DISC BRAKE UPGRADE

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

DISC BRAKE UPGRADE

Post by JAMES399 »

I have a 2003 Hilux DCSB 4x4. I want to upgrade the rear brakes from drum to disc. Is there a bolt-on conversion that utilizes discs from another Toyota ??

- JAMES
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: DISC BRAKE UPGRADE

Post by Mars »

I am not aware of one. I am also not convinced that it is always the best idea to do it. Your front brakes do by far the most of the work. That is why front disks and pads are always so much bigger than the rears. You do not want to end up getting the balance wrong and end up with locking rear brakes.

I have done it before with mixed reults. Most instances the cost and effort is not worth the trouble. One instance worked well and that was for a model where the lower end car had drums and the higher end model had disks. So all other varables were the same except for the brakes and engine output. That was a straight bolt on and worked well. I don't want to discourage innovation etc. but simply want to raise some of the issues.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars wrote:Your front brakes do by far the most of the work. That is why front disks and pads are always so much bigger than the rears. You do not want to end up getting the balance wrong and end up with locking rear brakes.
Exactly right. IMO it's no worth the effort and you will have very little improved braking power once you have got the balance between front and rear sorted. Rather spend the money on upgrading the front. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Thanks for the advice. If no bolt on is available, I'll leave things as is.

- JAMES

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”