2003 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrades.

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

2003 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrades.

Post by JAMES399 »

I have a 2003 Hilux 4x4 DCSB. I love my truck. But ... we live in the RURAL mountainous area of Colombia, and the roads are pretty much horse trails. Getting to a paved road takes at least an hour of driving over some really ROUGH dirt roads. I want to upgrade the shocks on my truck. Just better shocks and steering stabilizer. I just want some shocks/stabilizer that are more heavy duty, but not super off road. Anyone have suggestion for a shock/stabilizer that is heavy duty but not super expensive?? I'll buy original equipment if push comes to shove, but would like something that will cope with the roads here a little better. Anyone help me with this ??? Thanks. If I have to get them outside the country, no problem. I can work out the shipping.

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2003 Hilux 4x4 suspension upgrades.

Post by Mud Dog »

Original equipment might be an option but I would suggest something that gives a softer ride, like Monroe (if you get them over there). Otherwise look at Old Man Emu or something that is adjustable like shock models offered by Bilstein, Pro-Comp or Fox. Harder shocks are more for traction on paved surfaces and in rough terrain can even do damage. The steering damper can be standard or on the harder side so that it doesn't throw the steering around from side to side in your hands.

Just my opinion. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
kzteshooter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Calvinia
Vehicle: 3.0L KZ-TE 4x2

Post by kzteshooter »

JAMES399 wrote:I have a 2003 Hilux 4x4 DCSB. I love my truck. But ... we live in the RURAL mountainous area of Colombia, and the roads are pretty much horse trails. Getting to a paved road takes at least an hour of driving over some really ROUGH dirt roads. I want to upgrade the shocks on my truck. Just better shocks and steering stabilizer. I just want some shocks/stabilizer that are more heavy duty, but not super off road. Anyone have suggestion for a shock/stabilizer that is heavy duty but not super expensive?? I'll buy original equipment if push comes to shove, but would like something that will cope with the roads here a little better. Anyone help me with this ??? Thanks. If I have to get them outside the country, no problem. I can work out the shipping.

- JAMES
Monroe definitely, the Gas Magnum ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kzteshooter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Calvinia
Vehicle: 3.0L KZ-TE 4x2

Post by kzteshooter »

kzteshooter wrote:
JAMES399 wrote:I have a 2003 Hilux 4x4 DCSB. I love my truck. But ... we live in the RURAL mountainous area of Colombia, and the roads are pretty much horse trails. Getting to a paved road takes at least an hour of driving over some really ROUGH dirt roads. I want to upgrade the shocks on my truck. Just better shocks and steering stabilizer. I just want some shocks/stabilizer that are more heavy duty, but not super off road. Anyone have suggestion for a shock/stabilizer that is heavy duty but not super expensive?? I'll buy original equipment if push comes to shove, but would like something that will cope with the roads here a little better. Anyone help me with this ??? Thanks. If I have to get them outside the country, no problem. I can work out the shipping.

- JAMES
Monroe definitely, the Gas Magnum ones.

Also if the truck rides very hard and you dont load much in the back consider removing one leaf-spring from the rear packs. Makes a huge difference.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”