Ecu failure, I hope not!

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
CX-07RAID
Town: Knysna
Vehicle: 2,7 DBL caddie 04 Hilux

Ecu failure, I hope not!

Post by CX-07RAID »

Please don't give me any slack here guys I'm already super imbrassed by my amature mechanic actions,I need some input please before pay for a tow . A combination of mistakes and and let's blame jetlag ended up with me directly shorting out my 2004 hilux twice properly.. with my missus on the jumper cable's shouting big flames and me shouting just hold it baby with the hotter blaring and me confused try to understand with my basic electrical experience:) For 5 years my bukkie has lived in a storage unit with no power outlet to charge I work abroad so theres no other options, longest I abandoned it was 2 years! everything disconnected, on chocks and it started straight without a cough, I arrived with a new battery and tool box expecting atleast a little resistance! I was amazed, It's never let me down macanial, I service it at toyota every 5k despite to costs. And we have done some amazing trips in the old girl, check out #touringafrica it's been epic, I was super impressed with the older toyotas reliability and consistency 😎 the last time we left SA my other half left the spotties on for the night before it got stowed, jump started it in reverse proudly and then drove it casual for 10 min before putting it to sleep nose first in the storage unit thinking she's a boss, she disconnected everything asI throughly taught her, good job for the first time I suppose.. Well I new the battery might be damaged, but this was only 2 months ago so I had hope, sole I pushed it out, no power steering or breaks, blocking the hole storage companys exit access, with intentions to access ing my battery with my long jumpers, east job rite! I'm pretty nifty with tools and this was amateurs work for me. Missus pulled up with the polo and it should be a easy jump . . Some how I mixed the polarity properly,twice for long and was confused why it sparked so much. . . 'maybe something was on I was thinking' I left the jumpes connected for a good couple secs thinking why's my hooter ringing, alarm? And then it clicked, luckily the hire polo kicked over ofter some panic attacks cause I didn't compress the cluch first. At this point I'm weewee'd, there's a car trying to get out the storage and giving me death looks! The alternator fuse blown okay, so I quickly shorted it out to pull my gig out of the way, fixed the +to - problem and now it just cranks and cranks, no sparks in my newly acwired amateur option. Checked all fuses with no luck, all good. I have hit Google hard and it says the ECU, surely not:?: surely it's fused? Any ideas chaps, it's been blunder today. :think:
Attachments
Removed this fuse in anger? How eles
Removed this fuse in anger? How eles
The rig
The rig
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Ecu failure, I hope not!

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mmmmmmm......welcome to the forum!

You made me think real long and hard! Iirc there is a big, fat fuse somewhere near the battery, basically just after the + clamp that shouild have blown.

If it is the ecu, Ecu Technologies in CT should be able to do the repairs for you.

Good lock and please give some feedback?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: Ecu failure, I hope not!

Post by JAMES399 »

CX-07RAID -
I checked out the wiring diagram for your truck. Only a small number of circuits are connected directly to the battery. All others go through the ignition switch and are protected in case the battery is hooked up in reverse. Unfortunately the ECU circuit is connected directly to the battery, and probably was damaged when the charging cables were reverse connected. If you're unsure how to test the ECU, I think it would be best to have a good auto electrical shop check it out.
If it is the ECU, then it will cost you a pretty penny. In the US, used ECUs run from $80 to $400, depending on part number. Probably can have it refurbed for less, but before doing anything I would have a reliable shop check it out.

- JAMES

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”