Mag rims catches on the steering tie-rod

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Derek670521
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hiluc

Mag rims catches on the steering tie-rod

Post by Derek670521 »

I am sure this is going to be a bigger pain than i suspect...but here goes....i have standard steel 15" rims on a 2003 hilux raider....i bought mag rims replacements....these rims are 15" x 8".....the issue is that the driver side steering tie rod end touches the mag rim....so the new rim sits too deep on the hub i suspect......which is weird..as the other side is ok.....if i am looking for a different mag wheel... is there a code i need to look for? ....any help or advise will be appreciated...tx Derek
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: Mag rims catches on the steering tie-rod

Post by JAMES399 »

I also have an '03 Hilux 4x4. After reading your post, I looked under my truck and the clearance between the tie rod and my 16" x 8" aftermarket rim is only about 3/4". i believe your problem is due to the 15" rims that your running. My truck has 16" rims, and I thought that was the size that came on all new '03 Hiluxes. After looking at my truck, I think if I tried to put 15" rims on it that there would be interference too. Best to trial fit the rims before buying.

- JAMES
rim.png
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hello Derek
The alternative may be to get wheel adaptors if you still want to use those rims. The wheel adaptors must be hub centric though, for safety.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Bear wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:59 pm Hello Derek
The alternative may be to get wheel adaptors if you still want to use those rims. The wheel adaptors must be hub centric though, for safety.
The problem with wheel adapters is that they change the relationship between the tire/rim centerline and the spindle pivot point. This can make for some pretty sketchy handling.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”