Fog lights

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Jude
Town: West Coast
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Fog lights

Post by Jude »

Hello to you all. I am a proud owner of a ,2004 kzte. I would like to know if a set of fog lights can be fitted to the space in the bumper. I managed to source the lights with the looms n kits however I'm not sure if it can be installed specifically into the front bumper. When I had a look it doesn't seem to have a mounting place. Thank you for any suggestions and advice. Regards Jude
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fog lights

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Jannie and welcome! :thumbup:

To be honest I've not come across an instance where this has been done, but I don't see why it can't be. I think most folk would just simply mount fog lamps to a nudge bar / bull bar since that would be the easiest, or otherwise have them fitted into after market or custom integrated bumpers.

The first thing that comes to mind is that there were at least two different bumper styles, the first had a sort of uniform inward sloping contour from about half way down and towards the sides while the other had a depression on each side that looked like they were meant to house fog lamps. Which one do you have? A pic might help.

The second thing is what lamps you have in your kit - are they round or rectangular shaped?

The other thing I think of besides creating housings for the lamps is how they will be secured and supported since the bumpers are plastic and may not be very rigid. Also will the plastic be able to carry the weight of the lamps along bumpy gravel roads without breaking free. The guys that do repairs to plastic bumpers could help you there and build custom housings for your lamps into the bumper with support structures behind like ribs and gussets.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jude

Post by Jude »

Hi Andy. Thank you for the response. The bumper has a depression on either sides as you have indicated, the lamps that i have are the ones that is manufactured for the bumper with the depression on either side of the bumper
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Great! Then it should be fairly easy to fit them Jannie. I would make a cardboard template from the lights and then use that to mark the cut-outs on the bumper. Do the lights have some kind of surrounding edge or flange for securing to the edge of the cut-out on the bumper?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jude

Post by Jude »

Thanks Andy for the advice. The lights do have an edge/flange which can be used to mount the light on the front bumper.

THank you
Jannie
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
Show us a pic or two once you're done. :winkx:

Rattlesnake
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2004 Hilux KZ-TE 4x4. Intercooler. Chip. Dyno. tuned
Club VHF Licence: X07

Post by Rattlesnake »

Hi Jannie. If you talking about the lights in the bottom half of the bumper, it can be done. I have a set fitted in there. Its its not difficult to do it.
Jude

Post by Jude »

Hi Johan
Do you perhaps have pics and advice as to how you have done that installation. Especially how to mout the lights and if brackets are used. Any info as it will be off assistance.

thank you
Rattlesnake
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rattlesnake »

Hi Jannie. Here is my nr 084 888 1973.
Jude

Post by Jude »

Thanks Johan will give you a call tomorrow during the day
Rattlesnake
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rattlesnake »

👍
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Jude -

I added fog lamps to my '03 Hilux a while back. Like yours mine had the indentations for the lights but no openings and no mounting points.
orig underbumper.png
orig underbumper.png (113.92 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
I cut the openings, leaving some to attach mounting brackets that I made out of aluminun angle stock.

cutout.png
cutout.png (84.71 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
I've had the lights installed for over 6 months, and no problems.
new grille.png
new grille.png (211.95 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Good luck with your installation.

- JAMES

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”