EGT sensor in manifold

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
RaymondH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Pajero Sport

EGT sensor in manifold

Post by RaymondH »

Good day All

I need advice on how to drill the hole for the EGT sensor,

some say, you just drill it with the engine running, revving it a bit to help blow the metal shaving out so that they don't go through the turbo. others say use a magnet after you drilled the hole.

I know the safest way is to remove the manifold and then drill the hole, but can it be done any other way?

regards
2010 Pajero Sport.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: EGT sensor in manifold

Post by Mr_B »

While you at it why not drill another hole and install a water/meth injector to lower the EGT? I'm thinking of doing it, as I've read of so many turbo diesels that crack heads from too high EGT's.
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Raymond, I drilled mine with the motor running. You can see the bits of iron being blown out. Its very small bits, I have seen bits of carbon which are bigger that pass through just fine. Just start with a very small bit and go up step by step size wise. 11/32 is the the imperial bit size of the biggest hole you should make. Assuming you are going to tap it to a 1/8 27tpi npt which is commonly used for egt sensors. The one madman sells is a 1/8 npt 27tpi.

1. Start engine
2. spray some cutting fluid.
3. start drilling with a 1mm
4. 2mm
7. 5mm
10. 8.5mm (this is the biggest metric bit you should use don't do a 9mm)
11. 11/32 bit (if you dont have one you can try tapping the 8.5mm hole. its just harder and not good for your tap and if you break the tap off in the manifold. then you are screwed).
12. tap hole with 1/8 27tpi npt tap. liberally apply cutting fluid to tap, clean tap regularly
13. you can use a magnet too if the motor is not running
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Kzte

Post by Drifter X »

Raymond I also drilled whilst the engine was running, very similar to Johan above. Just be sure to use a good quality drill bit and cutting fluid, makes the task very manageable.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”