Sound/Heat Insulation in IFS

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Sound/Heat Insulation in IFS

Post by drew3 »

Hi all,

I am contemplating installing some for of sound deadening/dampening material into my Hilux. I have found a lot of useful information on various forums and also on threads here, but can seem to find one specific to the IFS.

Here are some links for anybody else that is interested:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... -Reduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewtopic.php?t=36753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... 20proofing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... 0deadening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My IFS is not particularly loud, probably just as loud as any, but I do find that at 120km/h that I have to put the music up much loader than it probably has to be in order to hear it properly (and it's not clear, but that's a seperator issue), and I have to talk loader than normal when having a conversation. Furthermore, I only really drive long distance, and the constant minor droning for several hours definitely contributes to fatigue. The heat insulation is not really a concern to me.

I have found that there are several products available: from the more expensive Dynamat and Second Skin, to the cheaper Sondor and Acoustex. In one of the links above you will find someone who achieved apparently great differences in sound and heat insulation using the cheaper Acoustex and simple camping mats... probably what I will end up doing.

What I am trying to find out, is if this is actually worthwhile for the IFS? Upon inspection under the carpets, I have found that my Lux has some form of silver hard lining approximately 2-3mm think already lining the floor under the carpet, and I can't seem to find anything suggesting if this is a heat/sound insulator already installed. It definitely appears to be original to the vehicle and not after market. If anybody can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. Also, how do you remove the headlining on an IFS?

Regarding amounts and localities of application, it seems some suggest that you can have very good sound insulation improvement by only putting the stuff on 25% of the vehill interior, while suppliers/installers tell you to cover every square inch (obviously they would). I was told by a supplier (Acoustic Audio) that I would need to boxes of the Second Skin product (Damplifier Pro) to do my Hilux, which equates to approximately 6.5 square meters.

I suspect I may just do the door linings first to see if there is any improvement before committing to any other part of the car, but apparently most of the "ambient noise" comings through the roof.

Now that I've typed a lot, my main questions are:

1) Has anybody done this in an IFS and was it worth it?
2) Does the IFS come with some form of insulaton under the carpets?
3) How do you remove the headlining of an IFS?

Would be interesting to get some input from other forum members.
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Sound/Heat Insulation in IFS

Post by Haboob »

Had a SFA in which I put asbestos fibre matting under the carpet, which worked well for heat as well as a sound dampener.
This you would get from people who make fire deterrent products.
Hope you come right.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I drive two IFS models, and none of them have a noise problem! Have you checked the gear rubber boot to see if it is not torn? Solved my problem with Bulldog (SFA).

Another thing is check carefully if all the rubbers in the firewall are intact. One of the previous owners of Hound Dog removed the rubber bung around the wiring loom to fit thicker cables through, and that made one hell of a noise - fan noise from the engine at speed. I sorted that out and now she is as quiet as a kitten!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Post by drew3 »

Thanks for the responses Haboob and Family_Dog,

I will take a look at the firewall and any connections running through it.
2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”