KZTE Long Range Tank - Pipe in right place?

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
morganharris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

KZTE Long Range Tank - Pipe in right place?

Post by morganharris »

Hey Guys

I got a 61L tank fitted to my 2004 KZTE Double Cab a few months back by LA Sport in Bloemfontein. Had non stop issues with it, never seemed to fill up all the way.

I know a standard tank is around 81L and the extra tank 61L. Total 142L (plus minus). Now driving the vehicle until its completely empty and gives that first jerk then filling up. Never could get it to fill past 110L, so something is wrong.

Took it back to them, they said it must have been an issue with the breather, so they "fixed it". Still same problem.

Took it back today and "fixed" it again. This time, I showed them that the fuel line from the filler into the spare tank runs up and over my chassis, so in my opinion not all the fuel will get into that tank if it first has to go up and over. So they gave it back today and moved the fuel line to the side inside my wheel arch. Now im afraid it will get damaged in the bush somehow?

Any ideas???

Also, you guys out there with the same vehicle, where does your fuel line run from the filler into the tank?

Here are some pics.

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: KZTE Long Range Tank - Pipe in right place?

Post by OOOOMS »

Yaaiks Morgan, sorry can't help with the KZ config. but that looks very dangerous, even a stone could damage the pipe in the wheel arch.......

Can the pipe not be moved deeper inwards?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mine also looks more like you explained the first time
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
MonsterKZTE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4

Post by MonsterKZTE »

Hi Morgan,

I fitted a long range tank as well and my experience is that you need to do certain things when filling up:

- I need to shake and even pull on the door to get air out
- Remember that the auxillary fiils up first and the flow to your original tank is slower as the main inlet....takes some time to fill up
- I am always trying to have the nose of my Lux lower than the back side to fill it up.
- If I guess we do have similar tanks and the most I can get in is about 136 liters
- Once the fuel is at the inlet start to shake and "roll" the Lux and be patient with the foam as well.
- With my tanks full I have a range of maximum 950km on a tank and testing the kilo's with my GPS I get about 8km/l (big tyres and suspension eat my kilo's)

Hope that my info makes sense.

MonsterKZTE
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Q: from the filler cap, are there two pipes ie a 'V' one main pipe to the Aux tank and one going to the man tank?

I had this problem with my previous vehicle and took 30min;s to fill...very frustrating (180l), then found out that my main tank's breather was not functioning properly, replaced it and walla problem solved :thumbup:
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

I had this problem with my previous vehicle and took 30min;s to fill...very frustrating (180l), then found out that my main tank's breather was not functioning properly, replaced it and walla problem solved
I have the 30 min problem myself(150l). When I get to the filling station, the pump attendants pretend not to see me or simply run away! :lol:

:idea: :idea: Calling Allan.............please add this to your list when my bakkie is there next week! :idea: :idea:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

I have a 2700i with the Frontrunner LRT, I think 61,5 litres.

It fills up fast enough, but when ful full, and the bakkie stands in the sun, petrol leaks out of the tank. Quite a lot.

Anyone with similar issues??

Sorry if it seems like hijacking your thread - but it is still relevant??
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Where does it leak from, Petri? If it's from the filler / breather hoses behind it may be a bugger to fix, but if it's from the filler cap then maybe just replace the cap. These caps usually have a relief breather to allow for heat expansion of the fuel so before you replace the cap bear in mind that if there is no head of 'air' at the cap it will push out fuel, even with a good cap.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”