Kill Switch

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Kill Switch

Post by WayneMan »

Hi Guys

If I installed a 'secret' kill switch on the ignition of my KZ-TE, and some one tried to 'hot wired' it, (without finding the kill switch) would the car still be able to be started it it were push started, or by any other means ?
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Re: Kill Switch

Post by MOFASA »

WayneMan wrote:Hi Guys

If I installed a 'secret' kill switch on the ignition of my KZ-TE, and some one tried to 'hot wired' it, (without finding the kill switch) would the car still be able to be started it it were push started, or by any other means ?
If you cut all power to the car completely and run a small bypass wire to keep your radio and clock etc powered it should not be able to start......
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

They only time they will be able to start it with a kill switch in place is if your kill switch is bypassed with their hot wiring. So choose the location and point in the wiring well
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

think about what you want to do with this switch -
- disable the fuel pump (if the vehicle has an electric fuel pump)
- add a solenoid to the fuel line ...
- in the old days you could ground the coil
- bit obvious to prevent the starter from swinging, and way to easy to over ride
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Great, thanks.
Any other similar options available ?
What about putting a kill swith to a sensor or sorts in the engine bay, which, if they did try start it, it wold not run properly?
What electronics in the engine are vital for the engine to run ?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

WayneMan wrote:Great, thanks.
Any other similar options available ?
What about putting a kill swith to a sensor or sorts in the engine bay, which, if they did try start it, it wold not run properly?
What electronics in the engine are vital for the engine to run ?
The starter or fuel!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don,t even bother with starter or ignition coil .... these guys carry spare jumpers in their pockets and just connect straight to the battery, drive off and look for your creative wiring later. Fuel pump is the best option IMO ... if it's EFI they won't even get it started, but might still have time to look for or bypass the fault. If it's a carb, they''ll get started and start moving ... chances are that it'll die while they're obstructing traffic and drawing attention in which case they will most likely abandon the vehicle.

M2CW

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux Raider
Club VHF Licence: Lema,

Post by legend »

Mud Dog wrote:Don,t even bother with starter or ignition coil .... these guys carry spare jumpers in their pockets and just connect straight to the battery, drive off and look for your creative wiring later. Fuel pump is the best option IMO ... if it's EFI they won't even get it started, but might still have time to look for or bypass the fault. If it's a carb, they''ll get started and start moving ... chances are that it'll die while they're obstructing traffic and drawing attention in which case they will most likely abandon the vehicle.

M2CW

;-)
connected my switch on the fresh air intake on dash board direct to a solenoid that cuts the fuel direct. So! if i stop my lux i switch the fresh air intake to cab circulation and that will open the switch and break the circuit to the solenoid coil. They have tried to steel my Lux about 3 times no and it was the cost of a door lock,ignition,and fuses.....lucky not the Lux :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: Bought the switch with the solenoid coil at GT Electronics in Boksburg and the cost was round about R90
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Door rear for SFA HiLUX

Post by legend »

Hey there manne!

I am on the hunt for a left rear door for a double cab SFA...can any body assist? :beg: :beg: :beg:
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Re: Door rear for SFA HiLUX

Post by HennieO »

legend wrote:Hey there manne!

I am on the hunt for a left rear door for a double cab SFA...can any body assist? :beg: :beg: :beg:

Leon, I suggest you ask for this in the "WANTED" thread. You'll be surprised with the responses you get!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

Just m2cw in the way of a little story :wave:
I had tried to put a kill switch in for the fuel pump and even with the fuel pump completley disconnected, the car still ran????

The guy told me it was impossible to kill a hilux :clap:
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

:yahoo: :celebrate: :clap:

Now ain't that the truth!!
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

On my EFi 4Y I just pulled the ECU relay and put it in my pocket.
legend
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by legend »

MOFASA wrote:

If you cut all power to the car completely and run a small bypass wire to keep your radio and clock etc powered it should not be able to start......
Hey there Johno!

Sorry for not coming back to you ,been out the country and arrived today.For security reasons send me youre e-mail address
and I will send you the diagram for the hole project. Not being sarcastic but you can never trust nobody. I don't want to tel the world where our secret switches are been hidden. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Wayne, this is my set up. Have a relay that controls the ECU via a kill switch located somewhere. Even on the kill switch there is still a sequence before you can activate the ECU. So the they can replace the ECU with their own but will only crank until battery dies.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Jashalux
Town: Melbourne
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Jashalux »

legend wrote:
MOFASA wrote:

Hey there Johno!

Sorry for not coming back to you ,been out the country and arrived today.For security reasons send me youre e-mail address
and I will send you the diagram for the hole project. Not being sarcastic but you can never trust nobody. I don't want to tel the world where our secret switches are been hidden. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hi all would it be possible to send me a wiring diagram as there has been a spate of hilux thefts in my area
Jashalux
Town: Melbourne
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Jashalux »

Hi guys there has been alot of hilux thefts im my area melbourne Australia it would be much appreciated it someone could share a wiring diagram for a kill switch
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Post by Nick S »

My 2cw
I had a kill switch in my 2013 Vigo. Admittedly a kill switch on the fuel line. It still was stolen
:thumbdown:
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”