guys,

I have a 2006 Toyota Hilux 2.7VVTI 4x2 DC, currently stock standard. I would like to fit some steel rims with mud terrain tyres and was hoping someone has had some experience in finding steelies that fit ?

From phoning around it seems that the standard 15inch trailduster rims catch the front caliper, would this be the case if i moved onto a 16 inch rim ?

Any help would be much appreciated, I would even consider importing steel rims if need be, would just need help in finding the correct offset and diamater so that the calipers dont catch

Warren
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Re: Steel Rims for 2006 Toyota Hilux 2.7 VVTI

Post by TOYODA »

Hi Warren,

What size tyre do you want to fit?

If you still have the standard 15" mag, just put a 30x9.5R15 or a 31x10.5R15 on it.

I'm running a 31" Cooper STT's on my standard 15" mags and have never scratched one while offroading.
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ya, even if you go for the 16 inch they will also touch, i think its because of the steelrims "offset" and spoke pattern..(i could be wrong) i have 15 inch 8.5j steel rims with 31x 10.5 on my 06, i just grinded the calipers back by like 3mm, just be carefull not to grind to much off, otherwise the calipers will leak... (happend to me on the 1st try :blackeye: )

I am in Durbanville so if you want we can meet up sometime and ill show you what i did..
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
wazriley

Post by wazriley »

Hi Truckin,

Did you ever consider using spacers to avoid grinding caliper?

Could you also reccomend best place in Cape Town to buy the steel rims ?

Thanks
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Hi warren
Im not a big fan of wheel spacers.. and if you put spacers in the front you'll need to do it in the back aswel.. otherwise its going to look funny running a wider track just infront, my other issue is that spacers put more strain on your wheel bearings because you redistributing the lux's weight outwards,(maybe im wrong but thats how i see it)
on the other hand.. the steelrims have an 0 deg offset.. so if you get the 8.5j rims they are wider than the standard 7j rims.. they will stand out from the wheel arch.. and the 31x10.5x15 tyre fits better on it...

as far as i know not many places stock them but they can order them for you.. i got my 1st set from auto quip across from tygervally, and my new set i bought here from one of our club members (2nd hand) you can buy 2nd hand ones on the forum or gumtree, they normally go for around R250 each second hand with no tyres on..
Attachments
my lux.JPG
my lux.JPG (49.24 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
wazriley

Post by wazriley »

Guys I have my origonal 2006 Hilux rims for sale with tyres )In good condition. If anyone interested please let me know
Attachments
tyres3.JPG
(76.87 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
tyres1.JPG
(63.29 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
tyres2.JPG
(87.09 KiB) Downloaded 851 times

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”